Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sunshine

A new member to this funky forum

Hello everyone :unsure: ,

My name is Yvonne and i became a right above knee amputee last November. My saga all began a few years ago when i had an achey knee that just got worse, eventually after alot of trying to convince doctors that it was more than being unfit or a torn muscle, ligament, varicose vein (and many more!!) they gave me the proper tests which showed that i had a cyst. After the removal of the cyst they found out that it was a synovial sarcoma. They then dug into my knee again to remove as much as they could then gave me chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

Ahh, so now i could relax... or so i thought. I went for my first scan just to check that everything was ok to find out it had come back!! so i was given 2 weeks to decide whether to remove the leg or have removal and intensive reconstruction. I did not fancy the idea of reconstruction at all so i made the decision to remove the leg, (This of course was a difficult choice to make). Luckily this was a good idea as the sarcoma had moved next to the femoral artery and was told that the leg might have to have been removed during surgery or the sarcoma would have probably come back and then the leg would have to have been removed in the end anyway.

So 3 months on i am doing ok, i have just started swimming (which i used to love) and the gym!!!! (still not sure how i got roped into this one).

I must say that this site has been a wonderful read, you all are helping me and have some sound advice. I hope i can be of help to someone as you are to me.

Already i have a question (Oh, no i hear you say!) Well really it is advice. I have started walking with 2 sticks and am wondering whether to do a sponsored walk for cancer on 2 July 06. The walk is 5 km/ 3.1 miles. I went to the gym today and did 0.15 miles :( . So with alot of hard work do you think with your experience that this is achievable?

Well, thats enought babbling on for now.

Love Yvonne

x :unsure:

Hello Yvonne.

Being a below the knee amputee, makes my perspective on walking somewhat different than yours, so I will leave the advice to other AK"s and just say: "Welcome to the forum"

It sounds like you will have much to share. Take care.

HEY YVONNE, SOOO GLAD YOU DECIDED TO JOIN US........THIS IS A FUNKY GROUP & WE HAVE A GREAT TIME. :unsure::unsure::huh: YOU SEEM TO BE GETTING ALONG OK. I AM LBK AMP. .BUT WE HAVE SEVERAL THAT CAN HELP YOU WITH ALMOST ANYTHING. :P B) :P

Hey Yvonne

The fact that you are even considering this is fantastic.

Achievable??? Who knows.

Try it.

Why not?

After 11 years I doubt that I could do it (I am a wussy). But heck hun, give it a go.

WHOOOOOHOOOO for you.

Welcome to the group - and hope you stay!

Ally

Welcome to the forum, Yvonne! :D

If you think you can do the walk, then go for it! You'll need to do some fairly intensive training though as it takes more effort to walk with an AK prosthesis, but your swimming should help your fitness levels. Do your training & see how you feel around the middle of May, as you should have a better idea of how you'll manage.

Lizzie :)

Hi Yvonne and welcome to the forum.

As far as walking is concerned, give it a go, but listen to your body is telling yo,u if it's too much then stop. But you will know that you have given it your best shot, and thats what peeps do here all the time, give it their best.

Hi Yvonne. Welcome to the forum. With your fantastic attitude, I bet you can do anything you put your mind to.

Welcome Yvonne :D

So glad you found us. I hope you enjoy your stay here, though I get a feeling that you'll fit right in! ;)

The walk... It certainly is achievable, and if you are determined to do it, then Just Do It B)

However, if it was me, personally, I would perhaps wait til next year. I hate failing, and with the walk being only a few months away, that's ALOOOOOT of pressure to put on yourself. I would probably try to get ready for it now anyway, just incase, but would have the attitude that next year is going to be my year and that this year's preparation is just for fun.

I look forward to reading more from you :)

G'day Yvonne and welcome to our funky fashionable forum family :D

You can do anything you want to. If you want to try to run, walk, hop, skip or lay on the couch then all you got to do is want to do it and good things will come your way.

Hope you join in the fun :P

Cat

Hi Yvonne,

Welcome. I reckon you will know whether you are able to do the walk when the time comes. It is great to have that as a goal, but you will know whether it is streching you too much or not nearer the time. I think if I was you I would sign up for it and train for it, and just see how you feel on the day. Even start it, but just make sure that you don't push yourself too far, and if you feel that it is too much, then stop.

As a guideline, I got my leg last June (I am a BK so a bit different to you, but I had a broken femur as well which slowed me down a lot), and I think that by September/ October, on a good day, when my leg wasn't hurting me and was fitting perfectly, I could probably have done 5k. But the good days were by no means often. But then again everyone is different.

Anyway, you seem like you have a great attitude, and that is the most important thing.

I am looking forward to reading your posts in the future.

Fiona x

Welcome Yvonne,

I'm sure you will enjoy it here. Support and advice by the bucket full and its all good from the people that KNOW.

As far as the walk is concerned, I'm BK so can't offer you much advice except to say that if the desire and determination is there you may do it, only you can tell.

I think that as a goal -- it is good to have one. If it is acheived, then that is brilliant. If not, then you have advanced yourself by trying. Really you cannot loose. So my advice is GO FOR IT.

Best Wishes

John

Hi Yvonne..Welcome to the group..it is a great place here. I think it is a wonderful goal to have!! As John said working towards it you can't lose either way.

Hi Yvonne,

A HEARTY WELCOME from a guy who had his right leg amputated like you

to survive a sarcoma (liposarcoma in my case).

You can read my story, if interested, in the 'Personal Stories' section of the

Sarcoma Alliance: Michael Wackers; http://www.sarcomaalliance.org

Take care!

God Bless!

Mike

Yvonne,

Welcome to the forum there are many wonderful people here that make this site one of the best.

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Hi Yvonne, welcome to our friendly forum family. :D

You certainly have been through a lot and yet still have such a good positive outlook, that's great and so long as you hold onto it, all things will be possible. ;) Just like Afet said, if you are determined then JUST DO IT!! :D

rwm39u.gif

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

We may not accomplish everything, but everything we accomplish will be worth the effort

Hello & welcome Yvonne,

yes you will do the walk no problem, you just have to start slowley and carefully,start with short walks and as you get better extened the walks but at no time push it too far. As i have said many times on this fourm keep a written record of what you do each day, and then after a few weeks you will be supprised how far you have come.

as for the gym:- i always feel better walking outside but thats me :D .

As you do more walking you will also get that little bit more fitter which helps with the walking its a win / win situation.

At the moment dont worry about the distance just concentrate on getting comftable with your walking, the distance will "just" come .

BUT its sooooooooooooo much better to do a little bit each day rather than pushing it to far and herting yourself ok :o & use the swimming as a way of relaxing your body after your walk.

You can do this i know this because i can ( Im lak) its taking the first step thats the hardest and you have already started that.

Dont push yourself to hard and most importantly have fun whilst you are doing it

it will happen ......................take care mick

ps let us know how your getting on .

Hi everyone,

Can i just say, I do not think i have met so many amazing people in one place. Thank you so much for your kind words (great banner Sheila :D ).

I think a site like this is great because everyone helps everyone else, but if someone is feeling low, or need advice, everyone else is there for them.

I will take on all your good advice, and when i do achieve it, whether this year or next, it is a great way of getting fitter and becoming one with the prosthetic

:blink: .

Love Yvonne

xxx :ph34r:

I will take on all your good advice, and when i do achieve it

That's the right attitude girl! B)

Not IF, but WHEN you achieve it. That kind of self-belief is priceless. And so motivating for us to see.

I have no doubts that you will achieve doing this walk.

Gooooooooooo Yvonne B) :D B)

So it's not IF we see Mike's package it's WHEN? :lol:

Yvonne you can do anything you set your mind to. :D

Good day Sunshine. :D (Now that song will be in my head all day) Welcome to our little corner. I'd like to congratulate you on your winning attitiude! As you have seen, the people here are fantastic and always willing to lend an ear .

Like you, I'm an AK (left), since Aug. 2005. I have found that, somedays, things go very well and I can get around and do what ever I have tasked myself with. It's those "other days" that are tough. Somedays, me and this leg just aint' jivin'! :lol: :P

Everyone hear has already given great advice (as usual). I guess my 2 cents would be to work as hard as you can, but, ALWAYS remember that pushing too far today can take you out of the leg for the next few days. Pace yourself. A little discomfort - OK. :wub: Stump pain and broken skin - BAD. :blink: (Note to self: start taking your own advice).

Again, welcome and the best of luck on reaching your goals. You're in great company here!! :D :D

Hi Yvonne

Welcome here to the forum, hope you like it here, lots of people from all over the world who can understand where you are coming from. If you need anything, someone here is bound to help, maybe you need someone to listen to!! I am here.

I am a RBKA

Lesley

Hi Yvonne

I just wanted to welcome you to the Forum. I cannot offer you any advice with the run as I'm awaiting AKA but I admire your spirit. If you do go ahead with the run all the very best :D

Kind Regards

Hello Yvonne--a little late but wanted to welcome you to the family! I'm rbk so not much advice. Your determination and attitude will take you far!

Carol

Hello everyone,

Thanks again for all your wonderful words. The latest is i managed to do 0.4 miles the other day on the treadmill at the gym and my leg was ok. I thought that my stump would be sore or irritated, i was pleased that it was not, i think it was because i tried not to push myself too hard.

I have been looking for a car to buy as my other car was a manual. What a ball ache, trying to buy an automatic car is very hard, my husband and i tried looking for a second hand car but the only one we found was too low so i either bumped my head getting in or could not get my prosthesis in and out. Has anyone else had this problem? So we have found a new car which looks as if it would be a good purchase, we are going to look again tomorrow (sigh!)

Love Yvonne

xx

P.S. Thanks again :rolleyes: