Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Awesome Blue

Cutting down pin system liners

A below knee liner question.

At a recent visit to my limb centre, the conversation centred around whether one should / could shorten a pin system liner.

It would seem the response from those involved was split 80 - 20. 80% leaving the liner exactly the length provided as new. 20% cutting them down to a shorter length, as long as they maintained grip to the residual limb.

One of the guys an amp of some years, actually cuts his liner to the contour of the socket leaving about 20 mm (3/4 inch) excess above the rim of the socket. He maintains this gives adequate security whilst providing much more freedom and far less irritation from liner burn and those annoying blistery type irritations.

I am interested to seek the opinion of others as to whether there is indeed an advantage in doing this.

just an info from an ak.....we canĀ“t have much more lengh higher as the socket...so my liner is nearly cut with the contours of the socket.

hi Mike,

I've just received my new pin system liner through the post and have already cut about 5 inches off it, there's no way you can comfortably wear them all the way up your thigh, + I'm pretty sure I'll be trimming it further once i've been cast and got a socket to measure it up to.

I've spent the last year sodding around with one suspension sleeve after another and can't wait to have some air to my thigh again.

Plus,, you get a naff tan stripe round your leg!! :P

Hi Mike,

Mine are always cut down. They get cut at the limb centre in a wavy pattern. Don't know why it is wavy, but they have always felt secure. Mine goes to just above my knee, about 2 inches, as Marcus says, from the top of the socket.

x x x

Yep Marcus, I'm still on my first liner and when my leggist brought it to me, before he even put it on, he picked up sissors and chopped the top off. Then we roll it up and he created a nice fold at the top -- which I duplicate each time. Don't know why... just do what I'm shown.

Mike,

Just to add my 2 cents worth, I've also had my liners cut down each time. The only down side for me is that my scissors are never sharp enough so they don't look real pretty once I get done. I don't care as long as everything works right!

Carol

Usually cut down to about 4 fingers width above the top of the socket wich takes the top of the liner a few centimetres above my knee cap. The exception to this is the one I'm using in my swim leg. My prosthetist thought it would let less water in if he left it longer (although I didn't have any trouble with the last one which managed over 5 hours submersion at a poolside swim up bar :D)

I cut mine down too. The Limb Centre used to cut them down for me - in a wavy pattern, and now I cut them myself.

Sue :rolleyes:

Hi Mike,

With or without you having them cut down is a personal decision :)

However, I think you'll find that more than 80% of people DO cut them down. I only ever see shorter liners at my limb centre. And mine are always cut down too.

I actually can't wait to have mine cut down when I'm given new liners .. I just can't handle all that extra material. Makes the donning process much more difficult.

Mine end up being a few inches longer than the rim of the socket.

Go on .. be brave .. have yours cut down too! :lol:

Sorry Mike. I can't be of any help on this one. I don't wear the liner. My wool sock goes above the socket 2-3-4 inches,(depending on whether it shrunk any - new or old), and hangs loose, or rolls down over the top.

Where your leg is held on with a pin and the gel liner holding onto your thigh, mine is held on just by a wedge that presses behind the knee as I put my stump socket liner into my prosthesis.

Things have to be kept simple for me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Mike,

Recently had mine cut down but still a straight cut about 25mm above

the highest point on my socket. This still annoys me and I will be

taking it down further to about 25mm above the full contour of the socket.

This should stop the constriction at the back of my knee.

One thing to remember if you follow your socket contour is that the liner

will only fit radially in one position and may take longer to don.

John

the liner are cut in a wavy patter, because this shall help, that the liner matrix does not rip out. makes the cut more elastic...thats all.

i take for this normal scissors...i only have to make some minor adjustments at all.

I've cut mine to about 3 inches above the knee. It still feels very secure and lets some air to the thigh. More comfy.

I've always left my liner fairly long as it has felt more secure.

I don't have the pin locking system though, mine works purely on suction.

I do suffer from heat in the summer so I might try cutting an old liner right down and giving that a go before deciding whether to wreck my current one.

Hi Rob,

I do cut my liners down for one basic reason, I'm not the tallest person in the world and my liners tend to be too long.....

You stated what I would of suggested.. Take your oldest liner to cut down and if it were me, I would work in increments cutting it down. That way, as you go you will find out if it is comfortable for you or not. My liners are about 4 inches above the top of the socket. However, I am fairly active and always climbing on to a tractor or gate here on the farm. I find, if I get them too short and that they will tend to slip a little flexing to climb. At least this way, you will find out what is fairly comfortable to you. Also, it is definitely going to feel a little different at first. It seems like they always do, for some reason unbeknownst to me...

I was told that the wavey cut is so they don't stretch and tear at the top. However, I have cut all of my liners down with a very sharp pair of scissors that I have, and I have never had a problem with that happening..

Higgy

my liners are cut 6 inches above the kneecap. when i sit down it becomes very painful. At first i thought the back of my prosthesis was cutting into the back of me knee everytime i bent, but it seems as if the liner itself is pulling my skin apart. Its becoming quite a hassle. It looks and feels like someone is taking a pair of scissors and cutting my leg right behind the knee everytime i take a step of go threw the bending motion. Sitting down for long periods of times, like watching a movie or being in a car or something, hurts a lot. And if i do a lot of activity in one day, when i take my liner off i have little cuts around the knee. It looks as if one were to take a razor and make clean cuts on my leg.

does anyone else have this problem? i'm tempted to cut the liner down more, but im not sure if theres a limit to how far down i should go.

if anyone has any good solutions, please post or email me.

As a test patient I get my liners directly from Ohio Willow Wood. It is their recommendation to leave them long. That means I have 10 inches above the socket. I was used to a shorter cut, and it did feel a little strange at first. I am used to it now. I suppose they know what they're talking about.

rayb

my liners are cut 6 inches above the kneecap. when i sit down it becomes very painful. At first i thought the back of my prosthesis was cutting into the back of me knee everytime i bent, but it seems as if the liner itself is pulling my skin apart. Its becoming quite a hassle. It looks and feels like someone is taking a pair of scissors and cutting my leg right behind the knee everytime i take a step of go threw the bending motion. Sitting down for long periods of times, like watching a movie or being in a car or something, hurts a lot. And if i do a lot of activity in one day, when i take my liner off i have little cuts around the knee. It looks as if one were to take a razor and make clean cuts on my leg.

does anyone else have this problem? i'm tempted to cut the liner down more, but im not sure if theres a limit to how far down i should go.

if anyone has any good solutions, please post or email me.

How long have you been in this socket?

When mine are feeling like yours do, I'm usually too loose in it and when I'm sitting it is usually trying to pull it's self off somewhat...When that goes to happening, it usually feels like someone is trying to skin me, or that it is on fire, right in the bend of the back of the knee. You might try putting some Aloe, or A&D ointment, or even a moisturing lotion for prosthetics, from your CP behind your knee cap to see how it works... For me, adding more sock usually helps, if not, for me, it's generally time to have a socket padded or a new one made..

Hope this helps a little....

How long have you been an amputee?

Higgy

I have the exact same problem with the back of my knee. It is really frustrating and doesn't feel good at all! Up to this point I have had to cut my liner down past the bend of my knee in the back. So the back of my liner is cut lower than the front, the same as my prosthesis. That helps a lot. I also have put some lotion on the spot that hurts. I've tried going to larger and smaller liners and that hasn't made a difference.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now when I go to a suspension system, but those liners feel completely different than the pin systems.

Carol

I have the exact same problem with the back of my knee. It is really frustrating and doesn't feel good at all! Up to this point I have had to cut my liner down past the bend of my knee in the back. So the back of my liner is cut lower than the front, the same as my prosthesis. That helps a lot. I also have put some lotion on the spot that hurts. I've tried going to larger and smaller liners and that hasn't made a difference.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now when I go to a suspension system, but those liners feel completely different than the pin systems.

Carol

It's amazing what a little slip can do. I have a moisturizer that has silicone in it that came from my CP which works really well.. so does the A&D ointment, (not the creamy kind, the original with petroleum jelly in it..). I got to trying it one morning when I was using it for the irriation that comes at the top of the liners when they are new.. Wondered what it would do one morning, and thought, what the h**l, anything to keep it from feeling like someone was trying to pull my hide off back there...I had really noticed that when I am loose in the socket, this happens. Then, when I would reapply and tighten things up, it would quit...At work, I kept a small trial size sample of aloe vera gel in my desk to use if that happened..

Hope it helps..

Tammie

How long have you been an amputee?

Higgy

i was born missing my left leg below the knee, I turn 22 may 21

Just as a follow up to my original post.

I have cut one of my liners down to about 4 inches (100mm) above the knee. This has re introduced the burning blistering sensation at the new cut down end of the liner, (the kind you get with a new liner) so it would seem obvious that by cutting it, it's just moved it from one location to another

However, it is subsiding now, but it just seems like a waste of time cutting the liner down, as IMHO there is no noticeable advantage in freedom of movement and / or comfort.

Guest bearlover

I wear the pin system, I cut the liner down. It comes up to my leg and over the knee. I don't like them real long. Also, dose anyone else experience a burning sensation when you wear you liner with ypur leg? I do a lot. I use a clear lotin that my prosthetist gives me by ALPS. It workes. But what causes that? It is usually at my knee. Or behind my knee. Thanks :)