Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jackcham

Reflex action

About a year ago I went to the doctor with a problem with the nerves in my neck. The doc had me sitting on the edge of the examining table. He took one of those little hammers with a rubber end and started banging on my prosthetic knee with no reaction. Just for fun I reached down and waited for him to bang it again. When he did, I pushed my foot out and when he saw it swing back he realized what he was doing. He got as red as a beet and then we both had a good laugh about it.

Good story, Jack! :) I have several of those sort of stories, including... several surgeons who, on x-ray requests, have asked radiographers to x-ray my right knee! :blink: One radiographer only realised there was a problem after he had taken the piccie...when he noticed that instead of a boney knee joint, there was a nice little prosthetic knee instead! :D

Lizzie :)

About a year ago I went to the doctor with a problem with the nerves in my neck. The doc had me sitting on the edge of the examining table. He took one of those little hammers with a rubber end and started banging on my prosthetic knee with no reaction. Just for fun I reached down and waited for him to bang it again. When he did, I pushed my foot out and when he saw it swing back he realized what he was doing. He got as red as a beet and then we both had a good laugh about it.

haha,, did the Dr. learn anything?? A few years after my accident,, I was watching my brothers and their friends play soccer..Well the ball ended up coming my way and without even thinking about it I tried to kick the ball..Every one saw this and started to laugh..I couldn't help it i burst out myself..prbably funnier if you know that i am a Bilateral ak amputee...all they saw was my stump go up when the ball went under my wheelchair...lol...i still get a KICK out of it.....lol

I can't begin to count the times i've tried to kick something aside with a foot that's not there! I'm not sure whether it's more "funny" or "frustrating," but I usually laugh!

i've also had any number of doctors want to examine my left leg and/or use it for "comparison" to my right one. it's funny when they do it... but I do the same thing, which is just bizarre! When i was having my last batch of 'troubles' with my right foot, i was eternally trying to compare "how it looked" to "how my left foot looked."

Needless to say, there was NO comparison!

Ever drop your washcloth in the shower and try to pick it up with your foot....that's not there???

When either taking my legs off or putting them on, occasionally, one (or both) of them fall down.

What really bugs me though is the amount of times I've gone to "save" that falling leg with one of my poor little stumps :blink:

Whack! <_<

Ouch! :o

What makes it worse is that you'd think I'd learn not to do it because of the pain I sometimes get from being such a div :wacko:

Some very funny and I might add familiar stories. LOL

Here is one of mine.......Was home from hospital about a week, doing

exceptionally well with my Brand new shiny (Temporary) leg. I was so

cocky, seeing I was walking unassisted by any device. Luckily I had a small apartment....I got up from the table to get something ...took one step and had to grab the wall. :rolleyes: Wow! When I realized I was still standing, I looked down and my cute little footsie was pointed west LOL It had loosened and turned. Needless to say, my Prosthesis guy cane over immediately and got me going again

I laugh now, but at the time it was pure terror rofl

Pattilyn <_<

Hi Everyone:

Has any had the top of their pros get stuck under a desk while you are trying to get up. It has happened a lot to me and I have to have someone kick the back of my pros knee, so I can get out. LOL

Lynne

Lynne, I have a file cabinet next to my computer at work, and I can't BEGIN to count the number of times I've caught my toe under that thing and had to figure out how to "wiggle myself loose!" Makes me feel foolish every single time I do it......

Patti... During the life of my first socket, I was shrinking so rapidly that we had a hard time keeping it stable... the entire leg would twist, and my foot would eventually wind up "pointing west." It was so common an occurrence that I often didn't notice it until the foot was at a really extreme angle. (Of course, I was on a walker back then... if I'd been walking unaided, I'm SURE I'd have noticed it MUCH sooner!) Anyway, I got to the point where I'd be walking along, start noticing horrified stares of passers-by, and realize that I'd "twisted" again... so I'd lean up against the nearest wall for support, reach down and grab my socket, and yank my leg back 'round to the front..... then walk off, enjoying the gasps and gawks of those who'd just watched me "twist my leg"... literally!

I did not get stuck more jammed. I went for a test drive in my DREAM car! AS I went to get out my foot got jammed behind the break pedal and I was sprawled half in and half out of the car.

Very embarassing

Rachel

Get stuck under the desk atleast once a day, under the the break pedal once and a while, under the stoop to the front door more than enough times.

Also stomped down on a bug more than once only to have him crawl away.

-Bill

My toe gets stuck under the frig. You can tell where I hang out :D

Lynne, I have a file cabinet next to my computer at work, and I can't BEGIN to count the number of times I've caught my toe under that thing and had to figure out how to "wiggle myself loose!" Makes me feel foolish every single time I do it......

Patti... During the life of my first socket, I was shrinking so rapidly that we had a hard time keeping it stable... the entire leg would twist, and my foot would eventually wind up "pointing west." It was so common an occurrence that I often didn't notice it until the foot was at a really extreme angle. (Of course, I was on a walker back then... if I'd been walking unaided, I'm SURE I'd have noticed it MUCH sooner!) Anyway, I got to the point where I'd be walking along, start noticing horrified stares of passers-by, and realize that I'd "twisted" again... so I'd lean up against the nearest wall for support, reach down and grab my socket, and yank my leg back 'round to the front..... then walk off, enjoying the gasps and gawks of those who'd just watched me "twist my leg"... literally!

I get my foot caught under cabinets, furniture etc. You feel stupid.

JudyH