Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
dak102054

Forgetting

How many have forgotten in the early stage of your amputation that you took off the protestic and went to get up and almost fell?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many have forgotten in the early stage of your amputation that you took off the protestic and went to get up and almost fell?

• Yes, I've had that moment before
    • No, I always look and keep my wits
    • Maybe, It depends on if you fall or not

:lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P

Knew YOU'D have something to add!! :P

the wheelchair stopped but I didn't, it threw me into the hedge!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I drew quite a crowd and the neighbours thought it was ace! :lol:

And here are the results:

Artistic impression .. 9.5

Style .. 9.0

Content .. 8.5

Execution ..9.0

:lol: :lol:

I think execution is a bit harsh.......just for falling over :blink:

definately on form today Cat!! :lol: :lol: :P

It's a tough school this one Cat, I cannot have them thinking they can get away with a shoddy performance. The threat of execution keeps em on their toes .... or not in this case :lol: :lol:

Hi

I won't get a limb fitted for a while due to severe skin grafts on the leg that will have a limb, so i'm in a wheelchair 24/7 but i constantly forget i no longer have a leg there. Luckily so far i haven't fell but i have stumbled many times and scared the living daylights out of myself (putting it mildly).

Hi

I won't get a limb fitted for a while due to severe skin grafts on the leg that will have a limb, so i'm in a wheelchair 24/7 but i constantly forget i no longer have a leg there. Luckily so far i haven't fell but i have stumbled many times and scared the living daylights out of myself (putting it mildly).

Just slow and easy. Think every move out. I have a tendancy to always be in a hurry. I have to keep my mind on what I'm doing at all times. It's been 18 years now, and I've pretty much accepted all of this as normal, (today's normal).

Guest bearlover

So far I have not done that. But once I tried to pull over the shower curtin with the absent foot! :lol: Thinking my foot was there and could pull it over. But It only lasted for a second. Haven't done that or anything like that since. I always know the crummy thing is gone. : :rolleyes:

My sister and her husband were over and we were sitting with drinks after a long day. I had taken off my leg and was in my chair. Someone knocked over a drink on the coffee table and I wanted to save a book there from getting wet. I stood up, grabbed the book, and then it seemed a slow motion reality took over. As I grabbed the book and looked up I could see the shock on everyone's faces, realized what I had done and then I started going over and down. I was laughing to bust and they were totally freaked. No harm to me and my coffee book was safe.

I often try to scratch my real foot with my not-there-foot when I'm lying in bed. Bloody irritating!

It has only happened to me once several years ago (and years after the amputation). I was sitting talking to my mother when my father got home and I immediately jumped up to go and open the door for him. Unfortunately we had been out shopping earlier that day and my leg was hurting so I had taken it off - needless to say I came crashing down on my stump. The pain in the stump and my knee were excruciating and it was some days before I could walk properly again - I have never done it since.

Sue

In what I hope is a GOOD case of "forgetting," I've started to forget my cane various places... get running around without it, then realize I don't have it with me and "freeze up!"

Now, if I could only get past that last bit............!

I still rouutinely try to kick things out of my way, rearrange the bedclothes, scratch my other foot, etc., with my stump on a regular basis, but I've so far never forgetten and tried to stand one-legged.

In what I hope is a GOOD case of "forgetting," I've started to forget my cane various places... get running around without it, then realize I don't have it with me and "freeze up!"

Now, if I could only get past that last bit............!

I still rouutinely try to kick things out of my way, rearrange the bedclothes, scratch my other foot, etc., with my stump on a regular basis, but I've so far never forgetten and tried to stand one-legged.

Before my amputation, when my leg was feeling good, I would forget my cane all over the place. Hope to be there one of these days again.........

(hope you get past the freezing up, Cheryl....)

One thing that I've done a few times is try to take my shoe off my left foot with my "phantom" leg....doesn't quite do it!

Susan

I was just sitting in my chair in the living room with my legs crossed on the ottoman. I have my cowboy boots on, which I only wear for dress anymore, since we are going out for the day.

I swear, that I looked at them, and for a split second, wasn't sure which one was the prosthetic one. I could "feel" my toes in both of them in the boots. Then, I felt something around my calf on my right leg, telling me that this was the one with the prosthesis.

This was just as real as the other one, and after 18 years. This still happens on occasion. Maybe it's what we call a "Senior Moment". You think?

Noooo way, Jim................ :)

15 years after being amputated I still forget some times. Usually at odd hours of the morning as I'm either going or getting out of bed. I haven't fallen but I have sat at the edge of my bed wondering why I'm not getting anywhere fast.

Being bilateral must automatically stop me from trying to stand. If I'm sat in a chair or on the side of my bed and reach to pick something of the floor without my legs on...gravity will always pull me head first onto the floor at an acceleration around 9.81 m/sec^2.

gravity will always pull me head first onto the floor at an acceleration around 9.81 m/sec^2.

Gravity sucks :blink:

gravity will always pull me head first onto the floor at an acceleration around 9.81 m/sec^2.

Gravity sucks :blink:

Cat, I am being NOISEY.. :blink: ...how do you keep your foot on, if you have all your leg? :unsure::unsure:

Gravity sucks :unsure:

Cat, I am being NOISEY.. :blink: ...how do you keep your foot on, if you have all your leg? :huh::unsure:

Noisey? :unsure: ........................ :lol: :lol: :lol:

My prosthesis goes up to my knee Ann it stays on when I push all the air out on my way into it......suction

Gravity sucks :unsure:

Cat, I am being NOISEY.. :huh: ...how do you keep your foot on, if you have all your leg? :unsure::unsure:

Noisey? :blink: ........................ :lol: :lol: :lol:

My prosthesis goes up to my knee Ann it stays on when I push all the air out on my way into it......suction

:huh: I don't know why I had the impression you still had an ankle...that's why I asked. :)

I had one of those forgetful moments the other day. I have a paper route and was getting ready to get into the back of the my van to load bundles. I always take my leg off so it is more comfortable to be on my knees. I took the leg off then started to take a step so I could lean it against the garage wall. DUH!!!!! I caught myself right away, but it's one of those stupid things we do. I'm so used to the leg always being there. Since I didn't fall it was funny.

Might have been funny if you had fallen too :lol:

As long as you didn't hurt yourself of course :ph34r: