Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Shane

Rider of the Year

I have had some good fortune come my way that I would like to share.

As some of you know, I have returned to cross country motorcycle racing and our season started this past Sunday. Our races are "over the hills and through the woods" and last 2 hours plus one lap. This particular race was on a 7 mile course. All things considered, It was the toughest race I've ever been in. I am attempting to compete in the same class I raced in before my accident, so I do not expect any high placements right away.

So, at the end of the day, (and 12 spills later) I finished the race 14th out of 18 in my class. The computer also corrects times and places you as compared to all racers. There were 167 total and I placed 86. My body is beat from head to toe and I have blisters on my butt. :huh: I am thrilled to be back!!! :D :D :D

However, the really big deal happened the night before at the awards banquet for last season. There are about 200 racer/members in the series. Each year the racers vote for "Rider of the Year." This year they chose me! :D I received a really nice embroidered riding jacket and a nice plaque with a picture of me riding on it. But the very best was the standing ovation when my name was called!!! I was speechless. It's really hard to properly communicate how much that means to me.

This entire ordeal is by far the toughest thing I've ever gone through and I wish I could wave a wand and make it go away. But we all know that won't happen. So you have learn to look for the good in things. Truth is, sometimes, people are saying really nice things about me that I would have never dreamed of hearing before. :) :) :)

I may have some some decent pic's from the race. If so, I'll post them later.

Jeez, between you and Anne Brook, I am never going to have a dry eye, not ever again.

Well done honey - really. How awesome for you.

I'm going to blame the soppy weepy touchy feely wave on hormones, or girl's stuff, or something else equally as miserable.

WE WANT PHOTOGRAPHS (sniff)

Well done - oooooo - yes - thank you SO much for sharing - it is such a boost for the rest of us to hear things like this.

(((smooch)))

B)

Awesome Shane :D :D

{{{{HUGS}}}} to the Rider of the Year! I'll just think of you when I need inspiration!

Shane, nope none of us signed up for this crazy stuff (amputee-ism and all that), but by golly, we are all going to do the very best we can with what we have!!

:P :D :P :D

Congratulations on the award and ovation Shane!

Carol

Well done Shane. As a competitive motorcyclist (Road racing) myself I know that

it is a tremendous ego boost to receive an award like this from your fellow competitors.

I think you've done superbly well and congratulations. Keep going mate.

There is nothing like a shot of adrenelin to make you feel good.

I miss it now as I don't race anymore but hope to parade a bike later this year.-- if I can get my bad leg onto the footrest. I'm working on it.

Well done again

John.

Is that chuffed?? ... or chafed?  :P

Probably both!!! :lol:

I've noticed a lot of our friends from the UK use the expression chuffed! This is a new one for me... assuming it means like jazzed or "up" or something like this?!

I've noticed a lot of our friends from the UK use the expression chuffed! This is a new one for me... assuming it means like jazzed or "up" or something like this?!

This is how Wiktionary defines chuffed:

Adjective

1. (UK) (informal) Very pleased or satisfied.

:)

Yes, chuffed and VERY chafed!!! :huh: I am on day 4 out of my leg because of the raw arse! Last week I was out 3 days after squashing my stump. At this rate, I'll never get more proficient at walking! <_< Good judgement has never been my strong point.

Ok, here's a pic. I am still waiting on another that a friend took and I'll post it when I get it. Pics of an individual rider are tough to get due to the number of riders and the length of the courses. My wife waited in this creek to get this picture. This was not very far after the start and just after a rider, who ran off course, hit me in the left side and flattened me!! :angry:

Ya know, if I'd had a leg on that side, that could've really hurt!! :P :D

Thanks everyone!

post-8-1141907275.jpg

Thanks again, Khairull!! Definitely ranks up there with my personal all time greatest moments. This past season has me a little more climatized to what I have to do. This year I really hope to "step it up." Season starts again in February, so we'll see.. ;)

BTW, I was recently elected Vice President of the series I race in. :)

Shane well done rider of the year what an achievement i showed my wife and she was so impressed but she is still against me getting back on bike but its work in progress .

well done mate you are an inspiration .

Raven

Yes, chuffed and VERY chafed!!! :angry: I am on day 4 out of my leg because of the raw arse! Last week I was out 3 days after squashing my stump. At this rate, I'll never get more proficient at walking! <_< Good judgement has never been my strong point.

Shane

You're doing excellently. I don't think your fellow riders agree with that remark about judgement. You're doing what you really want to do and doing it well. Sorry to hear about the "owies", but they will heal.

You've just been elected as one of my "Heroes". Just keep the greasy side down.