Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Jim T.

Cowboy (or any other ) boots

I have worn cowboy boots most all my life. I noted once that I hadn't tied a shoe lace in over 30 some years. When I lost my leg, this became another question, because they wouldn't go on around the ankle area. (I have a straight connection without any mechanical ankle>)

I solved this by having a zipper put up the inside of the boot, from near the sole to the top. I also had my prosthetist grind down the edge of the heel on the foot. At first he was reluctant to do this because he was concerned about the warranty. I agreed, but still asked to have it done. This was over 16 years ago, and I have been having all of the edge of the heel of my feet rounded off.

I only wear my boots for dress anymore, (because of the weight), but the rounded heel sure makes it easier to put my daily shoes, (Rockport), on and off each night and morning. (Especially, the "on" part)

Surprisingly, I have many customers tell me that they cannot take their shoes off to shower with their leg on.

Wilth the heel rounded, my shoe comes off or on the prosthetic foot as easy as it does my original.

I am not reccomending this, because to each their own. I am just relating how I solved a very simple problem, and have never regretted it. It has not compromised my foot, in any way. Actually, it has the side benefit or eliminating the "slap" that I used to have when I walked.

Again, I am not reccomending this - just sharing my experience. It works for me.

Hi jim,

So far I've not had many problems getting shoes on and off, I have a large collection of shoes and boots.

The problems I do get usually arise from the rubber of the foot giving too much friction and preventing me from pushing it all the way into the shoe. I get round this ( especially with long boots) by putting a non rustling type of plastic bag over the foot first, Sandwich bags work well. ;)

Can't entertain the thought of having to keep the same shoes on all the time!!! :o

Jim,

How timely this post is

You are aware I recently started riding the bike again. One of the things I really need is a new pair of motorcycle boots. So off I go to the local motorbike clothing store. Bike boots are usually made quite from quite thick leather with re reinforcing panels on shins and ankles, zipped up the side but with a waterproofing membrane folded across the inside of the zip, which limits the benefit of having the zip there in terms of additional width of opening.

Consequently when new, they are quite unyielding. As I prefer a long boot that comes all the way up to just below the knee they can prove difficult to get on and off at the best of time.

So not wishing to discuss with the assistant my situation of not being able to point my toes downward, I ask to try on a pair of waterproof boots.

Big mistake. Needless to say the right boot goes on just fine, the left (amp) one however, is a different matter. I'm now struggling to get this on pushing, pulling, heaving, cursing and swearing. After much stamping and jumping up and down I'm finally into the boot. The assistant who has witnessed this performance must have been wondering what the hell was going on, how could anybody have so much difficulty in putting a boot on, oh dear how little does she know.

It was at this point the horrible realisation dawned on me .. I had to get this damned thing off. My foot won't bend, the boot certainly won't bend and I'm stuck, I cannot produce enough leverage to force it off.

Errrmm excuse me, (to the lady assistant) I wonder if you might just help me to get this boot off please. I have no movement in my ankle and therefore it's just a little difficult for me. Of course she replied, expecting one gentle tug and the thing to come flying off.

Wrong .. I'm sat down leg outstretched, she is holding the boot in both hands and pulling for all she is worth, I mean she is red in the face and it's not budged one inch. Defeated, she calls over her male colleague and explains the situation. I hurriedly add my 'cannot bend my ankle' comment feeling the need to justify my predicament a little more succinctly.

He, being a young and well built chap takes up the challenge with a certain determination (more to impress his female colleague I think) Holding the toe and heel of the offending boot, he proceeds to pull for all he is worth. Such is the force I'm now holding my prot leg pulling for all I'm worth in the opposite direction else it flies off, sending him, leg and boot backward head over heels.

Seeing him have little success, the young lady has rejoined the proceedings now adding her weight to this farce. I am now almost horizontal and still hanging on for dear life to my leg. I swear we had attracted an audience of all the other people in the store. S l o w l y - painfully slowly .... it starts to move. Fraction by fraction it is easing off. Much more pulling and tugging and eventually after what seemed like forever the offending boot is is finally released.

I fortunately did not lose my leg in the proceedings, my dignity in tact, I left the shop as hurriedly as I could, telling the now purple faced assistant(s) "nice boots ... I'll think about it"

I'm still looking for a pair. For some reason I just cannot bring myself to go into another shop and try any on :lol: :lol:

That must have been an hilarious sight. I'm sorry Mike, but I couldn't help laughing out loud as I read it.

You might try a size larger boot. It would give you more room. You could also buy a foot on ebay that is smaller than the one you would wear for daily use.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hi mike just fell off this chair laughing so much,in fact iv got to go my ribs are starting to ache.............good luck.............mick

Hi Mike

Have you tried using a thin plastic bag (the sort you can get from any supermarket)? I'm not joking, by the way. I know farmers use them to put their wellies on over their prostheses...would a plastic bag help with your boots? :wub:

Lizzie :)

That must have been an hilarious sight. I'm sorry Mike, but I couldn't help laughing out loud as I read it.

My words exactly our friend. :D :rolleyes::blink: :D

Another thought. I always take my leg off, to put my shoe on, or take it off. If I am out in a shoe store, I pick a seat away from the public if possible and let the attendent know what I am doing. This is not out of embarrasement, but for consideration of others. Some people get really disturbed seeing things like missing legs and such

My brother was one. He had a Phd in History, a Masters in Politcal Science, was once on the state department as a junior ambassador to Turkey, and then came back and got his law degree at 50. (He also was a pompus ass). However, he could not stand for me to have my leg off around him. He just couldn't handle it. I went to take it off once to show him something, and he left the room.

So, out of courtesy, WHEN I CAN, I try to show respect to others in case there are some who feel like him and just can't take it.

Mike-

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!! :lol: :lol: Good luck with the search.

Jim-

Cowboy boots on a AK :rolleyes: Way too scary for me! :lol:

Good luck to all you boot shoppers out there ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: that is one of the funniest things I have heard in along while. I think you must have a very good sense of humor.

Bet you didn't do that again !!!!!!!

:unsure::unsure::rolleyes::blink:

Bet that crowd couldn't believe what they were seeing.

fanBLOOMINtastic :P :D :lol: :lol: :P

Excellent story Mike,

If that had been me I would probably would have said to the sales assistant "yep, they fit perfectly and I think I'll wear them home please."

:D

That was so funny Mike. Before you go next time can you let me know?

I'll sell tickets. :lol: :lol:

By the way a knee high stocking inside a boot makes it VERY easy to get on and off

Cat

By the way a knee high stocking inside a boot makes it VERY easy to get on and off

Wow Cat, you are the perfect person to have around ... after an emergency!! :lol: :P

Brilliantly funny story Mike. Had me rolling around on the floor with laughter!! :lol: :lol:

Wow Cat, you are the perfect person to have around ... after an emergency!! :lol: :P

Brilliantly funny story Mike. Had me rolling around on the floor with laughter!! :lol: :lol:

Better late than never I guess.....it does work though. Buy the better quality ones and they wont ladder the minute you slide things over them. Especially the ones with reinforced heels.

Have you tried using a thin plastic bag (the sort you can get from any supermarket)?...farmers use them to put their wellies on over their prostheses

Buy the better quality ones and they wont ladder the minute you slide things over them. Especially the ones with reinforced heels.

So, Mike, to assist you in your next boot buying expedition, you can choose between a 'plackie bag' or a 'pop sock'...the choice is yours! :D

Have you tried using a thin plastic bag (the sort you can get from any supermarket)?...farmers use them to put their wellies on over their prostheses

Buy the better quality ones and they wont ladder the minute you slide things over them. Especially the ones with reinforced heels.

So, Mike, to assist you in your next boot buying expedition, you can choose between a 'plackie bag' or a 'pop sock'...the choice is yours! :D

Plastic bag or Stockings .. Plastic bag or Stockings ... Plastic bag or Stockings ...

Tough call, sounds like a baptism by fire to me ;)

Try fishnet stockings :)

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Let me get this right.

You want me to go trying on boots at the bike store, surrounded by an assortment of big rough hairy ar*ed bikers, Hells Angels, Tatted Masses and the Great Unwashed, whilst wearing fishnet stockings.

Marcus have I done something to upset you :(

:rolleyes: Let me get this right.

You want me to go trying on boots at the bike store, surrounded by an assortment of big rough hairy ar*ed bikers, Hells Angels, Tatted Masses and the Great Unwashed, whilst wearing fishnet stockings.

Marcus have I done something to upset you :(

Oh, take no notice of them, Mike! They obviously haven't tried to put footwear on a 'fishnet stocking-ed' prosthetic foot! <_<

I won't go into detail here, but, believe me they won't help you get your boots on! :(

Like I said before...it's plackie bags OR pop socks. ;)

Personally, I sprinkle some baby powder, (that I always put on my stump before I put on my sock), down in the boot. That, with the rounded heel, and zipper in the boot, let's the foot slip right in.

Mike, this reminds me of a take off on an old joke:

Mike dies and gets to heaven and St. Peter asks him if he ever did anything outstanding and brave on earth. Mike say's: "Sure, once I tried on a pair of boots wearing fish net stockings in front of a bunch of bikers and rough looking lads." St. Peter said: "Wow, that was brave - when did you do that?" Mike reply's: "About 2 minutes ago". :D

I thought that you and Marcus were friends. :rolleyes: :P :P

I won't go into detail here, but, believe me they won't help you get your boots on! :(

I think maybe you should. B)

Hey, Rob wasn't that my line? :D

PS I loved your joke, Jim!

:You know what is so great about all of this, is the ability we have to laugh at ourselves, and to enjoy others having a laugh with us.

That my friend is what really is important - people laughing WITH people. If there was more of that in this world, there would be a whole lot less of the fussing and fighting.