Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jackcham

Introduction

Hello all,

I happened to come across this forum. I immediately recognized some friends from the Amputee Treatment Center and thought that this must be a good place too. Now I may be able to double my number of friends if you'll have me.

A little about myself:

My name is jackcham....jack is my first name and cham is an abbreviation of Cunningham. I reached the peak of my life in Jan, 1996. Up until then the docs had been keeping an eye on my aortic aneurysm. When it reached 6 cm in size it was time to repair. The repair itself went well but during the process some stuff lodged in my right leg and by the time they got to it so much damage was done that they had to take my leg off above the knee. During the amputation they found that I was allergic to heparin. It has the opposite effect on me....instead of thinning my blood it causes clots...clots like you wouldn't believe. More on that later. I was recovering nicely or so I thought, when a month after I was discharged from the hospital I was rushed back in with Congestive Heart Failure. They determined that I needed a quintuple heart by-pass. The problem....the would have to use heparin during the operation. Fortunately, I had the best surgeon in the area and he was able to use a controlled amount of heparin without incident. Surely now I was on the road to recovery but with each subsequent blood test my creatinine level was increasing. They attribted that to dye which had gotten into my kidneys during the aneurysm repair and the amputation. The creatinine finally reached a level where I was required to go on dialysis in Aug, 2002 which is where I am now. I have other issues which I won't mention now. I just mentioned the above in case there are others who have questions or similar problems that they might want to discuss.

On the lighter side, the one thing I haven't lost is my sense of humor (or humour as our Brit friends would say). I'll try not to bore you with my dumb jokes. I'll save the funniest ones for you.

jackcham

Hello Jack

Good to see you here on the other side of the forum "pond", (so-to-speak). I've been reading your posts on the ATC and have always found them full of information, spirit - and yes, humor.

I lost mine, (rbka), due to clots from an arterial operation, and have had my own set of problems, but sounds like different in many respects than yours.

Welcome to this group, which so openly welcomed me just about 5 months ago. They absolutely are an amazing group of people that impress me most every day.

Something I learned early on in listening to everyone. If we were to all throw our situations and conditions, past and present, out on the floor - without a doubt, I would scramble to pick mine up first. Many - many here have definitely had it worse than I - in my mind.

Yay Jack! You're in! :D

You'll love this place as much as I do... I find since I'm still (temporarily) home bound, that I can spend a LOT of time online. This is not wasted time at all... I've learned so much more than I would have without being here and the ATC. What a blessing!

G'day Jack and welcome.

Share the jokes!! Share the jokes!! :lol:

Cat

Hi Jack welcome to the forum. What an ordeal you've been through.

Good to have you here.

Mel.

Hi Jack. Welcome to this Unique Family, where the members are all over this planet.

Like you , I also lost my leg (right above knee) because of the use of heparin. I spent almost a year and four months, having too many surgeries to repair the arthery of my leg, cleaning it from the clots..just to have the clots back almost imediatly after having put on heparin..Big missing clue, why my arthery was cloting!!!

The mistake the doctors have been making with the use of heparin is huge and for the love of God, I don't understand how come so many doctors don't know about it, nor they admit making the mistake, once they had happened and report to their Medical Jornal!!!. I was in Brazil, talking to some doctors who are well informed and they all knew the risk of using heparin, so they run a kind of test before put it inside someone's vein.\

So sorry to hear it is still happening to others.

Keep your head up and things will get better.

Dea

Hey Jack, a big Ohio welcome to you....I am sure you will enjoy talking with every-

one...they are a fantastic group....we get alittle crazy :blink::ph34r: sometimes, but all in all I think you will enjoy yourself. :) :P B)

(eag)

Hello again,

I want to thank everyone for such a warm welcome. As I've read in so many posts, you people are truly amazing. Being here is like belonging to a brotherhood...sorry, I should say sisterhood too....or to be politically correct maybe I should say peoplehood. The point is that everyone here has their own problems but when they see a chance to help someone else they jump at it. One person (Ben) on the ATC told me it made him feel proud to help me. That probably sums up everyone's feelings. I didn't have any doubts that I'd be accepted here but when I got such welcoming responses I breathed a sigh of relief. BTW, I work during the week so most of my posts will be on the weekends.

jackcham@aol.com

Hey there :)

Welcome to the HMM forum Jack. You are really going to like it here.

Ally

xxx

Hello again,

I want to thank everyone for such a warm welcome. As I've read in so many posts, you people are truly amazing. Being here is like belonging to a brotherhood...sorry, I should say sisterhood too....or to be politically correct maybe I should say peoplehood. The point is that everyone here has their own problems but when they see a chance to help someone else they jump at it. One person (Ben) on the ATC told me it made him feel proud to help me. That probably sums up everyone's feelings. I didn't have any doubts that I'd be accepted here but when I got such welcoming responses I breathed a sigh of relief. BTW, I work during the week so most of my posts will be on the weekends.

jackcham@aol.com

Jack, I think you hit the "magical" part of this and the other forums. When we need help, we get it and then we get to pass along some measure of our own experience to others when they need it! Ain't it a wonderful world?!

Hello Jack! :D Welcome to our peoplehood!! : :lol: P

Hi Jack

I too am very new here (i only joined this Tuesday). I am waiting to have my amputation so can't offer you any advice i'm afraid but I just wanted to say Hi and Welcome :D .

Hi, Jack. Welcome to our forum family. By the way, we LOVE jokes. :D