Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Fiona Call

Liner burn...

Dear all,

I have an iceross dermo liner and my leg is a pin system one. Ever since I got it I have had burning pain in certain areas of my skin whilst wearing the liner. This has now become so bad that I have to take the leg off whenever I am sitting down, and even whilst walking it has started to burn so much that it sometimes makes me cry.

I have decided that this can't be right. My leg is largely comfortable apart from this, and it is really restricting my activity levels. As a guideline, the burning sensation only really starts to get unbearable when the skin on my leg is already slightly irritated. At the moment, I have two sore (ie. burning) points on my leg, and they are both in places where the socket is slightly too tight (but not tight enough for me not to need socks, or to cause any other real discomfort). The minute I take the leg off the pain goes away, but that's not the point of the thing, is it??

Has this happened to anyone else with silicone liners, and if so, what did you do to make the pain go away?

I would be really grateful for some input on this, as it is driving me mad (and making my cry on the street in front of lots of random people!!)

Fiona x

I use an Iceross Stabilo liner. It doesn't give me too many problems although sometimes with new ones I get an itchy rash around the top. This usually clears with a few good washes. Is the burning just a sensation or do you get a rash or any kind of marks where it hurts? It may be that your socket is too tight or it could be a reaction to the liner. Either way it's probably best to have a word with your prosthetist to see if he can get rid of the problem.

Sorry for not being more helpfull.

Thanks for the reply Muz,

When I take the liner off my leg is red in the places in which it has been burning, but there is no actual rash, and the pain disappears completely - even if I press down hard on the sore areas. So it is definitely more of a sensation than anything that is actually wrong with the skin.

It is exactly in the places where I know that my socket is too tight that the burning sensation is, and so I do think it is more likely to be the socket than my leg reacting to the liner, especially as I didn't really have this problem with my first two legs, and it is just since I got this one that it got really bad. It is just incredibly irritating. When I go to see my prosthetist next I am going to tell her about this, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a way I can lessen the burining until then?

I really appreciate it!

x x

I had a problem being too loose about halfway up my stump, but using another sock made it too tight on the bottom. He had me cut one in half and pull it up to where I was loose. It worked. Maybe if your tight spots are toward the bottom this might work.

You might want to mark the spots on on of your socks to give your doc and idea of the places that need to be smouthed down.

-Bill

Hi Fiona

As Bill said, you could reduce your sock in size, or you could use a thin nylon one.

If you need to apply something directly to your skin, you could try the Alps prosthetic skin lotion, but be warned...a little goes a very long way! ;)

Lizzie :)

Now isn't this strange ..

If any of you read my postings in Ally's Iceross liner thread, you would have seen the problems I was experiencing with an Iceross Stabilo (pure silicon) Liner.

In an attempt to eliminate the problem my prothsetist has put me into an Iceross Dermo liner. This has been fine, I have worn it over the past 3 weeks or so from eary morning until late at night with no problems (except a minor itch or two) Until last night that is, when I experienced the worst burning sensation ever.

I mean my leg was on fire, it stung like hell and had red blotches all over with raised welts behind my knee. So bad I had to take the liner off immediately and apply an ice pack to eliminate the burning. The marks subsided overnight and today it has been ok with one exception, when I had the stinging burning sensation return on my knee cap where there is no socket or pressure. The liner is meticulously washed and dried every day it does not come into contact with any irritants, so tell me, what is going on here ?? :(

Hi Fiona,

Oh I sympathise with you. I hate it and it's totally awful. It sounds very much what I use to get and still do with new liners. Only lasts until they are worn in but hey that is long enough :unsure: I used to get to the point where I'd nearly be in tears also and doubley frustrated becuase the rest of me felt fine-but it is totally distracting.

There are a few things I do. I use a prosthetic gel really thick so that the liner itself is not actually stuck to my skin.

Second and this is naughty and not reccommended; I leave my liner inside out for about the first week, week and a half to stretch it out a bit. You are never suppose to do this but it helps. I also wash it in mild baby soap to loosen it a little. The shape comes back but it does get rid of the stiffness. I know that everyone says no to this but it provides me with relief.

Last resort I wear cut off bike shorts under the liner.

I sort of figure if you try this stuff out it elimates all other problems and if after this and it's the socket you'll know about it.

Good luck Mate

Mel.

I leave my liner inside out for about the first week, week and a half to stretch it out a bit. You are never suppose to do this but it helps

Fiona - if your prosthetist still has a plaster cast of your leg, it can be used to stretch your liner. I have an old cast of mine at home, that I use to stretch my new liners - I leave the new liner on the cast for about a week before I wear it. Also, you can ask your prosthetist to stretch your new liners before you wear them.

Mike and Mel,

You both describe the feeling perfectly. And the frustration does totally come from the fact that you know everything else is pretty much OK.

Mel and Lizzie

Thanks for the advice. The liner is actually not new - I have had it since september and also wore it with my old leg, and so I don't think it is the liner that is the problem, but the socket. This morning I cut some socks and pulled them up my leg to try to take the pressure off the sore points, and it does actually seem to have worked somewhat, but I am still fairly positive that I just need a new socket - I have had this one since the beginning of december and it just hasn't been quite right ever since I got it.

Anyway, on we soldier (or limp should I say.....)

You've probably increased your muscle mass, with all that cycling, Fiona! ;)

I'd make an appt PDQ, as sounds as though the problem won't resolve without a new socket.

Take care

Fiona--

I was having the same kind of problem for a while. Thanks to my prothestic guy, he was able to fix the problem. Please call your prothestic company and make appointment. They will be able to correct the problem so you don't have to bear that pain any longer.

Patti

Fiona,

I get the same thing as you are describing. Some days are better than others and on those I only get it in the evening when I've had the leg on for the day. Other days it starts almost right away.

One thing that has helped alot is putting Gold Bond Medicated Lotion on every night and in the morning. I have no explanation for this but was desparate to try everything. I'm going to see my prosthesist next week and plan on asking him about it also.

Carol

Hi Fiona,

I had a terrible problem with Iceross sleeves. My skin reacted with red patches a blisters along the edge. This happened every time I put a new liner on and lasted for up to a month. My brand of sleeve was changed to Ohio and although it is supposed to be the same material I have no reactionat all. May be changing manufacturer will help. Good Luck Pete

Thank you all again for the replies.

I am going to the prosthetist today and am going to demand that she does something - I have decided that three months is too long to be uncomfortable for in a leg and that it is definitely not a matter of me just getting used to it!!

Fiona x

I am going to the prosthetist today and am going to demand that she does something - I have decided that three months is too long to be uncomfortable for in a leg and that it is definitely not a matter of me just getting used to it!!

Fiona

A tip for next time, please don't leave it 3 months if you're that uncomfortable! :o As a general rule (as you are young & active), if it is a definitive limb and it's still that uncomfortable after 2 weeks, then take it back for adjustments!

Is it only the Iceross liner that seems to cause these problems?

Lizzie,

Thanks for the advice - I have been back, roughly every two weeks since I got this leg. They have sorted out the immediate problem every time, but because of my short stump, this has increased the pressure in otheer areas so that two weeks later I am back asking them to sort out the new place where it hurts! Joy!!

Anyway, I went back yesterday, and they are making me a new socket. I am really relieved. I am being cast on Friday and am going to be able to take the test socket home for 2 weeks to try it out/ get it adjusted if needs be so that the same problems don't happen with my next leg. I can just never tell whether a new leg is right or not when the only chance I have to try it a quick 5 minute walk up and down the bars. It is a big weight off my mind I must say.

Yipeeee!!

Hi Fiona..I am an AK but do wear and Iceross liner, it is a fairly new system but I got the burning and itchy patches so my prosthetist gave me some stockinette that I wear underneath the top 1/3rd which is where I was having the trouble and it solved it. I also use Aveeno cream in those areas first, before putting on the stockinette. This helped me but talking to your prosthetist is the best thing in case it is a fitting adjustment that is needed. Good Luck I hope this is solved soon for you!!!!

I am being cast on Friday and am going to be able to take the test socket home for 2 weeks to try it out/ get it adjusted if needs be so that the same problems don't happen with my next leg. I can just never tell whether a new leg is right or not when the only chance I have to try it a quick 5 minute walk up and down the bars. It is a big weight off my mind I must say.

This is the ONLY thing that makes sense to me. If you aren't a veteran amputee, like someone who knows all the ins and outs of sockets, and can exactly pin point the problem areas, the is NO WAY IN HELL that a new amputee can say whether a test socket is going to fit or not.

I wear my test sockets for at least 2 weeks and I am an 11 year amp. It's crazy to expect newer amputees to test drive a new socket for a short period of time.

And about these Iceross Liners - I was over the moon when my prosthetist said that I should try one. It is the most amazing feeling to don and doff a socket in a matter of seconds. But for the first time EVER, I have been getting blisters. I have found a second skin type plaster (like a see through filmy flimsy plastic thing) that works like magic shmagic (really), but it's still a worry. Be that as it may, I am not ready to chuck my liner at the moment.

Anyway, I am not actually sure anymore whether I am ally or sally because I am STILL working through this new MAS socket (eeeeek) and I am still wearing a test socket. About the 12th I think - I have lost count.

I am so tired of being uncomfortable - it's been so long that I have forgotten what it's like to be mobile and normal.

Eish,

Ally

Thank you thank you a million times for explaining why what is happening is happening Marcus - that makes complete sense to me. I knew that it had to be because the socket was too tight in those areas, but i just wouldn't have worked out that it was down to the skin trying to tear away in the way you described.

Ally, I am sorry to hear that your new socket is still not right. Having only ever had a completely comfortable leg for about a month at a time (due to shrinking etc) I also have now forgotten what it is like getting up from your seat and not wincing in pain every time you put weight on your leg. Oh dearey me.....

Good luck though, and I'm sure you will get it sorted.

Fiona x

Interesting to read everyone's comments about liners.

I use a Alpha liner with a 'pin' type of prosthesis. Since the stump seems to react with the liner after a period of time, I have to take the 'leg' off and rest for a while - due to stump discomfort. (leading to stump pain)

Generally I can wear the leg for roughly about 4 hours at a time. Are there any AK amputees out there who can wear their prosthesis all day long without any trouble?

Ian

hello ian,

i think i use the same "configuration".....i wear my leg sometimes more than 14 hours....normally no problem with the liner and skin "relationship".

ciao thomas

Hi Ian

I wear an AK Alpha liner (as opposed to the usual sort) and I wear my liner all day (12 to 14 hours). If I get skin problems from the liner (e.g. around the top of the liner) I use the Alps Prosthetic Skin Lotion.

Hi Thomas and Lizzie

Thanks for your interesting reply. Its good that you can wear it for 12-14 hours a day! Do you generally find that you have to restrict your movements in order to keep the 'leg' on for longer?

I wonder why I seem to eventually get internal stump (skin is OK) discomfort? I wonderd if it is something to do with the difficult and messy circumstances around my amputation? It is one of my aims to find a solution that enables me to stay on my 'feet' almost all day.

Ian