Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mmarie

Wannabes

For anyone whose interested, and for those of us who get it, Prime Time is doing a segment tonight on people who WANT to be an amputee. It's on at 9:00 pm CDT on ABC.

Hi,

I just happened to turn it on...OMG....I understand that this is a mental illness, & I have empathy for them, but.....again OMG! They showed this guy who filled a trash can with dry ice & immersed his legs in it for 6 hrs. He had already set his car up with hand controls so he would be able to drive himself to a hospital where he knew that the damage he had induced would end him up with bilateral amputations. Kind of stupid to actually explain how to do this to yourself. I mean what if you were a wannabe? All you had to do was watch the episode to find out how you could do this to yourself. I hope it ends with ways for them to get help. It did prompt me to wonder...if anyone here is here because of this unusual condition. I am not judging. Really wouldn't want to, nor would I care to understand it. Just normal curiosity. We've tapped into devotees & there may be a connection, but I can't comprehend this. Then again, there are alot of things in this world that sometimes I can't wrap my mind around. Again, strange condition & yes, I have empathy for them, but it was hard to watch.

Linda

Watched the show and found myself yelling at the screen! It is hard to watch as an amputee who certainly would not CHOOSE this!

However, the program didn't touch on something I've heard: Some wannabes are influenced in childhood by another amputee. They didn't address this. They did, however, say that the phenomenon does start in childhood.

Whew, quite a bit try and to understand. :wub:

I have rec'd a couple of emails from them insisting I understand-please-give me a break. Dry ice seems to be the go with all of them

I didn't see it, but I've seen other tv programmes about wanabees before and I don't understand why someone would do that to a healthy well-functioning limb. I don't understand why...and I don't want to!

Lizzie :)

Lizzie, I agree... I like to think I can empathize with people and their woes (and I really can!), but this one... Ah, too hard to handle.

seems like the ultimate 'self harm' doesn't it? I think the doctor should issue them with a wheelchair for a couple of months, that should put a few off the idea! <_<

It's sad --sad ---sad.

God --- what a mental state they must be in to want to self harm to that extent.

I pity --and feel sorry for them.

Once they get the limb removed ----- what then??????

Is that the end of it for them or do they go on to other bodily parts.

John

Thanks, Marcia, for letting us know about this program. I probably would have missed it otherwise.

I didn't really feel anger watching this, just disbelief. It's very difficult to comprehend, when we would all do anything to have our limb(s) back, and these people have all limbs intact, and aren't happy!! BUT, once they explained it was similar to a mental illness, then I understood that it was out of their control---as far as their feelings are concerned.

John, to answer your question, there was a man who after removing both legs, was starting to obsess about having one of his hands amputated. He then sought professional help and was put on an anti-depressant, and the urge to have his hand amputated went away, and he was also then having regrets of doing what he did to have his legs amputated. So, in my opinion, there is some MAJOR miswiring of the brain. By God, you would hope they would ALL try an anti-depressant before having any unecessary amputations!!

I just found it to be very sad.

While we're at it we could give them some socket brims to wear while using the toilet, hire somebody to kick their knee out from under them every once in a while, send them across an icy parking lot with crutches and a few bags of food, issue them a little kid complete with a hammer, lighter, and needles to help them get ready for phantom pains, feed them hospital food for a while, suspend them from work, take away all their money, and make them fill out a lot of useless paperwork :)

... or, better yet, have them actually lose their job! (yeah, that one stinks!) :rolleyes:

Tragic...

The condition is called apotemnophilia - predictably, there is lots about it on the internet, some of it informative, some of it garbage - also predictably!

I studied psychology, and was astounded at the scope of behavioural dysfunctions that can arise in the mind, and this is just one of a great many.

I overcame my perception of the "weirdness" of abnormal psychological conditions and achieved some objectivity about them by coming to the realisation that the irrationality of the behaviour should not be used to judge the morality of the person; abnormal psychological conditions are an involuntary outcome of a pathology somewhere in the brain, and sufferers genuinely need help - condemnation will never achieve this, because it won't reach the problem, and it's tragic that the media are all too ready to sensationalise such conditions without explaining the real root causes.

People who want healthy limbs amputated are not "mad", or deluded, or idiots, but they do have an involuntary psychological pathology (apotemnophilia), and, as Cheri mentioned, there are now drugs that can target the source of the problem and relieve the abnormal drive.

Let's hope that there's vigorous ongoing research into this particular condition, that it's fruitful, and that many healthy limbs (and livelihoods) can be saved!

Roz. :)

I found it mystifying. How about the woman who put her legs in dry ice but the pain was so bad she couldn't leave them in there long enough for them to die and now she's just crippled and in a wheelchair. I can't believe the dr who actually amputates healthy limbs for people with this "condition".

I agree with Marcus. Obviously they have no idea what comes after amputation.

Ok...One more ?

Is the sausage Kosher? ;)

:o

Linda, be a good girl and put the Prosthetist down please!!! :lol: :P :lol:

;)

Linda, be a good girl and put the Prosthetist down please!!!

You know what they say...whatever goes up. :) ..eventually comes down. :(

When I first became an amputee, I did some searching around on the net and found something on this subject and it just about blew me away. :rolleyes: Sorry I missed the show, it must have been terribly sad, knowing these ppl have such little meaning in their lives, that one would ever have such a thought enter their mind. Most definitely, I'd say there's a far bigger problem that exist than any of us could imagine. Perhaps one day they'll have the answers to this and many other mental disorders fine tuned, so that there'll be no other person to go through what we all ready know, that it's not just about going through the surgery, but that it comes with many other issues as well. Something they or no one can experience unless one has been there themself.

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

OOPS!!! I just noticed that I don't have to put my location on the post, b/c it's already up there!! DUH!! :lol: It may be a little bit, but I'll find my way around eventually! :rolleyes: ;)

Sheila

So much flirting... :lol: :lol:

I was going to say that i wish i had seen it but after reading your messages, i am not sure. I also think that people who wish to do this to themselves need help.

Yvonne

:rolleyes:

So much flirting... :lol: :lol:

Indeed .... I dont know what this place is coming to. Whatever next !!! :rolleyes: