Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
GreyHoundGirl

Keeping from sweating

OK, I need to know how many of you have/had terrible bouts of sweating when you had your amputation? I know that mine is mostly related to the methadone I'm taking but I also know that it's from the prosthesis as well. My prosthetist told me that because my leg is gone there are less sweat glands and that since the prosthesis makes it so my leg is unable to breath I will sweat even more not to mention that it takes more energy to walk with a prosthesis. So how do you all keep cool? Right now my doctor has me on clonidine for the perspiring but it has yet to do anything for me and I really can't stand sweating all day long where as before I hardly ever sweat and was cold most of the time. I can't do anything now without breaking into a sweat, I mean it's really severe I basically sweat all day long even if I'm just sitting doing nothing and it's driving me absolutely crazy. Are there any other stronger meds that can be taken for it?

Thanks everyone,

Kerrie

Hi Kerrie

Yes, sweating can be a problem when you're an amp. The reduction in sweat glands will affect how your body adjusts to temperature changes...and it also has to do with your altered blood volume too. Anyway, having said that, I only get a 'problem' when the weather gets hot, or if I exercise very hard. If I think it's going to be a problem I use an antiperspirant, such as Anhydrol Forte.

Lizzie :)

I sweat more than I used to but didn't know the amp had anything to do with it. That's interesting.

Hi Kerrie,

sweating :- no great words of wisdom from me , i have only just (the last few weeks) started to even feel the cold.

my doc told me that it takes the body a while to adjust how long he didnt say i gues its a time thing ( again)

but the amount off sweating that i do has dropped in the last few days so maybe my body is getting its act together.

sorry lost my leg about 16 months ago if that helps

take care ..............mick

Hi Kerrie, Lizzie is right and it makes it worse if you have had additional skin grafts done. I sweat much more now days but normally wear a t-shirt in winter. Try to wear open toe sandals on my good foot-that makes a big difference.

I don't know of any medication that they be used, but proper anti persperant from the chemist can be used on the stump area as well. Check with your Dr first though.

Mel.

Hey Kerrie

Is it a 'cold' sweat. I mean, do you actually overheat and sweat, or does your body just perspire......

Cause if that is the case (sweating for sweating's sake - not getting really hot) - methadone is more than like your culprit and you may be taking too much.

Ally

Well, The idea of sweating MORE after an amp is not appealing! I take prozac and have for 10 years... It helps to balance me out and I find if I try to wean myself off it, I get blue after about 5 weeks. Prozac does cause one to perspire more... And YES I sure wish it didn't!! Hope the amputation doesn't cause even more of a problem! Yikes! :blink:

Marilyn - don't even THINK about it. Take those sweaty thoughts and send them out into the ethers....never to return.

I have not experienced any additional sweating as an amputee. If it is a hot day, obviously my socket makes me feel a bit hotter, but that's all.

And anyway, women don't sweat.....we glow :P

Yep Ally, I just glow away! :P

To tell the truth Ally I have actually sweated more then normal since the actual amputation itself even before the methadone. I just came off the methadone right after I posted this and as of right now I am still getting these "Hot Flashes" and I sweat from anywhere to 15 minutes to more then an hour. It's not like actual perspiring like you would do after running a marathon on a 100 degree type of sweating, I will literally sweat buckets while I am just sitting watching TV but it doesn't feel like the same kind of sweating you would do because it's hot outside or over excertion. Before the amputation I had to keep my heat on 70 degrees in the winter and would freeze in the summer from the air conditioning, now I can't have my heat over 64 degrees and can stand in front of a strong blowing fan for several minutes before I feel any kind of relief. It was 80 degrees here the other day and you would have thought it was 120 the way my body heated up as soon as I stepped outside. I want some type of relief with the exception of sitting on ice all day LOL

Thanks all of you for your help,

Kerrie

Hi Kerrie

I don't get that type of sweating. Mine feels like you do if the surrounding temperature is too hot or if you've just exercised...it's just that I find it easier to cool down (if it's cold) and easier to warm up (if it's warm). I suppose you could say that my 'thermoregulators' are all up the creek! :rolleyes:

The profuse sweating you're describing sounds more like a reaction to the morphine, or 'the change'.

Lizzie :)

Cannot offer much advice here, I have not noticed any discernable difference in persperation since having the amp.

Ally was right though. Horses sweat, gentlemen perspire and ladies glow :lol: :lol:

Mind you, Afet made me sweat a time or two these past few days :lol:

:wub::wub: "Oh Awesome", you're such a bullsh---er!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be willing to bet you make all your lady friends swooonnnn.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

(eag)

:wub::wub: "Oh Awesome", you're such a bullsh---er!!!!!!!!!

!! I'll be willing to bet you make all your lady friends swooonnnn.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

(eag)

Hey Ann that was no Bull that girl is insatiable ^_^

Given half a chance :lol: ;)

Just for another point of view - I don't notice myself sweating any more or less now than I did before the amputation, but I have just remembered when I was in hospital it was the middle of winter in England and freezing. The room I was in had a balcony and patio doors and I used to have to have the doors open all the time and the heating off because I was roasting all the time.

I just thought that the heating was turned up a bit too much in the hospital, until I realised that all my visitors were keeping their winter coats and scarfs on when they came to see me!

Even when I got home from hospital and started to get back to normal life I spent the whole of the winter hot (no puns Muz). I didn't use my winter coat once, which in an English winter is saying something.

Unfortunately, the hotness hasn't lasted into this winter and I have frozen along with everyone else when it has been cold. I would make the most of it if I was you Kerrie!

x x x

:wub:  :wub:  "Oh  Awesome", you're such a bullsh---er!!!!!!!!!

!!  I'll be willing to bet you make all your lady friends swooonnnn.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

(eag)

:huh:

Ok - now I'm getting hot under the collar. My wordy birdy - what is this forum coming to. By the time I get my package, it's going to be all worn out! <_<

:wub:  :wub:  "Oh  Awesome", you're such a bullsh---er!!!!!!!!!

!!  I'll be willing to bet you make all your lady friends swooonnnn.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

(eag)

:huh:

Ok - now I'm getting hot under the collar. My wordy birdy - what is this forum coming to. By the time I get my package, it's going to be all worn out! <_<

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Behave you two ... I was referring to her capacity to ask questions of those (me) in the hot seat

Ally your package is just fine, no damaged goods for you my dear ;)

Hi Kerrie,

I think you're right about your sweating being mainly related to the methadone. Now, having said that, I DEFINITELY am "warmer" since my amputation, without a doubt. I don't sweat more, just always warmer than everyone else in the room! My husband noticed it before me, as I used to always be cold (pre amp), and then he noticed I was always complaining of feeling too warm (post amp)! I was under the assumption it was because of the blood flow, having one whole less limb to go through and distribute, thus creating a nice warm cozy body! ;) I'm missing practically my whole limb, mind you- high level AK. Don't know if there would be a difference between an AK & BK. Hmmmm, interesting...

Anyway, Kerrie, I hope you and your Dr. get it sorted out soon. I know how uncomfortable it is just always being the warmest in the room, let alone actually sweating so profusely, as you mentioned. Good Luck hon!

OK, I need to know how many of you have/had terrible bouts of sweating when you had your amputation?

Hi Kerrie

I am not sure that I have had "terrible bouts of sweating", but I do feel the heat and prefer the colder weather. The summer is the worst time for me (live in UK), and will get really hot and sweaty quite quickly, I also run out of energy too. The other times are when I am walking quite quickly, however I am bilateral, so understand that it does take more energy to do things.

Having been an amp since the age of 12, I didn't used to notice it quite so much when I was younger - maybe I was fitter then and it didn't affect me so much. At home I usually just chill out, try and keep cool with plenty of fluids. Last year, I returned to vol. work, and during a hot spell was finding it quite difficult to keep going and really noticed for the first time how it was not affecting others the same as me, they were moaning about the heat but were still able to carry on running up and downstairs etc. etc. whilst I just needed to chill out. So not sure if with me it is an "age" thing or not.

Agree with you guys-I don't feel the cold like I used to less body mass-I also react to the heat more because I have less sweat glands, thanks to my AK and multi skin grafts.

I agree guys,

In the last few weeks at work, I've been wearing sleeveless t-shirts and everyone else is in jumpers ('sweaters' for those of you not in the UK). I've always been a warm blooded type but it looks a bit mad walking my dogs in the freezing cold, my husband wrapped up in coat hat :rolleyes: and scarf, and there's me in cropped trousers and t-shirt! :blink::unsure:

I agree guys,

In the last few weeks at work, I've been wearing sleeveless t-shirts and everyone else is in jumpers ('sweaters' for those of you not in the UK). I've always been a warm blooded type but it looks a bit mad walking my dogs in the freezing cold, my husband wrapped up in coat hat :ph34r: and scarf, and there's me in cropped trousers and t-shirt! :blink::huh:

I use Drisol and it works great. I put it on at night but you have to wash it off in the moring before putting the liner on. Before using Drisol I had heat rash somthing awful. To get rid of the heat rash I used diper cream and it worked.

I agree guys,

In the last few weeks at work, I've been wearing sleeveless t-shirts and everyone else is in jumpers ('sweaters' for those of you not in the UK). I've always been a warm blooded type but it looks a bit mad walking my dogs in the freezing cold, my husband wrapped up in coat hat :ph34r: and scarf, and there's me in cropped trousers and t-shirt! :blink::huh:

I use Drisol and it works great. I put it on at night but you have to wash it off in the moring before putting the liner on. Before using Drisol I had heat rash somthing awful. To get rid of the heat rash I used diper cream and it worked.

Ihave been sweating like a pig ever since I had my amputation. I haven't worn a winter coat since Nov of 2005 and I wear sleeveless all the time. My doctor put me on cymbalta and it helps a lot.

JudyH

Hi, I have had this problem as well with excessive sweating. My prosthedisit and other doctors perscribed me drysol with a roll on applicator. It worked great! Put it this way one day I was running down a sidewalk with my friends and the next thing I knew i was on the ground cause my limb slipped off from sweat. Now with the drysol it doesnt matter how hard i push my self it doesnt happen.