Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
paul@plan-a

Building in stone

This spring my wife Silke and I have decided not to holiday, but I still need a break. We have bought ourselves a hot tub which arrives on Tuesday, that will help me to relax but I need a project!

Racking my brain on how I can achieve relaxation with feelings of satisfaction I have come up with building a wall.

Not just any old wall a limestone wall! I have bought myself a wallers hammer, a wall builders manual Charles McRaven’s bible ‘Building with Stone’.

All I needed was the material, I found a guy selling limestone on ebay, he comes from Derbyshire which is 200 miles from me, but he will deliver in 3 loads and barrow the stone to my back garden.

My wife thinks I nuts, so do my work colleagues but I need to create.

The retaining wall in my garden is nearly finished so time for a new one.

Here is a useful site for anyone interested:

http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handbooks/content/chapter/203

I attach a picture of the existing wall and will up date as I get building!

Anyone fancy working a cement mixer? Payment in beer.

PJ :lol:

Anyone fancy working a cement mixer?

What do you need mortar for, Paul? I thought you were building a dry stone wall? :unsure:

Lizzie :)

Hi Paul,

I'm in the middle of a three year landscaping my back garden, project. Last year I built a decking patio, 3m sq. After finishing it, I was sitting in a garden chair watching the sun go down, with a 'blond in a black dress'.

All very nice, but my mind was wandering as usual!

So I decided to build a raised flower bed in 'line of sight' from where I was sitting.This half way down the garden and to the left. I wanted it in a half cicle, but didn't think using bricks was the best way to do it.

Where I live in Cornwall, there are a lot of dry stone walls, so I thought I'd have a go at trying that.

Slate or cobble stones are the best, but very expensive. So I went round different builders merchants, DIY places etc. I settled on using crazy paving, multi colored. When I asked in one builders merchant about buying crazy paving, the guy said they don't sell it. He then took me round the yard to a skip that was full of broken colored paving slabs. He said take as much as you like, for free, there were going to be thrown away.

So my wife and I did, took enough for the wall, 8ft x18" x 12". We built the wall, and inserted 'rockery' plants in the gaps on the sides. Capped of with halfpenny and farthing round stepping stones.

That was a year ago, and the wall is still up and the plants still growing.

I really did enjoy building that. Even more so looking at it and all the flowers of a summers evening, with of course a few '' blondes :)

As.........

Steve

Anyone fancy working a cement mixer?

What do you need mortar for, Paul? I thought you were building a dry stone wall? :unsure:

Ah there you go, there are different types of walls for different projects Lizzie. You need motar for dams, bridges and retaining walls. My wall retains soil as I live half way up a hill, so I need it to be water proof, it will have weep holes to allow water through but controlled. :blink:

I know my stuff ;) I've spent the last mouth researching the subject, perhaps I am nuts :D

1 part lime - 2 parts cement - 3 parts sand

I'll give you all a laugh as this project gets underway!

PJ :D

Hi Paul,

I'm in the middle of a three year landscaping my back garden, project. Last year I built a decking patio, 3m sq. After finishing it, I was sitting in a garden chair watching the sun go down, with a 'blond in a black dress'.

All very nice, but my mind was wandering as usual!

So I decided to build a raised flower bed in 'line of sight' from where I was sitting.This half way down the garden and to the left. I wanted it in a half cicle, but didn't think using bricks was the best way to do it.

Where I live in Cornwall, there are a lot of dry stone walls, so I thought I'd have a go at trying that.

Slate or cobble stones are the best, but very expensive. So I went round different builders merchants, DIY places etc. I settled on using crazy paving, multi colored. When I asked in one builders merchant about buying crazy paving, the guy said they don't sell it. He then took me round the yard to a skip that was full of broken colored paving slabs. He said take as much as you like, for free, there were going to be thrown away.

So my wife and I did, took enough for the wall, 8ft x18" x 12". We built the wall, and inserted 'rockery' plants in the gaps on the sides. Capped of with halfpenny and farthing round stepping stones.

That was a year ago, and the wall is still up and the plants still growing.

I really did enjoy building that. Even more so looking at it and all the flowers of a summers evening, with of course a few '' blondes :)

As.........

Steve

So it's not just me who needs to build a wall! Good on you Steve, I miss having blisters on my hands and cuts and bruises. I quite partial to blondes too :D

Good job the wife is blonde from time to time

PJ ;)

My wall retains soil as I live half way up a hill, so I need it to be water proof, it will have weep holes to allow water through but controlled. :unsure: I know my stuff ;) I've spent the last mouth researching the subject, perhaps I am nuts :D...

Thanks for clearing that up, Paul. I've done a bit of walling, in my time, and so I did wonder. ;)

Looking forward to the piccies! :D

Hi Paul,

just thought I would mention, there is a down side to building a wall :(

Once you have built it, what are you going to do next? :unsure:

I am at present building the foundations for a 8ft x 6ft workshop/shed. Although it is in kit form, I still have to erect it and fit it out with the bench's/shelves etc.

Now always one with a plan 'B', when it is finished and after the summer (playtime) I will start on my next project!

Which is building an 8ft x 4ft to scale, early 1950's train set layout :) Before anyone says anything, it will be portable, 2ft x 4ft sections.

So, Paul whilst you are toiling away, you will have plenty of time for a plan 'B' :lol:

As........

Steve

Ah Darn! You guys are giving me spring fever! I'm not so great at building walls, but have helped hubby put in a patio off our side door and a covered front porch! I think (for this year, at least!) I'll content myself with making my flowerbeds look grand!

Paul, keep us posted via pictures! I ALWAYS take before and after pictures of my projects! :D

Umm, Dude. I think you have bigger problems. I took a closer look at you picture and it seems a land shark is about to snack on your clothes line.

mtman

The last time I built a wall, was a retaining wall up my driveway, 33 feet. With my circulation, I couldn't keep up with the delivery truck, so I mixed and poured it one sack at a time out of concrete mix and a wheelbarrow, at my own pace. 66 sacks, and by the end of the day, I had the biggest blister under my knee on my stump, from my prosthesis, and was on crutches for 10 days.

This was in '99 and I just take it one sack at a time anymore - IF at all.

Slate or cobble stones are the best, but very expensive.

Surprised you didn't just drive around the moor and pinch the top layer off the farmer's walls :P :D :D

Hi all

Limestone arrived today! :) Cant attach a photo :( Don't know what I'm doing wrong? Hot tub has been installed, wall building will commence within the next month! ;)

Love n light

PJ

Hi Folks, you asked for photo's so here they are.

1st load of 4 million year old limestone, I even found a few fossels sorting through it!

Job still going on the cement mixer!! :)

PJ

Hi all

Hot tub in place, as you can see. What a nightmare that was getting installed! :rolleyes: Had to take down my coal bunker. Still the garden project is well under way. Two weeks in may for the wall building, Big Steve my limestoneman is delivering again today! Watch this space!!

PJ ;)

Here's the lastest applicant for the labours job on the garden project, he has brought his own tools! :) Which is a positive!

Hey Paul,

Good luck with the wall building project. I'm sure it will WOW the neighbours.

By the way, that's one gorgeous labourer you have there! :rolleyes:

Now that is neat. It looks like you are coming right along with you project.

It also looks like you have some good help. I wasn't necessarily being facitious. I have had hired help that I fired because it took me longer to do the job WITH their help than it did without it.

The wall I understand. What I don't know how to do though, is how to get pictures on here in a "thumbnail", to be enlarged.

I am building a web site with Microsoft Front Page, and I can do it there, but how does it work on a regular photo program to put on a site such as this?

I have microsoft Digital Image Pro 7.0 and Microsoft Picture it 9.0 and Infraview. Oh yes, also Kodak Easy Share. Is there a way through them to do this?

Yes, I am still learning - but, you couldn't tell that , huh?

Umm, Dude. I think you have bigger problems. I took a closer look at you picture and it seems a land shark is about to snack on your clothes line.

mtman

That's the land shark that Paul allows to snack on his new puppy :rolleyes: He posted a pic earlier in the year. Shocking - that's what I say!

:P

Tubs up and functioning, hick up with lastest limestone delivery, my man 'big Steve' from Derbyshire could'nt get the stone out of the field yesterday due to the weather.

I will plan my time off to start the project and will let you all know when I commence

my man 'big Steve' from Derbyshire could'nt get the stone out of the field yesterday due to the weather.

AH, the good ol' Derbyshire weather, don'cha just love it?

my man 'big Steve' from Derbyshire could'nt get the stone out of the field yesterday due to the weather.

AH, the good ol' Derbyshire weather, don'cha just love it?

Come on, Hazel! If 'big Steve' comes from Derbyshire, he should be used to the weather by now...and he should be out there, digging up that stone! ;)

2nd stone delivery has arrived, I now have all my materials, have booked 15th - 30th May off for the project, off to Wales tomorrow to see Southend United!

More news on the wall as it happens

PJ :)

2nd stone delivery has arrived, I now have all my materials, have booked 15th - 30th May off for the project, off to Wales tomorrow to see Southend United!

Hi Paul,

just wondering, did Southend United move from Roots Hall? When I lived on Canvey( about 9 years ago) they were talking about selling the ground off and building a new stadium, somewhere else; Eastwood I think?

Enjoy the trip, have fun.

As.......

Steve

Hi Paul,

just wondering, did Southend United move from Roots Hall? When I lived on Canvey( about 9 years ago) they were talking about selling the ground off and building a new stadium, somewhere else; Eastwood I think?

As.......

Steve

Hi Steve

No, there still there all though they have just achieved promotion to the championship. They hope to move to Fossets Farm near to Thorpe Bay within two years!?

See me celebrating our promotion in Swansea attached

PJ ;)

Hi Paul,

As.......

Steve

Hey Steve,

I used to live on Canvey about 9 years ago. I was over by the Admiral Jellico pub. Small world indeed.