Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Marilyn

Hullo, Newbie from Cincinnati

Hello, my name is Marilyn, I'm 50 and live in southwestern Ohio (40 miles east of Cincinnati).

I recently (August 05) became a RBKA and have had quite a time of it all! Due to many surgeries, dwindling health (BAD Bone infection), and lack of knowledge I just received my prothesis this past Wednesday. What an education I'm undergoing!

I'm so glad to have found this forum (and a couple of others)! It is amazing to talk to people who know exactly what you are going through. So many questions, and I know not a single other amputee outside the forums.

Happy to be here and hope to learn tons from you all!

Welcome Marilyn.

You will find lots of people right here who can help, who will help, who want to help, so don't be afraid to ask.

How do I know this ... Because I've just been through it all myself and the people here were wonderful.

So pleased you found us :D

RBKA - 8/05 Cancer (Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans/giant cell fibroblastoma -- say that 3 times fast!

Cannot say it once :lol:

Hi Marilyn-

Welcome. :D I'm new hear also, though I've watched this board for awhile. This is a GREAT group of people!! You will find this place always warm and welcoming.

Shane

lak

Jonesboro, Arkansas

Thanks for the warm welcome ya'll! :D

Lizzie, yep we've spoken in another arena! Thanks for all your help already.

Blue, yeah, I can't say it once either. Some bad luck. Looks like each of us here have had our share, but hey, nothing to do but move forward!

Shane, glad I'm not the only new one here!

G'day Marilyn welcome to the forum.

Cat

From Oz :D

Hi Marilyn:

Glad to have ya aboard. Looking forward to talkin in the future.

Can't say that once either HA

Pete :D

Marilyn, welcome to our group. I'm also a LBK since January 2001....and from southeastern Ohio :blink::rolleyes: We are about 3 hours from cincinnati.

(eag) :P

Ann, cool! Nice to have a "neighbor"!! :D

You guys sure make a person welcome! This is an awesome forum. I sure wish I'd found you months ago!! Ah well, better late than never, huh?

And welcome from another Buckeye. I'm Ray from Columbus, although I grew up in Cincinnati. I'm a lbk from a blood clot.

I've met several other amps from the cincy area, and I know there are some good support groups. I can connect you if you're interested.

rayb

Hey Rayb! :D

I'm not ready for a support group yet (until I can drive myself!) I'm hooked up with the BVR to get a left foot accelerator. But I'll remember your offer and get with you when I'm ready!

Glad to meet yet another buckeye!

Hi Marilyn

Just out of couriosity - why are you getting a left foot adapter to drive?

I am also an RBKA, and have been driving with my prosthetic leg for going on 18 years now. Because I'm lazy, I mostly use my left foot to brake, (unless I'm in a stick shift), but I always use my right foot on the accelorator. (I can and do occasionally use my right prosthesis to brake also.)

You just use your knee as the fulcrum instead of an ankle. The heel of the prosthesis is on the accelorator. When I'm in cruize mode on the highway, I just take my foot back and rest it on the floorboard in front of the accelorator until I need it again.

In the early years, when I had a lot of sores on my stump, I would take my leg off and rest my stump on the console, while I drove with my left foot. Absolutely no problem.

I can drive anything with this prosthesis without any adapters or safety issues at all. I have driven all over the United States, 22,000 miles of it pulling our camping trailer, with both, my leg on and off, through cities, freeways and country, day and night, rain and snow.

Give it some thought. If you don't ever try it, you will never know what you can do. I was out driving the first week home from the hospital, even though I didn't get a leg for 2-3 months later. (I was also climbing a ladder to the roof, and out riding on our motor scooters like that, but that's another story.

Some one else here suggested going to an empty parking lot with a friend and giving it a try with no one around. I bet that you will be surprised what you can do.

Just out of couriosity - why are you getting a left foot adapter to drive?

Hey Jim!

I may take your advice and try it! One reason I haven't driven at all (in nearly 11 stinking months) is because my own car is a stick. I have an automatic transmission, but need to get the transmission (!) fixed. It's a fairly nice Chevy Lumina. I guess I THOUGHT I needed a left foot accelerator, because my leg guy suggested it. When I get the car fixed (soon, within the next month), I'll have hubby take me to the local high school parking lot and give it a try!

I'm learning... I'm learning! :rolleyes:

This is how we all learned. Either by asking questions, or by just trying it. I was 52 when all of this happened to me, and it was like starting all over from scratch in some areas. I had no idea of life without a foot.

I honestly had never even seen a prosthesis before, or talked to an amputee. I managed an industry for the handicapped in the '70's, but none were amputees.

This was a whole new world for me. I had absolutely no therepy at all. I was sent home to learn on my own, so learn I did. I didn't know how to run a computer, and there were no support groups that I was aware of. It was all trial and error.

When people asked me if I could do something, I just told them that I hadn't tried it yet, but probably could, and then I set out to find a way to do it. If the old ways didn't work, then I developed a new way.

I climbed up on our roof, with my stump still in a cast, one foot and one knee at a time, just to see what needed fixing. When I got on the roof, I scooted along on my rump where I needed to go, and then back down on the ladder, again, one foot and one knee each step.

WE can do anything if we set our mind to it. I believe that.

I just don't think AMPUTEE. I've just got one leg shorter than the other, and have to compensate for it on occasion.

Always feel free to write if you ever have any questions you need to discuss. My email line is always open.

Jim, I suspect you are a treasure!

Thanks for the support! I'm sure I'll reach out for assistance in the days and weeks to come. I'm very glad to have met such a great group of inspiring people!

:)

Stay out of this Mike. :D :D

It sounds like the lady is very astute. Who am I to question such wisdom? :blink::blink:

Stay out of this Mike. :D :D

It sounds like the lady is very astute. Who am I to question such wisdom? :blink::blink:

:D :D Humpf! I guess I am astute -- I hunted you all down and found you!

Jim, my husband took my car into the shop today -- yikes! The entire transmission has to be rebuilt. Hubby and I debated whether to fix it or get rid of it. I think for now, we'll fix it up for me. I can always get a better car when I get back to work...

Hi Marilyn

Welcome here to this forum, A ton of great people who understand you, and are from all over the world!!!

I hope you can get some answers and maybe soon answer some questions for a newbie.

Have fun.

Lesley

Marilyn - I use a left foot adapter and am very happy with it. For me, it seemed the safest way to go.

Marilyn - I use a left foot adapter and am very happy with it. For me, it seemed the safest way to go.

Marcia, I'm not sure how I'll do... I may decide to just try out the car as is first. If that doesn't work for me, I'll try the left foot adapter. Do you EVER get confused with the left foot adapter? I have nightmares of me hitting the gas instead of the brake and going through a store front!!

Yikes! :rolleyes: