Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Marilyn

Any Tips?

I also had a walker to use @ home....and could only wear my leg afew hours at a time until I had gotten used to it. Then I started walking in my kitchen preparing dinner from stove to bar to frig (*you get the idea) and all of a sudden I started letting go of the walker more and more.

You are doing fine :) :) (eag)

Marilyn,

Just to repeat what everyone else has said - you are doing fantastically, and don't worry about it - it will come.

I never thought I was going to be able to walk on the drasted thing and still have days when I can't, and it hurts, and I limp, and I get my crutches out. But most of the time it is fine.

I still use one stick when I am outdoors. I feel like I need it and am not willing to let go of it just yet. But I am using it less and less as time goes on.

One day you will find that you get up from your seat, walk over to where you wanted to go, and suddenly realise that you forgot your stick....... when I started losing mine all over the office only to find my boss playing golf with it half an hour later was when I realised that maybe I didn't need it inside anymore!

Just know that it will eventually happen, but take it all at your own pace.

x x x

Hey Marilyn - you are doing so well.

Here is what my prosthetist said to me when I had serious trust issues with a new socket and knee.

This is one of the only ways to get to know your leg, and get to 'work' it.

Get yourself off to a big soft rugby field, or a park with lovely lawn. Or get onto a stretch of beach with firm sand.

Choose a day where there aren't too many people.

Chin up - look forward and up, not at your feet.

Lose the sticks.

Put your shoulders back.

AND STRIDE OUT. Just give it all you've got and walk. Don't be afraid of falling. Know that you if you fall, you will NOT hurt yourself.

Take even steps - SWING YOUR ARMS. Move forward with purpose. Go girl.

If you do this, you will get a rhythm going, you will start to 'feel' your leg. You will know how far you can push your leg, you will know how hard you can work it. You and your leg will start 'talking' to eachother. You will know when and if the leg is going to buckle on you (which it more than likely will NOT do). Trust. It will come from this.

Try it.....you and your leg will like it.

:)

:angry: Many thanks to all my friends here!

I just got back from my session with the pt and things are going wonderfully! The adjustments my leggist made yesterday have made all the difference in the world. Hurray!

My therapist was quite amazed with the difference between Tuesday and today! I even got away from the parallel bars and used a walker with wheels for the first time! Whoo Hoo!

Tomorrow I go back to pt and I take my walker and get wheels. Have permission to use it at home after the wheels are attached. Things are waaaay good today! I remember my first walk with my first test socket. I actually wrote down that I didn't think I could ever walk with that thing! I'm flying today (like that butterfly in my dream!).

If you have the belief that you can walk and the desire to walk ,all it will take is practice. Don't expect too much too soon. Little advances each time and practice ,practice, practice and you will WALK.

Best wishes

Keep on Going Your doing Great

John

John, thanks! Today has been a major breakthrough for me... I guess I thought I wouldn't be able to do it! (And truthfully, I had doubts since my surgery back in August 05)...

I see that you are approaching your one-year anniversary. Many good thoughts and vibes your way this month.

Hi Marilyn

Congratulations on being upgraded to a walker with wheels! :D It's great news & it sounds as though you'll soon be walking with forearm crutches.

Lizzie :)

Hey Marylin! Great to hear the good news. I've been having some phone line problems and get kicked off line frequently or I would have responded sooner. I really had some good advice to give, but then Ally beat me to it!! :D Sounds like you are definitely on your way...aren't those "small victories" great!?! :D

Keep up the good work. You're doing fantastic! :D

I have had my right below knee prosthesis for 4 weeks today. My biggest problem is that I need a full left knee replacement that is indefinitely postponed. Ally's comments are definitely right on. I have found that this is the best advice is that you have to think about each step at first, and focus on engaging the leg fully. Stepping hesitantly is the real problem. Think about engaging that leg right down to the end of the foot and you will surprise yourself. Yesterday, I walked in and out of 5 different places, and could not believe it myself!

Ally - I must say that that was the most comprehensive piece of advice that I have read yet.

I believe that your instructions should be posted on the bulletin board in every CP's fitting room.

Clear and explicit. Bravo!!

As you can tell, I totally agree.

Here is what my prosthetist said to me when I had serious trust issues with a new socket and knee.

This is one of the only ways to get to know your leg, and get to 'work' it.

Get yourself off to a big soft rugby field, or a park with lovely lawn. Or get onto a stretch of beach with firm sand.

Choose a day where there aren't too many people.

Chin up - look forward and up, not at your feet.

Lose the sticks.

Put your shoulders back.

AND STRIDE OUT. Just give it all you've got and walk. Don't be afraid of falling. Know that you if you fall, you will NOT hurt yourself.

Take even steps - SWING YOUR ARMS. Move forward with purpose. Go girl.

If you do this, you will get a rhythm going, you will start to 'feel' your leg. You will know how far you can push your leg, you will know how hard you can work it. You and your leg will start 'talking' to eachother. You will know when and if the leg is going to buckle on you (which it more than likely will NOT do). Trust. It will come from this.

Ally, you could also re-post that post in the pinned 'Tips For Daily Living As An Amputee' topic in the Tips & Tricks forum, if you wanted to.

:) :)

Ally, I FINALLY get to respond a bit more in detail... whew, all this running to and from pt sessions and knee guys and leggist!!

I love what you have written here. I actually have a big, cushy backyard in which to do exactly as you describe. Yesterday was my first day of walking with only one hand on the bar, and I was able to do it again today (albeit a little less well since I have some soreness from yesterday!).

In a couple of weeks I'll print out your lovely post of suggestions. Go outside, and take a big breath and walk the length of my yard! And Ally, I will be the happiest I've been in a long, long time! You always have something very constructive to say!

A million thanks! :P

Hi Marilyn,

Sounds like you are getting along pretty good. I built up my upper leg muscles in the therapy dept at the hospital. I had to work-out before I could walk-out. The doctors told me that I would never walk without sticks, I proved them wrong. As a matter of fact my physical therapist was so stunned when I stop by to see her 3 months after and was on my own power. I evened learned how to walk up and down steps without using the handrail. It's up to you. Anyone who doesn't know that I have a peg,lol are usually stunned and caught off guard. I also drive a clutch car and can do everything but run due to hip and leg muscles and bones damage. If I can co it so can you. if you get down get on here and talk about it. I wish these websites were here when I going thru my next phase in my life. Talk to you soon and Keep on Bookin'.... See Ya Jerry

Jerry, You rock!! I'm doing pretty well, I think. After the shock of the initial trial with the leg, I'm feeling much more "at home" in it! I don't know that I'll blow anyone away, but hey, if I blow myself away, that's all that matters!!

Hi Marilyn,

Something dawned on me this morning while driving to work. Maybe you should get a segway. It would help you with the wobble,lol. Just kidding. Hope your day goes great. and give it all you got girl. Jerry