Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mtman

Motorcycles

I know this was talked about somewhere in this forum but I can’t find it again. I’ve read so many lately that I don’t know where I’ve read what and what I’ve read where.

I want to ride a motorcycle again but if I lose my left foot I think shifting will be difficult. I thought I read here about an after market electronic shifter. Any one? Any one? Sorry. I just had a Ferris Buller moment.

mtman

Hi mtman-

If your trying to get MY attention, that's the topic title to use. :D :D I am a left AK and race motorcycles cross country (dirt). I use the Kliktronic system and , so far, have had very good luck with it. The shifting is super fast and I can honestly say it has worked out better than I expected. The contact's name for the US is Tim and he has two phone numbers. Summer-715-442-2069 and Winter-520-398-8023. I think there is a company named Pingle that markets a similar setup and their focus is on road and drag racing (Kliktronic focuses on the disabled). I think prices are about the same (@$800). I know that Awesome Blue has a similar setup on, I think, a Blackbird. He can probably hook you up with that company if you'd like to check it out.

If you have any other questions that I might be able to help with, please don't hesitate to ask! :D

Keep us posted :)

Any one? Any one? Sorry. I just had a Ferris Buller moment.

Sorry, I have absolutely nothing useful to say that will help, mtman, but I just had to tell you how funny I thought that comment was! :lol: :lol:

Can you tell I love Ferris Bueller? :blink:

Hey Shane, thanks for the info. I bookmarked their web page for future reference. I use to ride a lot years ago and have the bug real bad to get back on. I’ve read that Yamaha is going to have an electronic shift on their new FJR1300AE. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products...501/0/home.aspx

I always rode enduro type bikes. My brother wreaked his Suzuki Bergman last year and broke his back. Luckily not serious. It actually saved his life because in the medical process the doctors discovered he had cancer which was caught early. Nothing like a motorcycle accident saving your life. He bought a Triumph Tiger to replace the Bergman.

Thanks for the help.

Afet-I wore my VHS tape out of Ferris Buller. I need to by the DVD of it. It’s one of the few movies I’ve watched over and over. A classic that will never get old with age. Just like me.

Afet-I wore my VHS tape out of Ferris Buller. I need to by the DVD of it. It’s one of the few movies I’ve watched over and over. A classic that will never get old with age. Just like me.

MontanaMan,

Tell me about it .. that film inspired much (inventive) time off school for me, and brings back so many memories.

I agree.. it is a timeless classic :D

just to get some inspiration mtman.

www.koeltgen.de

they have an english page there.

ciao thomas

I know this was talked about somewhere in this forum but I can’t find it again. I’ve read so many lately that I don’t know where I’ve read what and what I’ve read where.

I want to ride a motorcycle again but if I lose my left foot I think shifting will be difficult. I thought I read here about an after market electronic shifter. Any one? Any one? Sorry. I just had a Ferris Buller moment.

mtman

Hi Mt,

It maybe my story you were referring to have a look here ProShift

Since I posted the article, I have ridden a further few hundred miles and I can say that the system is superb. I have the ignition interrupt fitted which allows me to make very fast smooth clutch less up shifts. Down shifting is done with clutch and blipping throttle but again so easy.

If you need further info just ask, always happy to talk bikes.

Ferris Bueller rocks! B) B) B)

That movie really made me want to see Chicago!

Roz. :)

Thanks for all the help on the motorcycle shifting. Great information.

Thohom- Guten Tag. Ich nine sprechen Sie Deutsch. I went to the German web site you gave me just to test my memory of my junior high German classes. I was able to read a little but I’m afraid my German stinks.

Thanks for your help.

Awesome blue- I think your post was the one I read referring to the shifting. Thanks.

mtman

Hey Thohom,

I was very happy with an English backup page. I must make a confession too. Though I remembered a little German, I had to look up how to spell the words right. My English spelling is bad enough without a spell checker. Just think what I would have done to German. I may have miss spelled so many words that I may have said something like, "I eat tires in the morning."

mtman

Hi mtman,

I also used to race motorcycles. You seem to have your Shifting questions answered.

I have just applied for a klictronic through an organisation called NABD in the UK.

It is a charity set up to help disabled bikers to get back on the road and they give grants for the

klictonic system. Don't think they operate over the water though.

What bike are you planning on riding??

John

Hoow dii I missiiignthiis ttopiic frromm beoffre ??????

Thhere arree severall thinggs you cannbeingn ddoiinng too convveertt youur mototorcycl;ee .

There isiis ssomeethiingnn callled a clicckk tronic sshiftter thatt iis annn elleectroniic thinggiie thatt iis useed msosttlyyy by peoplllee whjhoo ridfingnn golddwwinggs anndn trike cocnvverssioonn s. Iit is a reallyy good sssyystemm too .

Anothter systemm you cannusiinngis aan airr sshoffter buut youu wowulld neeeddiingntoo putttinn g a air tankk onnthtree bikke whichh is big annd uggleyy buut worrkks really realaly reallllyy gooodneslly

Annothter thtingiei you cannn ddoinngis a ahannd doppeprastted maanuall shsifttiinngn whiicxh iis easiierr than it ssousndds buuutu wowulldl beiiingn neeeddiingn to amkiing a ffew modds on thhee bikkekk too maiingn woirkkk . buut it mayy beiingnthhe best ttopttionnn beeaauuse theere wowuld beeiiign noo elelcttricla stuffs too breakiinngnn annd easieer tooo ttooo fixxiinngnlatter if you needed innn g.

Wow MJ, you sure know your motorcycles :)

ciao- Thanks for the link to the German to English conversion. That would be a good way to re-teach myself some of what I lost and possibly confuse many German speeking Americans as they ask themselves what the H*%% I just said.

John- What bike to buy? I yi yi! That’s like asking my wife what she is going to buy at the clothing store. Too many choices! Too much time! Where’s the sports store and food court because we will be here a while.

I love sport bikes but am not sure I want to confine myself to riding in the prone position. My bicycle is just the opposite since I ride a recumbent (Rans Rocket). I’ve always had a thing for the Suzuki Katana 750. I know it’s “old school” in the way of sport bikes and is not near up to par with bikes such as the Hybusa but I’m not a twenty something kid who is out to race and/or impress the females (my wife would not be impressed- her mother was a Hog biker so her vocabulary doesn’t go much further than Harley Davidson). I like the styling, I like the more upright handlebars and I like the price.

I’ve thought of a bike something in the line of a Triumph Tiger or Buell Ulysses but I’m only 67” and those bikes seem to top out at what seems like 90”. I couldn’t imagine trying to ride one on dirt with a prosthetic leg.

I also like the Triumph Sprints but then we have the lower handle bars. I like a lot of the BMW’s but the price is way out of what I can afford until I win the lottery that I don’t play.

My wife says it’s needs to fit two. I guess that doesn’t cut down my choices too much. So much for the choppers.

What do you like?

MJ- Thanks for the idea’s. I do like the idea of the Kliktronic. I’ve read that it’s a good, smooth shifter. I’ve never heard of the shifter that requires an air tank. I agree that it probably would not be the most ascetically pleasing type of system.

I’ve never heard of hand dopeprasted manual shifting. Sorry if I miss spelled it. Can you explain that one more. It sounds intriguing.

Thanks all for the help.

I couldn’t imagine trying to ride one on dirt with a prosthetic leg.

Me either. I ride/race without my prosthesis. If you'd like to see a pic, just click my name to go to my profile. I am still in the process of developing my technique, but getting better with every ride. I'll be racing in Hot Springs, Arkansas this sunday. :D :D :D

well...do you get the honda vfr in the us?

i think this is a bike for all cases.....ok, not for dirt B)

the sitting position is very comfortable...also for a tall person like me...the bike is not too slow.....i stopped, when i had 230 km/h and the visor of the helmet was on my nose.....and is a really good cruiser too.

if the sitting position is too much forward, you might chosse a superbike handlebar from lsl for example.

just my 10 cent.

here in germany honda offers a new "big one".....i would like it very much :)

The VFR is indeed a fine bike. The later ones with V TEC engine do have some issues with the way the V TEC works . Also servicing costs for the V TEC are quite expensive. Many people believe the older 750 models are still the better bike.

The Blackbird however is a supreme long distance mile muncher, more than adequate power even two up. I have fitted bar risers a double bubble screen and a gel pad seat, making it more tourer than sports. But it can still scratch with the best of them when I want it to. It handles far better than it has any right to, totally planted and sure footed. All day comfort at 150 MPH keeping about 30 MPH in reserve just in case any sports bikes want to play :lol:

In fact it's totally awesome ... oh and this one's blue :D

What do I like.???

Well the bike i got banged up on was a beautiful VFR800Fi. This is the model before the V-tec.

I've ridden all sorts of bikes and i must admit this one did everything i wanted easily and with comfort.

On this model the engine was redesigned to give torque lower down the rev scale,and the V 4 motors are ideal for touring. (sorry Mike) They have a lazy loping feel to the motor and don't seem to be "busy" at any revs.They just hummm, as opposed to scream like the inline four cylinder motors. This makes for a more relaxed feel and ride. I used to ride mine for hours without stopping and get off feeling OK. I had my seat lowered by 50mm because i am also a short inside leg. I put a flip up screen on and the whole package was superb. I would recommend that model to anyone.

Also servicing costs for the V TEC are quite expensive

The 800Fi model has one big service due at around 16k miles where the valve clearances are checked and adjusted. If buying one make sure that this has been done or you could be in for a big service bill. Of course if it hasn't been done you can bargain on the price. A lot of people use them up to around 15k miles and then sell. I did my own servicing so was not to bad for me, plus I then know its been done correctly

I believe on the V tec model to do this service the engine has to be dropped at the front -- that is why its expensive. this is not necessary on the 800Fi model.

They are more than quick enough, handle absolutely superb if you want to go scratching, the brakes have a sophisticated link system which i liked and thought was brilliant. All in all a top bike.

Well that is what i would ride. I thought it was totally awesome (to pinch a phrase) and mine was red. Sadly it's now been broken up completely -- the breakers have finished what I started just over a year ago. I won't be riding on the road anymore :( :( but will be riding in demonstration parades in the UK and Europe -- all being well and if everything goes to plan.

John

Hey Shane

Nice pic and may I say that you are a " hooligan" (an affectionate north Uk term for someone doing something out of the ordinary that they admire)

How do you get on the bike ?? What happens if you get stuck or loose your balance??

Who is around to help when you stop or do you hop with the bike to your pit??

Hey man--- I think that you're very brave, keep on developing your technique and keep on competing.

Best of luck

John

"Nice pic and may I say that you are a " hooligan" (an affectionate north Uk term for someone doing something out of the ordinary that they admire)"

--Thanks, I resemble that remark :lol:

"How do you get on the bike ?? "

--I now mount from the right side. It's a stretch, but I can reach the side stand with my left finger tips. Of course, when I go down it's usually on the left. So, stand the bike back up with one leg and balance/hop around rear fender to the other side or preferably, lean the bike against a tree (if available) and hop to the other side.

"What happens if you get stuck or loose your balance?? "

--I become a hooligan on the ground! :lol: I went down 12 times in my last race (2-2.5 hours), 11 of those were on the left. Very tight left turns are tough to make if I'm caught off guard. Some of the other crashes (believe it or not) are when I come up on a slower rider and am forced to "coast" through the corner instead of being on the gas. Front end wants to push out everytime!

"Who is around to help when you stop or do you hop with the bike to your pit??"

--I just ride back to the pits, stopping is no problem, as long as I remember "lean right!" Needless to say, there are always plenty of folks willing to help me. Right now, it is so tough that I can only describe my races as "epic." Toughest thing I've ever put myself through. Why do I keep going back? ;)

I did't mean to highjack the post - just thought some of the you might have wondered. :)

Shane- I must say, I admire your determination. I saw your photo last night and got to wondering as I tried to get to sleep how you rode without hurting your ...a...bum or ...a...naughty bits (too much Monty Python).

Thohom- I do like the VFR. For some reason I’ve always been attracted to Suzuki. I think it’s because one of my older brothers has always rode Suzuki. I’ve owned a Suzuki and a Yamaha. I don’t remember to models-it was twenty some years ago. The were both enduro type bikes though.

mtman

ok....you prefer suzuki...i always owned a honda :)

in germany they say: auch andere mütter haben schöne töchter.....means something, that also other mothers have beautiful daughters. :lol:

sidestand....yes, that would be also a problem for me, but when i was 2 years ago at the big trade fair at duesseldorf, i visited koeltgen there. he has fund a solution in connection with the powershift by airpressure. they also "shoot" the sidestand out via airpressure. you just have to push a button at the handlebar and everything is ok.

has everybody decided to drive one of these big scooters? they don´t need much modification, because the have an automatic. my driving license matches exactly for them.

Hi chaps and chapesses,

my name's Hazel and this is my first post. :D

Gotta tell ya, I too love Hondas, although I've just had a Yamaha FZX 750 made into a trike. It's got clicktronic gears as i'm a lbk, it's a fab system and the fact that i've now got 3 wheels means I don't have the lack of left stabilizer!! :wub: