Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

ACA's 2006 16th Annual Educational Conference

Do you plan on attending this years conference?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on attending this years conference?

• Yes
    • No

Here is the updated list of people that I have going so far:

The Australian Connection

Catherine - Melbourne, Australia - 1st timer

Muchlygirl - Ruth - Melbourne, Australia - 1st timer

Melaussie - Mel - Melbourne, Australia - 1st timer

The Canadian Connection

eddie103 - Ed - Winnipeg, Canada - 1st timer

The US Connection

AmySkyDivr - Amy - SE MN - 1st timer

caroln - Carol - Fertile MN - 1st timer

Cheri - California - Returning

debbie - Debbie - Dallas Texas - Returning

krazy1200 - Karen - Orlando FL - Returning

Higgy - Tammie - Illinois - Returning

JudyH - Judy - 1st timer

JohnnyV - Poughkeepsie NY- 4th time

mmarie - Marcia - Biloxi, MS - Returning survivor of Huricane Katrina

NANN - Fort Worth, Texas - Returning

Neal - Tulsa, Oklahoma - Returning

rayb777 - Ray, Columbus Ohio - 3rd time

Will hopefully add and would prefer not to have to delete as we go forward. Judy from Utah had to cancel due to a scheduling conflict with her move to New York.

Please continue to let me know if I missed anybody?

Thank you.

JohnnyV-

I am coming in Wed to take the support group leader training and staying Sunday for the peer group training. I hope to make the most of this opportunity. I can't wait to meet everybody. But - I am also scared - will I be able to wear my leg? They didn't have any handicap rooms available so I have ordered a travel commode because I couldn't figure out how I would transfer to or from the toilet without any devices.

I can't understand why you think you won't be able to wear your leg. I have been to two previous conferences. I had a shower chair at the first conference, still a newbie then. I used a shower protector that I got from JimT at the second conference. I didn't even take crutches to that conference. Donn the leg in the AM and doff it at the end of the day.

I did some swimming at the conference in Dallas. Just parked my lounge chair close to water's edge, took leg off and jumped in.

I am still on test sockets - I have extremely sensitive skin and we are havig a difficult time getting a good fit. We have been trying all kinds of different liners.

JudyH

JudyH

Hi! I'm going to the peer training also. Really looking forward to it. If you're worried about the shower and bathroom stuff, why don't you call them and find out for sure what is available?

Carol

JudyH

Hi! I'm going to the peer training also. Really looking forward to it. If you're worried about the shower and bathroom stuff, why don't you call them and find out for sure what is available?

Carol

Carol -

If I can wear my leg showering will not be a problem even in a regular room (they didn't have any handicap rooms left). I have portable grab bars and JimT's leg cover. My biggest concern was what to do at night when my leg was off and I needed the bathroon. I found a travel commode. I just ordered it - weighs 16 lbs. and will solve that problem.

I guess I am nervous because I don't trust my leg yet and this will be my first trip alone since my husband died.

I am looking forward to meeting you.

Judy, hotel rooms are usually not that big. If you don't want to bring a potty you could put your leg on to go to the bathroom, you could scoot on your butt or crawl. I've done them all. I just don't hop! But by all means, do whatever you're the most comfortable with.

I'm going to take the peer visitor training too. Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Judy, hotel rooms are usually not that big. If you don't want to bring a potty you could put your leg on to go to the bathroom, you could scoot on your butt or crawl. I've done them all. I just don't hop! But by all means, do whatever you're the most comfortable with.

I'm going to take the peer visitor training too. Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Carol - this thing justs sits over the toilet. There is no way that I could transfer from the wheelchair to a toilet with nothing to hang on to. I am totally terrified of falling and because I can't feel my left foot either I must hold on to anything.

Judy,

Are you driving to the conference? I am presuming so. Are you going to bring crutches? I know that you said you have some problem with feeling in your remaining foot..

I'm sure that everything can be worked out.. Mostly, the staff at these hotels are very kind and accomodating. They are always willing to get what ever you need, if they canIt sounds to me like you have most of the basics covered. You have the shower protector from Jim and you have the travel grab bars. (You'll have to let me know how they work) Most of these bathrooms in the hotels aren't that big, so, usually you at least have the sink and counter to use for balance.

I'll be looking forward to meeting you there too...

Remember, sometimes, it's just the fear of the unknown that gets to us..

I'm sure that you will enjoy yourself.

Higgy

Judy,

Are you driving to the conference? I am presuming so. Are you going to bring crutches? I know that you said you have some problem with feeling in your remaining foot..

I'm sure that everything can be worked out.. Mostly, the staff at these hotels are very kind and accomodating. They are always willing to get what ever you need, if they canIt sounds to me like you have most of the basics covered. You have the shower protector from Jim and you have the travel grab bars. (You'll have to let me know how they work) Most of these bathrooms in the hotels aren't that big, so, usually you at least have the sink and counter to use for balance.

I'll be looking forward to meeting you there too...

Remember, sometimes, it's just the fear of the unknown that gets to us..

I'm sure that you will enjoy yourself.

Higgy

Higgy-

Drive from Detroit to Minneapolis-by myself? I don't think so! I use, depending on my leg, wheelchair, walker or quad cane. I can't wait for June. I am really anxious to work on starting the support group and I await the info package from ACA.

Hi

Could somebody tell me if it worth attending from the UK ....i have been to ISPO and BAPO in the UK .....so i supoose i am asking what the difference is and what would i gain from attending .....from an amputee point of view ???

Any views would be appreciated.

Steve

Judy,

As I said before, it sounds to me like you got it covered....

It looks like the conference luncheon is getting bigger and bigger......I think that we'll have a ball.

Tammie

Hi

Could somebody tell me if it worth attending from the UK ....i have been to ISPO and BAPO in the UK .....so i supoose i am asking what the difference is and what would i gain from attending .....from an amputee point of view ???

Any views would be appreciated.

Steve

Well, Steve.......

I guess that all depends of a persons point of view... The ACA is probably the biggest organization here in the United States for amputees.

The conference gives us a chance to get educated on being an amputee in various ways. There are sessions/seminars that help educate an amputee as far as an above knee, or below knee,etc.. There are other seminars as well as presentations by some of the manufactures. There is an all daygate training clinic that is put on by Robert Galley, which is fantastic. He teaches above and below knee amputees how to walk properly and effeciently with their prosthetics. I took it the first time that I ever went to one of the ACA conferences and I set in on them when I get the chance since. He also teaches those interested, in how to run on an artificial leg. Doesn't matter if you are an ak or bk. I have seen people who are in their upper 60's to 70's learning how to run... Most of all he really helps with learning how to walk properly and efficiently. To use less energy while walking which for some is very helpful.

They also have some of the leading prosthetic company's and manufacturers there... The two off the top of my head are Otto Bock and Ossur... You get a chance to have 'hands on' on some of the prosthetics and talk with the company reps as well..

Plus the comraderie of being in a convention hall with other amputees is nice. As with this board, we get to network with people and companies. It's nice... There is also a dinner/dance evening. A time to just enjoy yourself.

Now, as to the question of is it worth coming from the UK, well, I guess that is for you to decide. I haven't been there, and I'm not familiar with ISPO or BAPO so I couldn't possibly compare...

The website for the ACA is

http://www.amputee-coalition.org go check them out if you want. There is even a schedule of events for you to check out. It's pretty self explanitory. Let us know what you decided...

Tammie

I agree with Tammie. Check out the conference agenda on their website. There is also a list of companies who are renting space in the exhibit hall.

I've been to two conferences and hope I never have to miss one.

Steve I would imagine that ISPO is more scientific for the industry where as this is more for the amputee.

Check out the ACA website and you'll get a better idea

Mel.

I'm in.

Hi Marcia: When is the ACA this year, I'd love to come and especially meet you?

Lynne

Hi Everyone

I'm trying to go. Looking for someone in my area or on my way that would like to drive with me in my convertible corvette and share exspenses, anybody know anyone?

Connecticut USA

Thanks

Pete

Hi:

I'm interested? I live in Canada but can fly anywhere to meet you??

Lynne

aka

Hi All,

I just wanted to give a bit of info that Brenda had posted on another site.

Next years ACA conference is going to be held in Atlanta, Georgia..same time as this year, June 15-17th.

If you have any other questions you can check it on the web site...When I had checked it over the weekend they hadn't posted anything yet, but have updated it since..

I know that it had been mentioned previously on this site so I thought that I'd let you all know for sure that it is going east again.. Although, I am totally surprised that it didn't go further west..

Guess it's never too soon to start making plans again.

Higgy

The info has been on their website all week:

http://www.amputee-coalition.org/annual_meeting_future.html

rayb

Hi All,

I just wanted to give a bit of info that Brenda had posted on another site.

Next years ACA conference is going to be held in Atlanta, Georgia..same time as this year, June 15-17th.

If you have any other questions you can check it on the web site...When I had checked it over the weekend they hadn't posted anything yet, but have updated it since..

I know that it had been mentioned previously on this site so I thought that I'd let you all know for sure that it is going east again.. Although, I am totally surprised that it didn't go further west..

Guess it's never too soon to start making plans again.

Higgy

who is going to Minneapolis?JudyH

Judy,

If you go back to the first page of this topic, there is a list of people that are planning to attend this year...

It's under a post by JohnnyV.

Actually, there's a couple of them. The first one and then an updated one after that....It'll give ya a good idea...

Hope to see you there...

Tammie

I'm in.

Hi Marcia: When is the ACA this year, I'd love to come and especially meet you?

Lynne

Hey Lynne - ACA Conf is June 15, 16, 17 in Minneapolis. It was great last year and I'm looking forward to this one. Ed said it was close enough from him to drive.

It's getting close! A few more weeks to go! Time to start making plans ! ! !

Wooooooooooohoooooooooooo

Oh, you lucky people! Bring back lots of pictures and stories!