Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
debbie

Renegade foot and Iceross Liner

Thanks everyone for all the GREAT feedback on feet! I just got my new leg. I decided to go with the Renegade by Freedom Innovation. WOW! I love it. I cannot believe how great it feels. I sprinted all over after I got it. I also switched from a suspension sleeve to the seal in liner Iceross. I have not had any rash problems or burning like some have reported. However, I am wearing a liner-liner with X-static which is silver fibers and it is suppose to help with bacteria, odor and irritation. Apparently it works! This seal in system seems to be very comfortable and I love how it frees up the knee. Thank you for all the input and great info you share in posts. I could not be happier! 7 years later and I am finally running again, how exciting!- Debbie

Hello Debbie!

Sounds like you have a good one!

I'm brand new here (and new amputee just getting a leg). Can you tell me what the Renegade by Freedom Innovation is? And what is a seal in liner? My first leg (just got it, going to go to PT for the first time on Monday with the leg) is a "pin system" (I think it'd be called that.)

I know my first leg won't last all that long due to shrinkage, and I'm curious about other types of legs.

Oops, just realized the Renegade is the foot.

I'll look for the icecross seal in liner -- that was what I was wondering about -- how it works.

Debbie,

That is excellent news! :D

It is very encouraging to read that you are now running again. Sounds like a really happy ending! :D

--------

Marilyn,

Get ready to develop your knowledge in prosthetics here. (I know I did when I first joined!) ;)

The topic of different prosthetic feet has come up many times before. Therefore, you may find the Search feature here useful when looking for them.

Also, take a look at the Amputee Related Links category (further down the Main Index of the forum). There are many useful links for amputees there, including the websites of some of the main contenders in the prosthetic industry worldwide.

These sites are a wealth of information in themselves. For instance, on the Ossur website (makers of the Seal In Liner), there is a feature where you give your amputation and activity level and it comes up with all the components that would most likely suit you. It's very useful.

These sites will also give you an opportunity to take a look at the products available in much closer detail (and in the case of the Renegade - on the Freedom site - you get to see it in action!)

P.S. Welcome to the forum. :blink:

Afet, thanks so much for the info. I'll check out the links that you've directed me to.

Yes, there is NOTHING like talking to fellow amputees to really learn. My CPO is a great guy, but can't compare to the sheer knowledge of all you combined amps.

I did go to Ossur's website and checked out the seal in liners. Wonder why my leg guy chose a pin system? *sigh* this is fine... I'll be armed in the future and request exactly what I want (within reason, of course).

Wonder if anyone here has tried the Harmony System? I kinda was interested in that, but backed out on this because of the possibility of mechanical malfunction.

At any rate, thanks for the welcome and the info! :P

Thanks Marcus. I'm pretty much relying on my leg guy to guide me right now -- being new and all. But want to be well-informed for future ventures. He was willing to put me into the harmony system (he's trained in it and all that), but told me some of the possible problems -- holes in liner, possible mechanical stuff, etc. So, I'm holding off for now. The thing that attracts me to the harmony system is the fact that it is supposed to feel more like a part of you... propitiation? Is that the right word?

Thanks!

Thanks Marcus, me suspects you are in the business! :D I do trust my leg guy, he is steering me in the right direction -- especially conservative with my new leg and with me being a new amputee. I can fool with "fancy" stuff later; or I may decide to stick with tried and true.

I didn't want to take over this thread... Sorry. I'm just one of those excited "newbies".

Marilyn,

Welcome! You are right about the trusting your CP in the beginning. I knew nothing about legs. He wanted me in a standard suspension sleeve until I got used to it and at the ACA convention in Dallas last year, I started talking to lots of amputees about what they liked. I am still learning, that is why I do not even know if this seal in liner is fitting the way it is suppose to fit. I am hearing from a few friends today that they think my socket it not made right for the liner. It feels very comfortable but and it does not slip off but I do feel like it is not tight enough (and I am wearing extra socks already). So my point is, I am still learning. I research every thing to death but it is still trial and error. The great people on this site directed me to the Renegade foot, and my CP tried to talk me out of it. But I trusted the actual people wearing them (not my CP)... and I love it. So you will just have to learn a lot and ask questions as you progress. But I am 16 months and 3 legs out and I am still clueless!! So we can learn together!!

Debbie

Hullo Debbie! :D

Glad to hear from you and that you've forgiven me for monopolizing your discussion!

Do I understand right, you are RUNNING?? Wow! I'm impressed! My major hobby was extreme yard work and flowers... I'm just hoping that I can resume these activities.

Best of luck and thanks for the encouragement!

Thanks Marcus, me suspects you are in the business!  :D

You might say that ;)

I'm a CP and also work as a research prosthetist with Freedom Innovations.

Wow! A resident "leg guy" and more! We're fortunate!

Wow! A resident "leg guy" and more! We're fortunate!

Some might say that ...

... and then they learn what he's really like ;) :P :lol:

I was striving for the seal-in liner, but have finally scrapped it. We could not get the fit right. We have been working on it weekly for over two months. 6-8 test sockets, two transfers and nothing really adequate for an active lifestyle. I have one transfer socket that I can wear, but it isn't right. We kept trying. I am now awaiting my new shuttle lock system. I could give Ossur a few clues that might make the seal-in better for BKs. It is just too easy to lose suction, then the leg feels like it will just fall off.

... and then they learn what he's really like ;) :P :lol:

Oh ho, and we also have a resident comedian, I see! :D

That's great news Debbie-glad to hear it. I have a seal in as well and think it's terrific.

Marilyn; started with a pin for the first year-Marcus is right, by the time I got to the seal in my walking was better and I was also able to judge the difference. Just a time thing. Besides, thinking back I'm not sure I could have handled it straight off.

Marcus saw the Freedom guy from here the other day. Some of the new products & feet look amazing. I'm impressed and wanted to take a couple home. He was also showing me the volume vacuum thingy-can't remember it's name but what a cool device. Boy I needed the lotto after that day! Will sure be going back for a visit to that man.

Mel

First off, Marilyn be patient. I cannot believe how much better I am doing after the first year. I went running last night and it felt great, but I am feeling muscles I forgot I had... you will be doing your "extreme yard work" in no time!

Marcus, I did not know you worked for Freedome Innovations.... I have told many amputees about this awesome foot the last week! I cannot tell you the difference it has made! I was into aerobics big time (instructor) pre- accident and with my old foot could not bouce on just my prosthesis...not now! I have been doing this little boxing move thing all over the house! pretty amazing!

Neal, regarding the seal in liner. It actaully is holding great. I ran in it without even using a back-up suspension sleeve. my problem is not the liner (i think) but not the right socket fit. I am loose from mid calf to the knee. (which is causing bell clapping) I have an Ertl and a long limb which I am told is the best senerio for this seal in liner if you are a BK. I know about 5 Ertl amps who use it without any problems... But I have heard BKs with the typical limb shape cannot get a good seal. Maybe Ossur will work on that (bug them at the convention!)

Have a great day friends-

Debbie