Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Agnes

Knee Bending

Hi all,

I am now into the 3rd month of my BKA, had noticed that I have much difficulty bending my knee. Til now, my knee can only bend 90 degrees and no more. Is this common and will my knee be able to bend as much as before?? How long will it take? The tingling sensation in my stump is making me crazy at night. Sometimes the sensation is so strong that I have difficylty sleeping. Also, because of a fracture in my femur, there is a bearable pain on my thigh. Will all these pain go away with time? Will the leg ever feel normal again?And if so, how long will it take approximately??Please advise...

:o HEY AGNES... ITS NIKI BRK

I BROKE BOTH OF MY FEMURS IN MY ACCIDENT!

I DIDNT NOTICE TOO MUCH PAIN, BECAUSE I WAS IN HOSPITAL FOR THE FIRST 3 MONTHS (DRUGS).

MY DOC USED TO COME INTO MY ROOM EVERYDAY TO SEE HOW FAR I COULD BEND MY KNEE (HAD MAJOR DAMAGE IN MY RIGHT KNEE) AND HE CONSTANTLY SAID THAT HE WANTED A 90 DEGREE ANGLE! :rolleyes:

I COULD HARDLEY BEND IT AT ALL AT FIRST, THEN SLOWLY I MANAGED TO GET A 90 DEGREE ANGLE, JUST LIKE THE DOC WANTED!

I THINK 90 IS AS FAR AS IT WILL GO.. ;)

YOU HAVE DONE WELL BY THE SOUNDS OF IT, CANT DO ANY BETTER! :lol:

:rolleyes: LUV NIKI

Hi Niki,

Thanks for your encouragement, but is 90 degrees really the limit? :o I used to do cycling and if my leg can't bend as before, I might have to give up cycling for good. I can't let that happen, can I?? Is there any form of exercise that I can do to help my knee bend further?? Really hope to let it go back to normal...

Luv,

Agnes

Dear Agnes,

You are still early in the recovery stage. :huh: You are doing fine. :) Don't worry as much and you will find that your pain level at night will decrease. :unsure: The phantom pain is fed by your stress level, so try to relax more. ;) Keep your mind busy on fun and enjoyable things as much as possible. You will be ok, and we will be here for you. :rolleyes:

All my best regards your way with luv :wub:

:D HEY AGNES,

;)

DONT YOU EVER THINK THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO GIVE UP CYCLING! YOUR ONLY JUST GETTING STARTED TO PROGRESSING, AND BY THE SOUNDS OF IT YOU GOING VERY WELL! :D

:lol: KEEP IT UP!!!

YOU NEVER NO, YOU COULD BE ONE OF THE NEXT WORLD CHAMPS!!!

LUV NIKI

Agnes,

I can bend my knee further than 90 degrees and biking is not a problem. I would give yourself some more time to heal and then GO FOR IT...

Brenda :-)

Agnes,

I am a BKA that lost my leg almost 11 years ago and had all the exact same problems you are having now. My knee is completely BETTER! It took about 6 months for me to get complete range back in my knee but it did come back.

I also had severe phantom pains that kept me in pain especially at night. This has not gone away completely but is 100% more bearable. I still have phantom pains everyday but I have become used to the feeling and it does not bother me.

I remember exactly where you are right now. I was also very impatient to get better quickly. By the way one of the first things I was able to do was ride a bike. :D

Keep up the good work and things will get better.

Good Luck

Shae