Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
anne.brook

An amputees mum

It doesn't sound silly at all.

When I went into hospital the night before my amp I was accompanied by my Dad and one of my brothers. I was fine until my Dad left my brother and I alone whereby I completely lost it and burst into tears insisting that he take me home. After some calming words I regained my composure and focus.

The following morning my Mum sat with me prior to going to theatre and it was her that needed the calming words from me.

Fear is a completely natural feeling for you all right now but you know that a correct decision has been reached. This is the start of a new life for you all and from your posts I am certain that you shall all be fine.

Best wishes to all of your family.

I so agree. I was really scared. I never said anything but my hubby saw it in my face. He was so brave it would have been much easier for him, to say come on lets go home you dont need to do this yet!!!!!

When I got back from surgery I was relieved. My pain level had dropped. Oh I know i was still on pain meds post op but that was a very different pain.

All I can say is good luck. we are all thinking of you.

Rachel

I so agree. I was really scared. I never said anything but my hubby saw it in my face. He was so brave it would have been much easier for him, to say come on lets go home you dont need to do this yet!!!!!

When I got back from surgery I was relieved. My pain level had dropped. Oh I know i was still on pain meds post op but that was a very different pain.

All I can say is good luck. we are all thinking of you.

Rachel

Hello Anne. I have only recently joined this site, and it's only four month's since i had my left leg amputated below the knee. It only seems like yesterday and i was scared too, very scared, i think it's only normal.

I wish you and your daughter the best of luck.

When I was a baby and my right leg was amputated, My mom tolf me that she didn't know what to do of who to turn to, she was exactly like you. I was only a baby when the took my leg but I and now 20 and I love to do everything I can. walk, swim, bike, party all that stuff. I was able to walk by my self only 1 year after the operation. The doctors even told my mom and dad that They didn't think I would be able to walk again... I guess I proved them wrong. You just have to keep her motivated and keep telling her to keep her head up high like the princess she is, and that anything is possible.

I'm a LBK who had some of the same concerns you and Victoria have.

Something no one else has mentioned is the reaction to reduced dosage/elimination of Morphine. It's definitely "good stuff" for pain, but I had severe hallucinations when I got off it. We called it "loopyland" and I have a clear memory (false) of spending a day in Iraq. That's among others.

My wife had a series of hallucinations centered around ghosts and goblins. We were in the same accident.

Just a heads up.

Gil Davis

post-1850-1151373592_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for you kind words and wishes. Well today's the day. I expect I will be at the hospital most of this week, but will keep you all posted on Victoria's progress

Likewise, I hope everything goes well for you and your daughter. If I have any advice to give, it is to try your best to stay focused on why you are there and the prospects of the future. It has been a long, tough journey so far. That journey has finally come to it's end and now you will start a new journey. And I think a much happier one. I'll be thinking of the three of you and sending lots of good vibes your way. Please update us when you can. I'll be waiting...

;)

I'm a LBK who had some of the same concerns you and Victoria have.

Something no one else has mentioned is the reaction to reduced dosage/elimination of Morphine. It's definitely "good stuff" for pain, but I had severe hallucinations when I got off it. We called it "loopyland" and I have a clear memory (false) of spending a day in Iraq. That's among others.

My wife had a series of hallucinations centered around ghosts and goblins. We were in the same accident.

Just a heads up.

Gil Davis

I went to the Mad Hatter's Tea Party - Was a prisoner of the 1920's gangs from the "Untouchables" (In San Francisco???) - and was a prisoner in the "Raid on Intebe", but it took place in Kuwait, one year before the Gulf War, or before Saddam H. moved in.????. Go figure. (Different surgeries) Complete with the normal spiders and ants crawling on the ceilings.

Like Gil said, "Just a heads up". Just realize that it is the drugs playing tricks. And to think that there are people who take this stuff for "fun". ;) ;) ;)

My mind know's these to be true - My intelligence however tell's me different.

You all have given me so much hope. I have begun a new topic "Now the Journey has begun". I started it from the surgery onwards.

You know Dell, I have always called her my princess and she is. She is a delight to have as my daughter, and I regularly give thanks to the Lord for giving her to me.