Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
terrih69

And now my journeys began.......

This must be a Brit thing

Who is Nora Batty?

Jim,

Nora Batty was a character in a wonderful television comedy series about a bunch of old guys who refused to be old.

It was a very gentle comedy, full of charm, Camaraderie and the most implausible story lines.

Norah's stockings became a legend, there to be admired by every red blooded male in the United Kingdom.

Although some would try and deny it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps .. Oh and dont spend too long looking at Lizzie's link to those stockings, you will become addicted :)

hi all

well i am now officially stitchless! theres a small area they are keeping an eye on, but do not seem overly concerned, so i am pleased with that.

Have had to remind myself a few times that i have to take it easy because its only 3 weeks since the operation, my mind says that i am back to normal and my body is saying no, its tired! so we have to come to a compromise!

Still having a few issues with phantom limb pain, but nothing i cant handle, the TEns machine helps, but my husband has advised me that i stop annoucing at the top of my voice that i am vibrating, especially when we are out! :P anyone that uses a TENS machine can understand when the pulses change, it can take you by surprise! i am adamant that i want to see these phantom pains out and not go onto anymore drugs, call it stubborn but i am fed up with taking tablets. They are more annoying rather than life stopping at the moment.

anyway, thanks again for all the support before, during and since surgery, it means alot!

bestwishes to you all

Terri B)

...anyone that uses a TENS machine can understand when the pulses change, it can take you by surprise!

They can really make you jump, can't they?! :blink: I've found changing the battery and forgetting to switch the machine off, can give you a nasty shock too! :angry:

I wear a TENS machine all the time & the other day, I bought some new electrodes...they were so comfortable, that I forgot to take them off, before I got into the bath...(I might add that I had disconnected the TENS machine beforehand)...and I discovered that the gel on the electrodes was actually water-soluble, so I ended up with a squidgy mess!! :wacko:

Lizzie :)

PS Glad you're doing so well, Terri! :D

Hi Terri

I am new to this forum so apologise for posting so late but I just wanted to add my comments. Here goes:-

Shopping was a big eye opener, some pretty ignorant reactions to the wheelchair, let alone to the missing foot. Maybe i handle it wrong i dont know, should i cover it? i am not embarrassed, but maybe its not peoples ignorance, but fear of the unknown?

I agree here. Although i'm awaiting my RAKA I have had over 43 ops in the last 4 yrs and some pretty strange contraptions. I too was not embarrassed about it and came to the decision that why should I hide it away it was a part of me and as long as those close to me accepted it I really don't care what other people think. The thing thats winds me up the most is the people who think they're being clever taking sneaky looks then nudging their friends, partners etc when you have gone past and pointing at you or the people that just stare and literally follow my leg as I walk past. Me and my family have made a game of it now and when we pull up anywhere we try and guess how many stares we will get to see who guesses nearest. I too do wicked things to extreme starers but I just find this is my way of dealing with it :P .

Although, as I have obviously not had my amputation yet do not suffer with Phantom Pains, where I have had extensive gratfs on my leg my nerves have been mucked up I do find I have to itch somwwhere else on my leg i.e maybe near my knee to satisfy an itch on my ankle. This is a really strange feeling and one that even 4 yrs on still amuses my daughter.

I have been on Gabapentin for the last 4 yrs as it deals with nerves and the thing that's worrying me is the fact i've been on it soooooooooo long now will it help me once I have my amputation or is my body just to used to it now.

I am beginning to think that (i say this loosely) 'able bodied people' should spend 24 hours in a wheelchair, just so they can appreciate what we have to go through, maybe then they would be less ignorant!

I agree with this comment. I also find shop assistants tend to talk to people that are pushing you rather than you. It's as if they think because your in a wheelchair you've lost the power of hearing and speech.

I can't offer you anymore advice i'm afraid so best of luck

hi vicki (hi all)

thank you for taking the time to add your comments!

my husband took me food shopping tonight, with my youngest daughter, and was met with the usual stares, but the one that amused me most was a middle aged man that was 'rubber necking' that much whilst he was walking past me, that he forgot to look where he was going and walked into a stand full of cooking sauces!! i havent laughed that much in ages!! He went maroon in colour and scurried away quickly! (didnt realise that food shopping could be so entertaining!!)

Dare i say it, but my phantom pains have been pretty much under control the last few days, the TENS machine seems to be working a treat :D

thank you again for taking the time to add your comments, take care and bestwishes to you all

Terri :wub:

hi vicki

Forgot to add, good luck with your future amputation, really hope it goes well for you, please keep us all informed. It really helped me through my operation (4 weeks ago) to have all the guys on here to talk to :wub:

take care

Terri :D

hi all

its been a while since i added a message, so thought it was about time i gave you guys an update.

Its been just over 7 weeks since i had my below knee amputation, and apart from these persistent phantoms, everything is going better than good!! :D

i have been having physio for the last three weeks, practising with the PAM aide, that really trendy looking metal frame! i have to admit that when i first see it, my first impression was 'this is going to hurt!' and was pleasantly surprised when it didnt. Its just afterwards that i realise just how tired i get.

Yesterday i went back to the hospital to see my consultant for the first time since discharge, and to say he was pleased with my progress would be an understatement. It was like being alittle kid again, all the 'hasnt she done well comments!' it was nice, but many more and my head would have been too big to get out the door again! ;)

Something really positive came out of yesterday, i had my stump measured for my first fitting and got told i could have my leg next week! very excited! (only 7 more sleeps to go!) I am having a LP vari flex foot (probably means more to you guys than it does me! but it sounds good!)

any way, hope everyone is well and enjoying life

catch up with everyone soon, thanks again for all your support over the last few months, it has really helped me through :blink:

take care

Terri

Hey Terri,

So glad to hear everything is going so well! I am so happy for you. You sound so positive ;)

And, WOW, your first foot will be a LP Vari-Flex?? :blink:

What an amazing start! My first feet were nowhere near as good as those <_<

All I'll say is to just enjoy the highs you will feel over the next few months. Sure, there may be lows too, but the highs, like taking your first steps, will more than make up for them.

Keep up the good work and enjoy the ride! B)

Hi Terri,

I am so pleased to hear you are doing well.

I lost my leg Nov 05 due to cancer, right above knee.

I am on Gabapentin (a high dose) and i find it REALLY keeps the phantom pain at bay. I was told that i would be on them for 6 months only. Also that because i had bad pain before hand (my cancer was also hitting a nerve) that i will have bad phantom pain after the amputation.

Saying that i am also quite curious about the tens machine. i have one as i used it when i had a bad neck but i have never used it for my stump. Where abouts do you put the electrode pads?

Only 6 more sleeps to go, but that seems such a long way away. I have been waiting all week for my second socket, i go tomorrow, but what a long time it seems. I always feel that when i wake up in the morning, 'what is happening is it christmas - oh, no!'

LP vari flex foot - i am sorry but i do not know anything about it. I have a college park tru step foot, it seems to work for me.

All the best for you new leg

Love Yvonne

xx

:blink:

Wow, Terri!

It sounds like things are definitely headed in the right direction for you. It does everyone good to hear your success. Keep up the good work and please keep us posted! :D :D

Sunshine- I'm glad to hear you are doing well also. I have really struggled with the phantoms in the past and still have a "round" from time to time. I was on Gabapentin (or Neurontin) but decided it did nothing for ME. I also tried the TENS unit. It didn't work for me, but I've heard several others say it has for them. When I tried it, I was just told to experiment placing the electrodes in different places. Anyway, good luck!

:D :D :D

Hi,

One thing my husband reminded me was that the consultants told me was if i did not opt to take the medication straight after the operation, that the medication would not get rid of the phantom pain and then i would have it for life.

Has anyone else been told this? Also for people that have been on medication for phantom pain, how long have you been on it for?

I am learning that what works for some people does not work for others.

What did you find helped you Shane, or did you just struggle through?

Thanks.

Yvonne

xxx :wub:

hi sunshine

i saw my consultant on monday this week, and the usual subject of phantom pain came up. His attitude when i questioned him about it was that i had several options, i could start to take medication (i am 7 weeks post op) but it could take several weeks to take effect before i would take any benefit from it or i could find my own ways round it (non drug approach). It also seemed to be the general opinion of the other medical staff there, that when i got my leg, the phantoms should calm down. no one seems to know why people get them or how long you are going to get them for. i have never heard of anyone saying that if you dont take medication from the off, that it wont work later (this doesnt mean its not true)

like you said, i think everyone is different and some treatments work for some and not others.

sorry, this doesnt seem to answer your question does it? :wub:

in answer to your previous question about the tens machine, i got mine from www.tenscare.co.uk, if you go onto there, it does suggest some places on your limb to try, but i think (again) it would be a case of moving the pads around until you find some where that works for you. i am a below knee amputee and i find that placing two of the pads just below the knee, and two at the top of the leg (thigh) seems to work for me.

good luck and sorry i cant be of any real help

take care

Terri :D

sorry sunshine

that last reply really wasnt any good to you was it.... i have just re read what i put and realised that you are actually above knee, so totally different to me! (strain of the kids being on holiday!) if you go onto that web page that i suggested, they have some body maps that give you a general idea, but like i said before i think its just a case of finding out which positions help you.

a friend of mine is above knee and she uses her tens machine, two on her back and the other two positioned on the stump.

sorry again that i cant be of any real help to you

take care

Terri ;)

Just to put my story in here.

I have never taken anything narcotic in the 18 years for anything having to do with my amputation - outside of the hospital.

That includes painkillers when I first came home, or "discomfort" times now. (Yes it was hell for awhile and I don't reccomend it.) As a result, my doctors tell me that the nerve endings healed naturally. I rarely have any phantom pains, (except for a remote "spike" now and then.)

I would guess that in the 18 years, I have had about 3 instances of an "electrical storm" in my stump (Helacious phantom pains), that seemed to go on for 2-3 hours, one right after another, seconds (or minutes) apart. All of these were during periods of time when I had a fever. My wife gave me extra strength tylonol and they eventually quieted down.

Like they say, we are all different, but as the saying goes, "Viva la Differance".

...I have never taken anything narcotic in the 18 years for anything having to do with my amputation - outside of the hospital.

That includes painkillers when I first came home, or "discomfort" times now. (Yes it was hell for awhile and I don't reccomend it.) As a result, my doctors tell me that the nerve endings healed naturally....

I had exactly the same experience as you post op, Jim. I don't think they thought phantom pains actually existed back then...at least that's what it felt like! :wub: I also had the same experience afterwards (with PLP's) until I developed arthritis and then the hell came back...with a vengence! :o It's under control, now...thank goodness! :)

Terri - sometimes people are given heafty medication post op, to 'break the pain cycle'...sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

Hi,

I am so glad you are doing ok and it is great to have alot less pain! I know how that feels.

Good luck!

Hi everyone!!

good news, got my leg tuesday! now seeing the world from the upright position again and although its only been 8 weeks, it seems really strange looking down and seeing two feet! My friends already have a nickname for me 'Terri Two shoes!' most of my friends have not known me long enough to remember me being able to wear two shoes before. (its been so long)

I have had my orders off my physio on what i can and cant do, but its all too tempting to do more (but i know its not worth it, i am doing as i am told)

will keep you all updated, thank you again for all your support

best wishes to all for easter!

Terri x :P

That's great news, Terri! :D

PS It's amazing how strange it feels to get up on two feet, after such a relatively short period of time, isn't it?

Terri, many happy congratulations! It's a big moment isn't it?!

:D :D :D

hi all

i cant believe it has been nearly 4 months since i had my amputation! where does the time go?? its been almost 2 months with my new leg too...

sorry it has been so long since i updated everyone, i have suddenly found a new lease of life! For the first time in 13 years i have been ten pin bowling, trampolining and skipping (with a rope) with my kids! its an amazing feeling to be able to do the fun, playtime things with them, that i have never been able to do :D

I have been to a live concert in bristol to see 'beautiful south' and i have been shoe shopping, i officially own a pair of matching shoes! (ok several pairs of matching shoes!) its been a while since i have been able to wear matching ones, the ones i did have didnt match because prior to amputation i could only wear the right shoe and the left one was still brand new! ok, truth.... i was like a child in a sweety shop, armed with a shoe horn, bought 5 pairs of matching shoes! :o (its an exciting time buying shoes, its all new to me!)

I have to say though, its been a real experience, just dealing with the mixture of reactions from different people to the fact that i am an amputee, the adults being worse. Ranging from people telling me they feel sorry for me (why?? i am better now than i have ever been, my life is already fuller!) to people asking me to cover it up! I love the young kids attitudes, if they want to know something, then they ask! ;) oh and i had one person tell me that after three months, my life should be back to normal! as i said to her define normal! my life wasnt normal before, so what hope of i got of normal now? (some people!)

I have just started training as a dog behaviourist, something i have wanted to do for years and now i have the time to do it and the opportunity to train before i am fit enough to return to work, thought i would go for it! just abit out of date with studying, think my brain has shrunk! <_<

any way, thanks to everyone for the advice and support through all this, couldnt have done it without you :P

keep smiling

Terri ;)

Terri, I have been on Gapapentin ( neurontin ) since my amputation (rbk july 05) and have good results from this drug. I can take up to 900mgs. a day, but mostly only need 600mgs to keep the "pins and needles" to a mininum. My Dr. had me take a blood test after 6 months of takeing this because it can cause harm to the liver in some people. My resuts were good so I can continue takeing it. I also used the TENS machine, mostly to loosen up the scar tissue that was very tight. I think it helped alot in that area, not to sure about helping with the pins and needles part. What I used for the pins and needles feeling was a back massager with infra-red heat, Start way up the leg and slooowly go down to the stump over a couple of days. Down even try to massage the stump with it the first few days or you will hit the ceiling. Also try taping on the stump with your fingers, after a while you can slap it with your hand and it wont hurt a bit ( I promise). Hope I helped you-----Dave----