Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pat.UK.

The last 4 Years.

:unsure:

Hi

It's 4 years since I came out of hospital after my second operation from being an BK to AKA. It dont seem that long ago time flies by.I have been a member of this site over 3 years now I was in the first 30 to join one of the best things I have done since becoming an Amputee,I still post when I can nice to see new members getting help from this site best wishes to all the members new and old.

Kind regards Pat.

So it's not just Johnny who's celebrating a 4th anniversary?

Four years on, and I should imagine that you feel quite a bit different now, compared to then, don't you, Pat?

Congratulations! :D

Lizzie :)

Thanks for "breaking the ground" for us Pat. Seem's to me that you laid a pretty good foundation.

I didn't know any other amputees, other than one friend of my sisters, and my prosthetist for so many years. I even had to give my own therapy and learn on the fly, from an egotistical AK prosthetist, that left me with mainly sores on my stump for five years, until I found the right CP. (A non-amputee at that).

Two years ago when I started to put my item out to the amputee public, I began getting calls from other amputees who called to order, and just wanted to talk. (My wife calls our business phone "an international amputee support center", because I visit with everyone.)

So, for the first 16 years, my wife and I were on our own, making it up as we went along.

I am thoroughly enjoying sharing our experiences, strength and hope with each other.

This is what you and the other pioneers here developed. Thank you.

Hi Pat

This may it will be 3 years since my amputation, and wow you are so right, time flies by so fast. Enjoy it.

Lesley

Why do you clock time by what you've lost?

Hi Joe Good to hear from you over here.

The way that I look at it, I haven't lost, just traded. Somewhere along the way, It could be said that I've lost my youth, but each year I celebrate another year of aging.

Trading the leg for a whole new perspective on life, was not my choice, but now I make the most of it and try to gain.

I am just thankful to have had the 52 years that I had before. Now, 18 years later, it's on to another chapter.

And yes, if I had my "druthers", I'd druther have my leg, but then I'd might as well wish for being rich and handsome too, so I celebrate having made it succesfully this far, and am still looking at the grass from the green side up.

My grammatical error Joe.What I should have said was: "Nice for me to see you over here". I don't recall reading your posts here before, but have enjoyed them for some time on the ATC. Your dry wit and unassuming approach has at the least given me pause for thought at times , and the most, given very good answers to some complex questions.

As for dates, the date of my amputation is no greater to me than the date I moved to Missouri, bought my last car, or quit college and went in the Army. Dates have a way of sticking with me - so much so that my family has always come to me for - "when did we do this, or that".

I"ve lost a leg, a kidney and a few other bits and pieces, including my tonsils, but I don't celebrate these - just remember them. I then go on and work with what I've got left.

As I've said before - I don't live in an amputee world, or think "amputee". I just have one leg shorter than the other, but I try to share my experience strength and hope with others, for whatever good comes of it.

You take care. Like I said, "Good to see you".

Awesome Blue Posted on Mar 21 2006, 11:11 PM

Nice to read that Pat, each of us benefits from the strength and success of others.

i will just add my thoughts to that :- Pat its because of people like you that newbies like me get over this .............thankyou mick

:blink:

Hi Joe.

I dont remember it as a loss but as a gain the only thing I remember is the pain I had before my leg went losing my leg was no loss it was no good to me when it went I miss the day's when it was worth keeping but not when it went by then it was no use to me at all.So my memory of 4 years ago are good. And that I was released from pain and I started life again pain free.And found many friends who are worse off than me and they are very nice people and most are on this site.

Kind regards Pat.

Hi Pat,

Congratulations, I feel the more years you get under your belt the happer you will be. As you have just said, i was also in pain before i had my amputation. So i feel now that i am finally starting to live a normal life, leg or not. I am in no pain!! to me that counts for alot.

I suppose some people just want to forget what has happened so do not count the years as it will count as a reminder.

Well done, and go out and celebrate.

Love Yvonne

:blink:

Thanks for the tip on the search availability. I have never used it before. I usually come on here to interact with other amputees, and lend my experience, strength and hope where I can. I'm on this darn computer most of the day, and it is a break for me to quickly jump in and chit-chat for a minute, and then back out and go to work.

I spent 17 years without having anyone other than my prosthetists to talk to about these things, so I really don't have that many questions - at the time being. I just hope to lend some support where I can.

Your questions with the alignment are way over my head.

As I'm sure you have discovered, this is an exceptionally empathetic group of people who go out of their way to help those in need. Your expertise and insight, from what I've read on the other forum are much needed.

I believe that you called yourself "terse" once, because you are an engineer. Or, is it that you are an engineer, because you are "terse". Whichever, you fit right in. Hope to hear more from you.

Thanks for the "chit-chat".

Thanks Joe for the suggestion. As a General Building Contractor in Southern California, We (my crew and I), specialized in remodel and new additions, which included many decks, which included some of my own designs. Due to all of the the many surgeries however, it was necessary for me to retire, in 1991.

Today, I am engaged in a completely different endeavor, which is also of my own design:

www.thompsonsllc.com

My wife and I run this as an internet business ourselves. (Except for the manufacture of it, which we do have done locally). We are now in 48 states, Canada and the U.K. (Strangely, never in Hawaii, North Dakota and Wyoming - Yet.)

Needless to say, this keeps me more inside at the computer each day, than outside building decks. I am however, completely remodeling a 1920 farm house here in Missouri. I have built a complete guest house, with an all tiled bathroom, built a 4' tiled handicapped shower for myself, and a custom tiled shower and boxed in claw foot tub for my wife.

That in addition to tearing the whole inside of the house out and remodeling it to our own specifications. (Not to mention a garage, carport, 3 outbuildings and a loafing shed. All of this by myself from the ground up. (With my wife as she can, of course.) My next project, is tearing out the family room and kitchen and her office and remodeling them.

Thank you for the comment about the "talent". My question is: Where do you see the "time"?

I am putting all of this on the forum in hopes that it might help someone else who may feel that life ends after amputation. Mine is definitely still going strong, even after 43 operations, bankruptcy, (after my insurance cancellled out on me at the beginning of my operations - actually, the one in which I lost my leg.), and being 69 years old.

I fimly believe that life is what we make of it.

Hey Joe A

I am coming up on my third anniversary of my amputations and plan to celebrate It.

To ask, "Why do you clock time by what you've lost?" isn't entirely correct for some of us, at least, not for me.

"I am clocking the time by what I have gained", Time!

I celebrate every day, once you come as close as I have to not having anymore "time," I don't think you fully appreciate it.

I am now back to work full time, and enjoying every minute of it!

...I believe that living or dead the spirit stays on forever. So there is no difference. When you really believe that then to die or come near to death is just another day...

Joe, I have been shown that we do, indeed, live on after death. My father (by no means a "religious" man) was allowed to visit us, his immediate family, after his death. For sure. He somehow made a personal visit to me the night before his funeral (no, I'm not crazy, just a little insane!). I believe his visit was because I had some weird fear of death. What he was able to show me is that all this crap (baggage) that we accumulate during this part of the journey (life) is so very laughable from the other side! Yep.

The rest of the family had other types of visits. None can be disputed. He even left a physical object for my brother (an object lost for 20+ years that meant nothing to anyone, except my brother). Go figure.