Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
GreyHoundGirl

Keeping from sweating

OK, I need to know how many of you have/had terrible bouts of sweating when you had your amputation? I know that mine is mostly related to the methadone I'm taking but I also know that it's from the prosthesis as well. My prosthetist told me that because my leg is gone there are less sweat glands and that since the prosthesis makes it so my leg is unable to breath I will sweat even more not to mention that it takes more energy to walk with a prosthesis. So how do you all keep cool? Right now my doctor has me on clonidine for the perspiring but it has yet to do anything for me and I really can't stand sweating all day long where as before I hardly ever sweat and was cold most of the time. I can't do anything now without breaking into a sweat, I mean it's really severe I basically sweat all day long even if I'm just sitting doing nothing and it's driving me absolutely crazy. Are there any other stronger meds that can be taken for it?

Thanks everyone,

Kerrie

I started sweating horribly after my amputation - I had to put a large terrycloth towel on the bed and one on my pillow. Sometimes I had to get up in the night and change them. I alsoam taking a high dose of neuronton. My doctor put me on cymbalta which helps greatly. I also wear a Comfort Ag under sock under my aegis pin liner. Otherwise I think I would be able to pour the sweat out. I can't use a lot of deodorants due to alergies.

JudyH

I'm glad to hear that I am not alone in this. Today here in Chi Town it is -10 degrees out there but tonight when i go to bed i will have a fan on.

It doesn't seem to be as bad as it used to be but I still sweat A LOT. I suppose that someday it will go away. If you know let me know.

Energy consumption for walking is proven to be substantially higher for lower limb amputees, so you're doing more work.

I liked a quote I saw a few years ago which described all AK amputees who walk, as athletes... we're doing the same work as an bi-ped running!

25% extra energy for trans-tibial amputees and 66% for trans-femoral amputees, if I remember correctly.

So, bilaterals use? :smile: