Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
terrih69

And now my journeys began.......

hi all

just to catch up and update everyone.... I'm back and all went well!

I have recently joined the forum, just a few weeks prior to my operation and was totally inspired by everyones support with the build up to D Day.

I had my amputation thursday 9th feb, BKA, everything went great and i surprised myself as to just how well i felt and still feel.

I started physio the day after, and was given my wheels, so there was no stopping me! ;)

In to the gym monday and prepared as much as i could be for coming home today.

For the first time in nearly 18 years i have woken up in very little pain or discomfort! its been great.

up to today i have had no phantom pain, but many sensations that the foot is still there and itchy! very strange sensation to explain to anyone. So fingers crossed it lasts and if it doesnt, i will enjoy it until it changes!

sorry this is only brief, still on alot of medication and getting very tired, its been a long day with the session of physio this morning and then the journey home. I will keep everyone informed, but thanks again for all the words of support and advice.

all the very best to all

speak soon

Terri

Hi Terri,

Wow so pleased things have progressed so well for you, and what an amazing attitude you have. You know that's the one thing above all else that will help you in the weeks and months to come.

I hope things continue to go so well for you, keep us updated with your progress.

Take care

Hi Terri glad to hear you are ok. Thanks for letting us know and do please keep us informed.

Cat

Hi there, this is very good news. Thanks for letting us know.

Come back soon and tell us some more....

Ally

:)

Hi Terri..I am new here..RAK..just wanted to add my congrats on everything going so well for you. I do understand the feeling of waking up with so much less pain, it will make the adjustment so much easier for you ..it did me.

Wow!! Now those are the kind of sucess stories that I like to hear. Congratulations. With your attitude, you will carry yourself a long way.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Terri;

I'm delighted to hear that you feel so good after your surgery, and that you are now free from your long-term pain - I hope for both the same myself!

I hope your recovery and rehab go really well - please keep us up to date!

Very best wishes

Roz. :)

Wow, Terri, that was quick! :blink: I can see that there'll be no stopping you!! :D

I'm so pleased everything went well! :)

Lizzie :)

Hi Terri--

I'm so happy for you!!! Please stay in touch and keep us updated on how you are doing.

Patti

Hi Terri.

Welcome to the forum, and am so glad your feeling so positive about things. If you need to talk let me know.

Lesley

HI TERRI;

GREAT JOB AND KEEP UP THAT AWESOME ATTITUDE, NICE TO HEAR ABOUT LITTLE OR NO PAIN. KEEP THOSE WHEELS A TURNIN.

KEEP SMILIN :D

PETE

Good to hear things are going well.

hi all

well now on day 9 and things are still pretty positive! Had my first uncomfortable night last night, cramp sensations in the phantom foot.... hmmm strange! probably not to you guys, but real wierd to me! the only thing i found to help was gentle heat on my stump and tapping gently on the side, mad i know, either it worked or i was so tired that i fell asleep?

I have had several short trips out, shopping and to friends houses. Shopping was a big eye opener, some pretty ignorant reactions to the wheelchair, let alone to the missing foot. Maybe i handle it wrong i dont know, should i cover it? i am not embarrassed, but maybe its not peoples ignorance, but fear of the unknown?

Still having a mixture of reactions and 'ideas' on how people see things going for me, the most annoying thing being that because i havent got fed up yet or down, that i should be careful because it will come!! that really annoys me, why cant people just be positive? if they are that good at predicting things, the lotto numbers would be nice! :P

Trying to explain to people that the new leg doesnt come the day after the old one has been removed! where do some people get their ideas from?? entertaining if nothing else!

anyway, will close now, take care all and a big thank you for all the support!!

speak soon

Terri x

Hi Terri, glad to hear your getting out and about. People are pretty funny huh! I remember the first time I went to a shopping centre in my chair and the sales girl was talking to me like I was deaf. Just a leg not my hearing. Most also prefered to speak to the people I was with rather than me. Found that rather amusing as well.

You just gotta laugh at the ignorance :unsure:

Hope the phantoms don't keep you awake all night-rotten things; the pins & needles drive me mad-that unstopable tingling.

You're going a great job :) :)

Mel.

I have had several short trips out, shopping and to friends houses. Shopping was a big eye opener, some pretty ignorant reactions to the wheelchair, let alone to the missing foot.

That was the one thing that got me so annoyed, being in the chair and dealing with morons who looked at you but never saw you. I remember in one store midway down an isle, one woman actually stood right in front of me waiting for me to go around her. She waited a long time :lol:

I thought seriously about fitting a 12 volt battery and a giant klaxon horn to the chair just so i could creep up behind the stupids and scare the living daylights out of them, well it's the only fun you get some days :lol:

But so pleased you are doing well Terri, stay positive, you are going to be just fine.

Hi Terri

You sound in really good spirits - Good for you! :D

If you're the only amp in your circle of family & friends, people will be ignorant of what happens after your op. There aren't many of us around & so they'll have to learn from you - they will take their lead from you. Family & friends are probably just worried about you...some of them will adjust more quickly than others.

Having said that the attitude of people who aren't friends or family, can be infuriating! :unsure:

Shopping was a big eye opener, some pretty ignorant reactions to the wheelchair, let alone to the missing foot. Maybe i handle it wrong i dont know, should i cover it? i am not embarrassed, but maybe its not peoples ignorance, but fear of the unknown?

If you want to cover your leg, then cover it...but if you don't want to cover your leg, then don't cover it. When I go out in my wheelchair without my legs on (e.g. when I go to the pool twice a week) I just wear my normal clothes - I don't cover them. Yes, people stare...but I think 'let them'.

If people stare, then I find giving someone a big beaming smile works very well (they either smile back or they get embarrassed) and/or talking to the person you're with helps, as some people think that if you're without a limb you're also without a brain and you carrying on a conversation with someone else seems to somehow makes you less interesting...and they usually stop staring.

Lizzie :)

hi

now its confession time...... i did something really naughty on saturday just gone :unsure: i went for something to eat with my husband and parents and could see this woman on another table staring, infact i would go as far as she was looking at me with total disgust, i have to confess to having a wicked sense of humour and couldnt help myself.... everytime i was talking to my parents i was concious that out of the corner of my eye i could see this woman and she wasnt giving up..... so i lifted my stump and waved at her with it! she went scarlet and funnily enough stopped staring!

maybe not the correct way to deal with it, but it worked!

as for wanting to cover it up, no i am not embarrassed, but being new to all this wondered if my approach to others was wrong? but now reading peoples replies I feel alot better and will lead from your examples and ok try to curb my less than tackful approach maybe!?

thank you again for all your support, i sometimes feel alone, not through lack of help or support from my family, but the fact that as much as they try to understand how and why i feel the way i do at times, they cant. its nice to be able to communicate through here with others that can.

thanks again, speak soon

Terri x :rolleyes:

Sounded like a sound approach to me Terri, after all if she hadn't been staring at your stump she wouldn't have noticed you waving it. If it was upsetting her so much I'm sure there were plenty of other restaurants that she could have gone to (perhaps a nice little basement bistro with no disabled access ;))

The most fun place I went to was a disability shop where the disabled access was at the rear of the shop (like a tradesmans entrance). I had to negotiate the wheelchair down a narrow passage that was littered with discarded packaging. I then spent a further ten minutes waiting while the shopkeeper discussed my requirements with my wife and completely ignored me :rolleyes:

Hi Terri,

Pleased things are going well for you, which they will with your positive approach

and attitude.

I like your style with the starring women, I have done something similar myself and got great pleasure from doing it. Having said that I haven't done it again, I just now ignore the stares or just smile. It must be worst for a women though???

I would imagine that people would be more inclined to accept a "bloke" with only one leg but find it difficult with a woman --Just a thought. You could always cover up if you want to stop the stares --- nothing wrong in that. Equally if you don't want to cover up, then be a devil -- don't.

Best of luck

By the way -- with the phantom pains, try massaging your good foot -- I have found that it works for me. Daft i know but it works

John

Hi Terri, so pleased to hear everything went well and with that good positive attitude I'm sure it'll continue on. I know, people sure can be strange, ignorant etc, we've all been down that road and it can really get on your nerves, especially being a new amputee. I still don't like it, but with time I've pretty much learned to turn the other way, b/c most are really not worth my energy, that I need to stay positive and keep myself going. :rolleyes: Perhaps some stare out of nervousness, lack of knowledge and don't know how to react when seeing an amputee..... dunno?? :blink: But keep your chin up, give'em one of those smiles, letting them know your very confident with who you are and that sometimes we have to ignore other's ignorance. You're doing just GREAT!! keep up the good work!! :)

We all have our different ways of dealing with being an amputee and I'm sure with time, you too will know exactly the best way, for you, to deal with different situations. You know, I've never been one to think and or act a certain way, just b/c some people suggest that's how I'm suppose to be. :unsure: I say, "Be YOURSELF, take PRIDE in who you are, keep LOVE in your heart, then NOBODY can ever pull you apart"!! :D ;)

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

post-12-1140397735.gif

Hi Terri:

You sound absolutely terrific. Keep up your wonderful attitude, it's very refreshing.

I'm a lak and have pulled a lot of "stunts", so I really relate.

Can't wait to hear your next adventure.

Luv,

Lynne