Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Marilyn

Silly Stuff!

:) :) B) B) :P :P :D :D :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :) :)

I have what is considered to be the best joke ever told. Its funny, some people say it is the best but others say it is the worst. But everyone who hears it can’t stop laughing. I hesitate to tell it because it contains some improper language. I could always replace some letters with *’s and the thought will remain. Maybe I’ll just hold it until I get the courage to send it.

jackcham

Jackcham, I think I embarrassed myself by posting that awful cartoon of the silicone lasting forever! :rolleyes: But we'll forgive you whatever you post!

Someone once told me "When in doubt - do without". I go on the premise that if I knowingly offend one person, then it wasn't worth it. (The key word here is "Knowingly").

This is just my way of thinking. I'm from the '50's, (born in the '30's),where unmentionables were just that - unmentionable, and gentlemen never cursed in front of ladies, or told "off-color" jokes in mixed company.

Times have sure changed.

I'm saying all of this with humor. The boundries have definitely been stretched over the last 50 years, and I have never been known as a prude, and enjoy a good joke like anyone else. I wind up being my biggest censor however, depending on the company.

I"m not making a judgement - just sharing a period of time that no longer exists, and doing it with a smile.

Jim, you are so right on... I never heard my father swear. He did - in male company, usually with his brothers, but in front of females, never. Those golden days held a lot to be admired. I admit to being part of the baby boomers who generally need to learn restraint!

However, sometimes there can be a refreshing honesty (at a what price!) in going uncensored...

Ah, the quandry. :rolleyes:

It's what we used to call "Ribald humor", and I confess to laughing just as loud as the others. I was not suggesting a standard by any means. Just explaining why some of us older ones may not join in.

I always appreciate well intentioned mature humor.

You know what has always struck me as odd? If you went to a nightclub to see a comedian, you'd most likely hear the foulest language and you'd laugh your a** off. But if that person came into your house and used that kind of language you might very well ask them to leave. Many people are afraid of certain words. Then again, if you type the words using astrisks with just enough letters to get the meaning, that seems OK. I think, as Jim T has implied, people are not as uptight as they've been in the past. I don't know if that's good or bad but, after all, they're only words. I remember when I was a kid I went to see the movie "Gone With the Wind" In it, Clark Gable shocked the audience when he said, "Frankly Scarlett I don't give a damn." We've made a lot of progress since then...lol

jackcham

You know, there are all sort of social mores around the world. My identity is in the '50's. My basic language is English. My country is America. My culture is California country, (as opposed to the big cities). My music is Patti Page - Teresa Brewer - Eddie Fisher - Bill Haley and the comets, the Four Aces, Four lads and the Platters.. et.al., just to name a few. Oh - and my all time favorite - Joni James

Why - because that is the world that I was raised and taught in. That doesn't make anything else wrong - or mine right. Just different.

Having spent years in the army and most of my life in either sales - business - and construction, there is little that I haven't heard or seen

"Been to a hog callin', a barn raisin' and a county fair, and I 've seen most everything."

I definitely did not mean to be making a judgement. Just because these are my standards, doesn't mean that someone raised outside the U.S. during the '70's or '80's or whatever, that speaks another language and had a different social life should see things the same as I.

I do belive however that there is pretty much a universal standard of what constitutes a lady or a gentleman in any society.

BOY - I don't have any idea how I got off on this tangent. One of my "Senior moments" I guess. Please keep the jokes coming. I think that I was just refering to a question of Jackcham's - Quote " I hesitate to tell it because it contains some improper language. I could always replace some letters with *’s and the thought will remain. Maybe I’ll just hold it until I get the courage to send it."

Sometimes I think out loud too much. Sorry about that.

Jim T,

I'm probably revealing my age but what the heck. My culture is pretty close to yours but I'm sure you've done much more than I. My music is the same. I went to a Catholic High School and every Saturday night there was a dance. One of the priests had an in with celebrities who came to Philly and he had them appear at our dances. We had the Four Aces, Eddie Fisher and yes, even Joni James. I didn't know how to describe it then but with our expanded vocabulary today I would say it was awesome.

jackcham

Jackcham

Now I'm envious. (A word that I rarely use). The closeset I ever got to those stars was the the radio or TV. Branson, MO, just about 85 miles from me has them every now and then.

Right now Sonny James is playing in the background on the stereo. There is a radio station in our area that still plays all of the old '50's and '60's music. Some one once called it our "music appreciatiion era". mine is definitely the late '40's and the '50's. Still good music. It is all I ever listen to.

I also attended a Catholic high school - (the only Episcopalean there), and a Lutheran 3rd grade.

Hey guys, don't forget ELVIS and ( :blink::ph34r: ) yes I'm from the same era (is that spelled right??) B) B) who cares about our ages!!! You are as old as you feel!!! :mellow::mellow: we have just mellowed out more than some of the rest of our gals & guys. RIGHT!!!!

(eag)

Jim T,

There’s a radio station in Philly, WOLG 98.1 FM, that plays nothing but oldies. My car radio is tuned to that station all of the time. The songs of the 50s do two things for me. First they are good listening and second, they bring back memories of my youth. When I was in high school the long running Broadway show was South Pacific. I had the lyrics of every song in that show memorized and as long as I kept them in my mind and didn’t blurt them out, I was a pretty good singer. I don’t know what Al Alberts of the Four Aces is doing now. For the longest while, after the Aces broke up, he and his wife were running a TV talent show for kids. He is a well respected member of the community in Philly. The other day I opened my high school yearbook ( I still have it) and there was a picture of the Four Aces receiving a commendation at our Saturday night dance.

Jackcham

WoW!! To use a word that my wife and I still use - That is so COOL!!

Our PBS station had the Four Aces, and the Four Lads, along with Patti Page, and many more that I didn't have time to watch on one of their shows the other night. I was tempted to send for the tape.

Yes Ann, Elvis is definitely in there. He was just coming in then. I met my wife right after I came home from the army, (Aug. '58, We married in November), cruising the drive-in's about 25 miles up the coast from Malibu. Her and her girl friend were in their convetible (Chevy), and a buddy of mine were in his, (1950 customized Ford. (My '52 bright red Plymouth convertible was parked nearby). My buddy asked me how I thought we could meet them, (He was star quarterback for USC.) I said, "I don't know, how about this?", and I walked up to her and said. "Hi, my name is Jim Thompson". We've been married 47 years, and have 4 children, 10 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. Thank goodness, I've never been bashful.

Say, did you happen to watch "American Idol" last night? The theme was the 1950's. Barry Manilow was helping the contestants out and tutoring them.

Anyway, I started High School in 1950, graduated in '54, dropped out of college in '55 to join the army for 8 years, (3 active), met and married in '58, and had our first child in '59. I would say that we are definitely 1950's people.

Anyway, thanks for walking down "memory lane" with me.

Ann, you are absolutely right. Age has nothing to do with it. "I yam what I yam". I'm the same person I was then. Hopefully wiser and more mature, but the same. It's this darn body that keeps wanting to change.

Jack, it sounds like you were in the right place at the right time.

:( :( Yep, our bodies have a way of giving out little by little.

(Eag) B) B)

:( :( Yep, our bodies have a way of giving out little by little.

(Eag) B) B)

I tell people that the Good Lord doesn't know what to do with me all at once, so he is going to take me piece by piece.

:o :o Muz, I can see a line of men on the platform now! (Do asian folk know how to spell english words?)

Do asian folk know how to spell english words?

I've seen quite a few examples from native english speakers as well :lol:

My new keyboard :lol: