Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
dak102054

Forgetting

How many have forgotten in the early stage of your amputation that you took off the protestic and went to get up and almost fell?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many have forgotten in the early stage of your amputation that you took off the protestic and went to get up and almost fell?

• Yes, I've had that moment before
    • No, I always look and keep my wits
    • Maybe, It depends on if you fall or not

OK, I thought I didn't have anything to contribute on this one. -WRONG!

A few weeks ago, I had been working on my little (10 yr old) boy's race bike and, of course, had to take it for a test spin. :P So, off with the leg and around the yard I go. No problem, right? I pulled up outside the shop and turned off the engine. I was setting there on the bike, looking at something on the engine and then it happened. PLOP!! No outrigger on the left and to the ground I went. And , just to sweeten the deal, my one remaining leg (shorts of course) layed against the hot exhaust. How neat, a new scar! Add that to the list. :lol:

Kids, this is exactly how you don't do it. ;)

:lol: :lol: :wub:

Shane - I pulled that same stunt when I first lost my leg. My wife and I had a couple of honda 50cc scooters that we took to the lake when we went with our trailer.

I was still in a cast, when I had my grandson crank it up for me. I was just going to sit on it and forget my leg for a minute. The next thing I knew, I'm going down the road, with my stump sticking out to the side. My wife came out and asked my grandson where I was. He told her that I was out on the scooter. She asked if that meant in the garage and he said, "No grandma, OUT on the scooter". Whoops!! I got the dickens when I got back.

I stopped to see a neighbor, and like you said, "no outrigger on the starboard side". Fortunately I still had my cast on.

Jim- I have learned to pull my stump in and up out of the way. Y'know, gotta protect the stump! :D Hold tight to the bars and take the "lick" down your shoulder and side. :wub::blink:

I don't so much think that I'd forgotten that I'd taken it off-it was more like that I felt it was still there; and at times 2 1/2 years on I still do. :wub::blink:

/quote]

I did that Mel, and that was nearly 30 years on from the amputation, and I am bilateral, so beware everyone its not just new amps.

Only did it once and it was at a time when I couldn't wear my left leg, was sitting on the side of the bed and think I took my right leg off for some reason and then reached down to the floor to retrieve something thinking I had my left leg on and went straight down on the end of the stump. Very painful for the moment but no damage done. Floor was carpet though ... just the thought of those tiles brings tears to my eyes Siobhan.

i'm alway trying to move the bottom of the bedclothes with my none existant foot, or trying to use the 'non' foot to scratch the other.

I must say though... i'm glad that my brain still thinks i'm 'intact' because it's great to look down at your 'feet' and know that they're both yours. Do you know what i mean? :unsure: :( :blink:

Well I never went up to get something, its just like when people ask me whats wrong with my leg, or do I have one, I forget I do have one, because its so much apart of me, and I am so used to it, but there are times where you dont forget you have a leg, and are an amputee.

Lesley

I was at work last week and a customer came in ( it's a shop). I walked towards her and said ''are you ok ? or would you like some help?''. She looked me up and down and said, ''no, but it ooks like YOU do!''.

I forget that i'm an amputee all the time because that isn't what defines me. It's a shame people feel the need to point it out to me all the time. I mean, if I see someone with green pants and a pink top with orange shoes....I don't walk up to them and go '' oh my GOD, you've got REALLY bad taste!!''.

Ok Ok I'm waffling on now so i'll move over :unsure::blink::blink:

i'm alway trying to move the bottom of the bedclothes with my none existant foot, or trying to use the 'non' foot to scratch the other.

Now THAT I've done, and still start to on occasion, 18 years (soon) later. But then, I had 52 years of having a foot, so some habits do die hard.

In hospital on the night before my op, my surgeon came to see me and talk through what i should expect. He warned me to always keep the residual limb straight,the natural thing is to bend the stump upwards to protect it, fine when avoiding a fall onto it but after the amputation the body wants to protect the limd by keeping it bent all the time, this causes the muscles to tighten and it is then very painful to rectify and makes fitting a limb a problem.

My surgeon also told me that about 95% of lower limb amps have a fall within 3 days of their op, mainly when just woken up and not properly aware. Having been told this and being a one for taking instruction too literally i have never held my limb bent, it is always straight as a pole if i am not wearing my limb. I have not fallen yet, at least not through any fault of my own.

I am now so aware that it can hold me back tho, i find i am always looking for hazards, slippy areas, uneven pavements, blind people using white sticks(not their fault i know but i was walking along one day when from behind a blind lady waving her stick from side to side as they do, got the stick caught between my feet, luckily i reached out and wasable to steady myself on a lamp post) now when i see a white stick approaching i make a quick detour. :unsure:

i find i am always looking for hazards, slippy areas, uneven pavements, blind people using white sticks(not their fault i know but i was walking along one day when from behind a blind lady waving her stick from side to side as they do, got the stick caught between my feet, luckily i reached out and wasable to steady myself on a lamp post) now when i see a white stick approaching i make a quick detour. :rolleyes:

Now that was strangely funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was at work last week and a customer came in ( it's a shop). I walked towards her and said ''are you ok ? or would you like some help?''. She looked me up and down and said, ''no, but it looks like YOU do!''

Hazel, I think it was insightful of you to offer this person some help - based on what she said, her attitude certainly needs help!

Roz. :)

All in all I'd say I've adjusted pretty well. . .the wife caught me sleep-hopping to the bathroom the other night :rolleyes:

Ha ha ha ha :lol: :D :P :lol: :blink: :o :lol: ha ha ha marcus..... that's the best yet!!

All in all I'd say I've adjusted pretty well. . .the wife caught me sleep-hopping to the bathroom the other night :rolleyes:

That was good Marcus! :lol: B)

During my amputation period, (amp and then revision within a week or two), I had one hallucination after another. I attended the mad hatters tea party, was a prisoner of war, held hostage by the "untouchables" in the 1920's and was a prisoner in Entebe. (Remember the raid on Entebe in the ??? '60's to free the Israel captives at the airport in Uganda?)

Well, they had made a pad for my wife to sleep on in the room with me because they weren't sure what I would do. About 2 in the morning, I looked out the window and saw the campfire lights outside of the Kuwait tribesman, (Before the Gulf war, and I don't know how Kuwait figures into this. Without my glasses on, the parking lot street lights looked like campfires.)

Anyway, I woke up just as the nurse looked in the room (to me it was a guard). As soon as she left, I swung my legs (1 & 1/2) over the edge of the bed. I was going to wake up my wife, and rush her up to the roof where a helicopter would be there to rescue us. :rolleyes: (Get it??) Just as I was ready to stand up, my wife woke up and screamed, and pushed me back.

That's as close as I want to come. To this day, when I get up in the early morning, before dawn, and look out at the lights in our neighborhood, I'm reminded that those are really Kuwati camp fires.

Jim, that was - without a doubt - the funniest post I have ever read on here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

After lauging my head off and my Mum wondering what was so funny, I read it out to her, and we are both in fits!! :lol: :lol:

Oh dear .. And what makes it funnier is that I know that you truly believed all that, and that, maybe to this day, you still believe that you could have made that helicopter!! :lol: :P

Oh dear .. And what makes it funnier is that I know that you truly believed all that, and that, maybe to this day, you still believe that you could have made that helicopter!! :lol: :P

You are absolutely correct. They are as real today as any other memory. Only my brain tells me that they couldn't be true, but my mind thinks differently. (I know I could have made it if my wife hadn't stopped me.) Those hallucinations scared the dickens out of me. And to think that some people take those drugs purposefully for the hallucinations. Mercy????

I can relate to that Jim.

when I was in hospital, my husband bought me a little pink mouse in satin pyjamas and it went to theatre with me several times (by accident) , I clearly remember one afternoon, no visitors, I looked down at this mouse and stroked its nose....... I swear the little @*&%@ bit my finger!!! :huh:

....... I swear the little @*&%@ bit my finger!!! :huh:

You know, if you look at your finger and find a scar don't be surprised. I've often wondered if the hallucinations are real and our brain just won't accept that, or the other way around. Maybe we all really live in a surreal world. We're not crazy - the rest of the world is. :D :D :D

We're not crazy - the rest of the world is. :D :D :D

I've been saying that for years and nobody takes any notice of me! :P

Hi guys,

I had feared that rising from the bed shortly after my amputation, still drowsy with sleep, I might

forget that I was missing a leg.

I was terrified of falling on my right hip and buttock.

It never happened though.

But a couple of weeks later I managed to catapult myself from my wheelchair.

When I hit the ground, I was pleasantly surprised that my hip and buttock felt numb,

and I did not feel the excruciating pain that I had expected.

Kind regards,

Mike RHD

Mike, how did you catapult from the wheelchair? I've almost done this a hundred times... I get rolling fast and try to go through a door or something and hit the edge of the frame and it stops me short! Whew! I try to be careful, but I do get in a hurry!!

hi deb,

yes, i hopped around one time in my room in the clinic...wanted to get some chocolate from the chair on the balcony...when i had the chocolate, i closed the door and wanted to turn back to my bed....i tried to stand on my left leg...nothing. then i fell down. my reaction seemed to be quite ok...i didnĀ“t fall on the stump, but i had some other bruises. i am always gald , that i made some judo in younger years, there i learned falling in a controlled mode :lol:

i always had several falls with my prosthesis, because i always was proud, that i can walk...but it seemed that i better had to be more secure. the staff in the clinic called me "kamikaze" after this. ;)

later i did fall one time on my stump. it was after a long weekend trip with my old marathon team. it was on a parking area near the autobahn....it hurted much and we had to drive home for another 5 hours. maybe this caused revision surgery 1 year later, because something has grown at the femur end.

ciao thomas

Just read your post - I woke up, decided to use the bathroom, looked at the wheelchair - pushed it out of the way and stepped off the bed with my stump and received a horrendous bruise on my good leg. That was the last night I took a sleeping pill.

Judy

Mike, how did you catapult from the wheelchair? I've almost done this a hundred times... I get rolling fast and try to go through a door or something and hit the edge of the frame and it stops me short! Whew! I try to be careful, but I do get in a hurry!!

We've got a very steep driveway and when I was in the wheelchair, I would get to the top, put my brakes ON, then very slowly guide myself down to the pavement. One day, I forgot to put the brakes on and headed down the drive at brake neck speed...... I reached the pavement,,,,,didn't stop,,,,,headed out across the road,,,,didn't stop,,,,,,hit the curb on the other side,,,, the wheelchair stopped but I didn't, it threw me into the hedge!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I drew quite a crowd and the neighbours thought it was ace! :lol:

We've got a very steep driveway and when I was in the wheelchair, I would get to the top, put my brakes ON, then very slowly guide myself down to the pavement. One day, I forgot to put the brakes on and headed down the drive at brake neck speed...... I reached the pavement,,,,,didn't stop,,,,,headed out across the road,,,,didn't stop,,,,,,hit the curb on the other side,,,, the wheelchair stopped but I didn't, it threw me into the hedge!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I drew quite a crowd and the neighbours thought it was ace! :lol:

Oh my! :rolleyes: Thank goodness for the soft landing!

the wheelchair stopped but I didn't, it threw me into the hedge!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I drew quite a crowd and the neighbours thought it was ace! :lol:

And here are the results:

Artistic impression .. 9.5

Style .. 9.0

Content .. 8.5

Execution ..9.0

:lol: :lol: