Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shane

Rebuilt: The Human Body Shop

I think this is a new series, I watched last week and it was very interesting. It airs at 9pm Central (USA) on Discovery Health. If I remember correctly, tonight they are going to feature a lady that is a AK runner. And I'm sure there will be more. Last week they featured 3 different amps. Included was a man with the C-leg, another with the Mauch SnS, and a little boy BK soccer player. The format of the show reminds me of some of the chopper (motorcycle) or hotrod build shows that are common in the US. My only reservation is that I wish they could give a little more time to showing the struggles these folks have been through and still deal with. But, overall, I really enjoyed last weeks show. :)

Hey Shane, I've been following this series... I think they aired perhaps 5 episodes by now. It is great for motivation! But yes, I wish they'd show someone like me, a new amputee, and what it is like learning to walk, don the leg, etc.

All in all, I've never seen a series like it, and it came just in time for me!

Hey Shane:

Yes it is a great show and right now my son and I have been talking with them on our own versions so keep bringing your inputs (my son is a producer). There trying to get other channels to pick it up so lets get more peple to watch it. For anyone interested in there area go to www.discoveryhealth.com and you can find out what channel in your area or just get input.

Good Job Shane

:D :huh:

Pete

Hi

Man I am so mad right now, I havent gotten to watch it yet. But it starts at 9 pm USA time. and what day? Let me know, because I think I keep missing it because I either have the right day, and not the right time.

Lesley

Hullo!

Each Wednesday night (TONITE) at 10:00pm (Eastern Standard Time) on Discovery Health Channel.

They repeat the episode some time on the Weekend... not sure exactly when. Don't worry, they'll show all these episodes again!

SS, is your son the producer of the show, or a producer in general?? Cool! Keep us apprised!

Thanks for the reminder Shane. I've heard about it, but do to one thing or another, have yet to watch it. So I'll be sure to put it on my *To Do List* for next week. :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

I have seen the show two times here in Ohio.....it is on Wednesday night @ 10:00PM Not only do amputees need to see these shows, but others so they need not stare when they see us . :( :( I still have a hard time when I see someone staring @ me.

I have a friend that tells me thats when you look them straight in the eye and ask if there is something they want to know. :lol: :lol: I am working on NOT letting it bother me.

:P (eag)

I am definitely diggin' this show. :D I saw my second episode tonight. Seems odd how different you look at things as an amp. Every time they would show someone walking or otherwise being active, my eyes go straight to the legs. I'm thinking "how well do they walk?" or "alright, how's she gonna do this?" So much to learn. Seems like there should be a pill. :P

Sometimes I feel like I can sense people staring as I "walk" by. (I wear shorts as often as possible.) If I'm in a really good mood, I'll try and time it just as I pass and they feel it's safe to really have a good look, then I quickly look over my shoulder and smile really big. Eye contact is the key. Really fun watching the grown ups try to cover up! :D :D The kids don't mind. :rolleyes:

Every time they would show someone walking or otherwise being active, my eyes go straight to the legs. I'm thinking "how well do they walk?" or "alright, how's she gonna do this?"

Shane, this show came just in time for me. I'm a brand new amputee, just going to my second physical therapy session with my leg today.

As I watched yesterday I, too, looked at how they all walked. Especially the BKA who wanted to play soccer. As I am now only walking with parallel bars (or maybe a walker today!), this gives me hope that someday (soon?!) I will put my leg on and walk away!

Great show! :D

Hi Marilyn:

As to answer your question, my son owns his own production company(Mindspin Productions), he is not the producer of the show just knows people in the business and we recommended if they needed any input that this forum and ourselves would be glad to help. Keep up the good work and soon you'll be doing what ever you want too.

Pete :)

Hi Marilyn and Shane

I just wanted to thank you marilyn for giving me the right day and time.

Shane, even though I missed these shows, what you said about looking at thier legs and how well they walk, I do the same thing.

Glad ya'll joined us.

Lesley

I just wanted to thank you marilyn for giving me the right day and time.

This show is a "don't miss" for me. Somehow, my husband saw a commercial for the very first episode and told me about it, and I've watched it ever since. My leg guy told me that he thinks they are only doing 9 episodes. I hope there are more!

:P

Geeze, I hope there's more than nine!

Marylin- It may be a slow start on walking, but I'll bet that soon you'll really start taking off. That's the way it seemed for me. I am still really new at this myself, but those first few weeks held alot of small victories. So keep on keepin' on! ;)

Shane, yes I agree -- there should be more than 9 episodes! I'm hoping my leg guy is wrong.

Whew! Baby steps for sure -- I'll do it, I just need to trust myself more! Thanks for the support!

Marilyn

Just a thought here. I always keep in mind that the calf was not designed to be a foot. It has to learn new feelings and activitys all over again, no matter what our age is.

Give it time, it will eventually "accept" this new thing that it is encounsed in, and become as comfortable as an old shoe. Honestly, mine is. I hardly give it a thought, expect in passing.

I remember in the army 50 years ago, that we had a couple of guy's who had never worn shoes before in their life. (17-18 year olds when they enlisted). One was my top seargeant who was telling me once about his first days, and how the shoes hurt his feet so much. It didn't mean much to me then, but now I can relate.

Same difference.

I remember in the army 50 years ago, that we had a couple of guy's who had never worn shoes before in their life. (17-18 year olds when they enlisted). One was my top seargeant who was telling me once about his first days, and how the shoes hurt his feet so much.

Whoa Jim! Great analogy! (Did you ever see that movie "No Time for Sargeants"?)

This is my new shoe! Great way to look at it! :blink: (this is me, being befuddled, but hey! I'm learning!)

I watched the first four episodes, taped them actually, and enjoyed them. I have gotten lazy about it lately and missed at least one, maybe two. I need to program that machine to tape it again....

I loved it, overall, but kept having the feeling that they put too much focus on the prosthetist. They give him these dramatic intros to do and it comes off as hokey to me. They stress his accomplishments a bit too much for my taste, esp when that time could be spent on telling more about the amputees themselves.

I was very impressed by the show with the little girl who had double above knee amputations, even missing a lot of her lower back, and they made her 'stand up' legs....really a sweet story.

I also enjoyed the one about the boy who has lived iwth a BK all his life and plays soccer. I got encouragement from that because I have had this (silly?) goal in my head that I wanted perfect gait...I am two years past my surgery and not close to perfect gait. But watching this kid run around and even walk, I realized that 'different' gait is not a bad thing....I changed my standard. I may never walk perfectly, like a two legged person, but I walk comfortably, and in a way that my back doesnt hurt at night, and I have plenty of energy all day, so now THAT is my new standard. My husband said, 'you dont limp now, you waddle'....and he's right. Limp always implied negative to me....but waddle is just a style of walking! :D ;)

As for the looks I get.....I am not natured, so wear shorts a lot, even in winter (I live in Utah, where is snows a lot..) So I am used to the looks. My kids play a game where, when we are in public, they walk about 20 feet behind me and count how many people stare, once they walk past me and dont think I can see them...it is very entertaining, actually. ;)

I always make myself assume that they are thinking positive thoughts about me, like that I am to be respected for being out, enjoying life, despite the fact I have an artificial leg. Unless they open their mouths and tell me otherwise, I can CHOOSE to assume what they are thinking, and it does my mental health good to think they are admiring me! :D

Didnt mean to get on my soapbox....this reply has rattled on....sorry!

Judy

Utah

LBK

Hi Judy

Did you know that women with DDH (develpmental dysplastic hip/s) are more likely to marry when they're young, because they have a waddling gait? It seems it's because it's more attractive to the blokes...well, it worked for me! B)

And, I think you & you're family are wonderful:

So I am used to the looks. My kids play a game where, when we are in public, they walk about 20 feet behind me and count how many people stare, once they walk past me and dont think I can see them...it is very entertaining, actually. ;)

I always make myself assume that they are thinking positive thoughts about me, like that I am to be respected for being out, enjoying life, despite the fact I have an artificial leg. Unless they open their mouths and tell me otherwise, I can CHOOSE to assume what they are thinking, and it does my mental health good to think they are admiring me! :D

What positive healthy attitudes! :D

Lizzie :)

Hi Judy, good to see you back, hope all is well :) I agree, to waddle is a style of walking and a far better way to approach the situation, just so long as we don't start quacking!!! rk4o07.gif ;)

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

> My leg guy told me that he thinks they are only doing 9 episodes. I hope there are more!

There are exactly 8 programs, no more. I was on the episode that aired March 8th. I supose it was not so bad after all.

best

There are exactly 8 programs, no more. I was on the episode that aired March 8th. I supose it was not so bad after all.

best

Ah, that's very dissapointing! I've watched each show more than once.

Do you care to tell me which person you were? I feel like the folks on the show are my brothers and sisters!

Our local alternative newspaper here in Cincinnati is going to do a cover story on amputees and their journey. I had an interview this morning with them. I really hope they don't misquote or misconstrue what I had to say!!

Nice to meet cha!

Marilyn,

I am the bilat-BK that aired first on March 8th. The other two on that program were the female AK NYC bus accident and the male BK construction site backhoe accident.

best

Jonathan