Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Nestudas

Hot Seat XIII

It's a wonderful story, Shane! :)

He is the most positive person I have ever met. Very early on he told me that if I ever wondered "Why me?", to think about it this way: "If it hadn't been you, then it may have been someone who couldn't handle it as well as you." His point struck home and that isn't a thought I ever consider.

When I was on the Hot Seat, one of your questions to me was ‘Describe the last thing that gave you "happy tears”'. My answer mentioned a friend who had recently written to me and told me how much he admired me. What I didn’t mention was that he was referring to the way I coped with ‘the hand that life had dealt me’. My friend found it difficult to express himself as English is his second language, however, he decided to use the following quote: "If He gave the cross... He gave the strength to bear it too…and sometimes the proper cross is a light in the life of people living the same experience…”

I’ve always shared those sentiments, but it’s one thing thinking it and a totally different thing reading or hearing it from someone else.

Lizzie :)

Hi Shane....

I was just in here trying to catch up on the board, what with it being the tail end of the tax filing deadline, I have been extremely busy at work...

It looks like everyone has pretty much asked anything I was thinking of asking so I'll just add this note..

It was pretty awesome reading about being reunited with your biological father.. it definitely gave you someone to ask all of the ten thousand questions that we will come up with when first becoming an amputee, especially when it is from trauma, there's no time to think about it...

The only thing that I could think of to ask was this.....

What was your first ride like once you got back on a bike?

Strange, I'm sure, as I know mine was, but feeling like a part of yourself was just given back.....

Have a great Easter.....

Higgy

I've been wanting to tell you guys about that since the beginning. But how do you bring it up? So, I finally decided I HAD to say something. There are alot of really "eerie" circumstances that surround my amputation. The most unbelievable one is that I had a premonition of it for between 15 and 20 years. Nothing spectacular, but I used to get this "fleeting glimpse", like when you think that you saw something out of the corner of your eye and you turn and nothing is there. Well, I used to think I saw something "different" looking about the way my pants would stretch over my knee. Weird thing is, I knew what I was seeing. I thought it looked like something artificial under there. I know that sounds koo-koo but I told my wife about it starting about 15 years ago. I even said directly to her, " I wonder if this means I am going to lose a leg or something." These little glimpses continued until about a year before I got hit. I didn't even notice when they stopped because it only happened a few times a year. But they did stop, and then I did lose a leg.

Another thing has to do with my racing. I've raced "Harescrambles" (over the hills and through the woods as fast as you can go for 2 hours+) for 8 years now. I was a very respected rider before I got hit, but I always moved up to the next faster class, sometimes prematurely. So, for 7 years there was one thing I never could actually accomplish. And that was to WIN a race. Lots of 2nd and 3rd but no wins. Well, just before I was hit, I won two. :blink:

I bought a new helmet about 45 minutes before I was hit. <_< When I got hit, my left leg was demolished and my pelvis was broken in 3 places.The new helmet, strapped on properly, came off. I cart-wheeled 91 feet down the highway and didn't break another bone. It's seems I received a "precision" blow that did it's job and not much more. :rolleyes:

There are plenty other smaller things that have happened, but time is limited here and I still have Afet's list to contend with. So, til another time...

Woah Shane .. your last post has given me chills down my spine.

I hope you do manage to tell us about the "smaller things" that have happened, one day. I find all this fascinating and would be very interested to hear them :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree, Afet...it was like reading something from 'the X Files' wasn't it? But then, don't you find life is like that? A complete mystery... :rolleyes:

Something else I've noticed, is that everything seems to happen for a reason...even if you can't see the reason at the time of the event.

Men...always needing something stroked...even if it is mostly their egos! :P

I love the come back Linda :o ;)

OK Shane, I promised I'd be back for more... you ready??

1. What do you find utterly boring in life?

2. Do you have any fears or phobias? (Don't be scared now.. it helps to talk about these things)

3. Tell us your favourite word (if it's repeatable on this forum)?

4. What do you like most about yourself?

5. What do you like least about yourself?

6. Do you think you have any weaknesses? What are they?

7. Is there a celebrity that absolutely gets on your nerves? (e.g. Paris Hilton <_< ) Why?

8. How can I peel onions without crying?

9. Do you sing in the shower?

10. What did Joe A's questions reveal to you about his personality?

Enjoy .. I may well be back later ;)

And now Afet brings out the big guns...

1. Waiting. It drives me crazy and I'm not very good at it.

2. I really don't like heights. While in the Marines, I did alot of rapelling (sp?) and was even a guinea pig for a Ropemaster school. I have probably close to 100 jumps Australian style(head first), but if I don't have something to hold on to and have to trust my own balance, I absolutely freeze up. Maybe that's a metaphor or something... :rolleyes:

3. Favorite word..hmmm...I've always liked the sound of Rumplestiltskin. If you want the word I probably use the most, then it's probably "uh." :D

4. That my eyes are still open to the world around me. That, if I know anything, it's that I "don't know nuthin'" It seems to me that as we age, sometimes we decide maybe we've got it all figured out and quit looking.

5. I am very needy at times. I wish to keep getting stronger in myself so that I can put more of the focus on helping others. "...that one person has breathed a little easier because you existed." I probably got that a little wrong, but I think the point is the same...

6. Lack of focus - sometimes I'm like chasing a rubber ball. :D

Sometimes my temper can still get the best of me. I'll blame it on the hair. ;)

Needy (see above)

7. Yes, Paris Hilton, Brittney Spears and any other "straight out of the mold" bimbo who thinks their "stuff" don't stink. Same applies to the males. (Now see, that was a mean thing to say, but I was set up...)

8. Trying holding the onion under water while you cut it.

9. I make odd sounds with my vocal cords that are music in my own head. Is that singing?

10. Joe is an intelligent guy, wanting to show his prowess, who is not afraid to throw himself into the mix. But his steps are tentative and, in this case, his prey became the predator. ;)

Sorry Joe, but once again, Afet provoked me. I wish you only the best and look forward to chatting later. :)

Afet, I cannot think of a better post for my 100th. Thanks. :D :D :D

:lol: I am now doing Ally's little happy dance!!! :lol:

Afet, I cannot think of a better post for my 100th. Thanks.

Happy 100th posting, Shane! :D

PS Who are you going to pick to be the next Hot Seat occupant? (BTW, you don't have to answer that just yet!).

Hi Shane....

Strange, I'm sure, as I know mine was, but feeling like a part of yourself was just given back.....

Have a great Easter.....

Higgy

Hello Higgy, thanks for chiming in...

Yes, very strange. My very first ride was actually behind the dealership when we were picking up the bike I am racing now. The owner is a friend of a friend. My brother and I went to pick it up. We were all out back and there was a small field. Without thinking, I simply turned to my brother and said, "hold my leg, I wanna ride it." Our friend that knows the dealer says he (the dealer)still mentions it all the time and uses my words whenever he is about to try out a different bike.

It was very awkward getting the feel of shifting with buttons and the balance was VERY strange. But now, I get on and, for the moment, I feel as though I have two legs again and I just run like a little kid. :D :D Or like a deer through the woods. Things would be WAY different without my bike and I don't think I want to find out.

Psst! I know who number 14 is...

And so does Lizzie!

Higgy

EXACTLY!!!

Hi Shane....

Have a great Easter.....

Higgy

Hello Higgy, thanks for chiming in...

Yes, very strange. Most very first ride was actually behind the dealership when we were picking up the bike I am racing now. The owner is a friend of a friend. My brother and I went to pick it up. We were all out back and there was a small field. Without thinking, I simply turned to my brother and said, "hold my leg, I wanna ride it." Our friend that knows the dealer says he (the dealer)still mentions it all the time and uses my words whenever he is about to try out a different bike.

It was very awkward getting the feel of shifting with buttons and the balance was VERY strange. But now, I get on and, for the moment, I feel as though I have two legs again and I just run like a little kid. :D :D Or like a deer through the woods. Things would be WAY different without my bike and I don't think I want to find out.

Psst! I know who number 14 is...

And so does Lizzie!

Higgy

EXACTLY!!!

Hey Lizzie, you up to your old tricks again? ;) :lol:

Shane I'm up 4 more if you are?

1. The one personal thing you fear most?

2. The one thing you would do if you could?

3. The one thing you would change if you could?

4. If you could reverse a moment what would it be?

5. If you could repeat a moment would it be?

6. If you could wish for anything (yes anything ) what would it be?

7. And finally your grand final'e how would you choose it an what, when, why and how would it be?

I'm headed to do the lunch with family thing. I'll be back to finish the questions and pick my heir. I may be just a tad late... :)

Shane,

Geeshhhhh.... Am I glad to hear someone else say something like that...

Growing up I was always hell on wheels on any horse that was around. I wasn't afraid to ride any of them. Left my father standing white faced a time or two, with some of the horses I rode and antics I pulled... Anyway, there were times, that I would always wonder, if I couldn't ride like I do now, (why would a 10 year old think something like that) would I ever try to ride again? Like you, it was as if there was something "preparing me" for some future thing... I knew that I would try, even if they had to put me on a horse...

The only person I ever had the courage to tell this to was my husband. After the accident....

As for the first ride on the Harley, post accident, well, it was probably the sweetest ride behind Hubby that I ever had...Neither of us were sure how it was going to go, as bad as I had been busted up,(pelvic fractures, sacral/iliac fractures of both sides and left shoulder blade and collar bone) I suppose that made it all the sweeter....

Thank you for sharing what you did......

Higgy

Hey Shane,

I took my mom to church today with my boys. As we were walking I told her about your post about your dad. I just wanted to say that I'm happy for you both, reconnecting. Life has a weird way of coming full circle doesn't it? The way you described being able to handle it, is exactly the way I looked at it during my why me days. My great grandmother was a pretty insightful lil lady who told me that everything happens for a reason. She was also pretty religious in her old age, & added that we were chosen to bear this cross. We should feel honored that God picked us to do this & that He would never give you a burden more than you could bear without giving you the strength to bear it. Religious or not...always made me feel a little more special & made it easier to handle.

We all survived....there must be a reason & a purpose for our surviving.

One last question.........

Unless I misread something it sounds like just you & your mom when you were growing up....any siblings after reconnecting with your dad?

Linda

Shane I'm up 4 more if you are?

1. The one personal thing you fear most?

2. The one thing you would do if you could?

3. The one thing you would change if you could?

4. If you could reverse a moment what would it be?

5. If you could repeat a moment would it be?

6. If you could wish for anything (yes anything ) what would it be?

7. And finally your grand final'e how would you choose it an what, when, why and how would it be?

I think Mel is trying to give Afet a run for her money! :D Well, you asked, so here goes...

1. The thing I fear the most...Not real sure of a good way to word this...Failing at life after amputation. I've faced a whole lot of obstacles in life and made it through, even if only by the skin of my teeth. But this is by far the most challenging. This is a mountain that I have no choice but to climb, and lots of times I'm not sure if I'm up for it. I keep having this thought in those dark moments that I am slipping over a cliff and trying to dig in with my fingernails and hold on for all I've got. There is alot at stake in this game. I guess you could say that I am handling things the way I am out of fear of the alternative. My fear is my only courage.

2. Run like hell!!!! :lol:

3. The price of state of the art prosthesis.

4. Geeze, I'm not sure on that one because you never know what else you would be changing. I wish that I could just let this "cup" pass me by. But, evidently that's not the plan.

You know, I keep trying to think of something I would reverse, but then I start thinking what I could be tampering with if I did. I think it's pretty darn evident that there are bigger things going on that we don't understand. And thinking we are smart enough to tamper could be a huge mistake.

Maybe(just maybe) I would take back that comment about Linda and Lizzie trying harder. Linda burned me on that. But don't worry Linda, I still didn't let them in on our "little secret." ;)

5. The day I won my first race. I dominated the class that day and my brother (and best friend) waited at the finish line for me. When I came through, he took a running dive and knocked me completely off the bike. That was a good day. :D :D By the way, he had a flat at the very beginning of the race that day and got to watch the whole thing take place. B)

6. Absolute world peace.

7. Whoa :rolleyes: ...I think maybe I would like it all to end after a good day where I really inspired some, helped some others, and maybe just brought a smile to the rest. I would like to just lie down for the night, content that nothing was left undone, and in the wee hours...check out.

I'm definitely not ready yet.

One last question.........

Unless I misread something it sounds like just you & your mom when you were growing up....any siblings after reconnecting with your dad?

Linda

Just the two of us for the first 4 years. I had a father figure (married to my mother) from age 4 to 17. He struggled with drug addiction his whole life until it took him out in 1989. His name was Tom and he tried, but the "monkey" was always there haunting him. But he fathered my brother,Trav, and that alone makes his contribution to my life priceless. We have different biological fathers, but get accused of being twins all the time. There are 7 years between us, so I take it as a compliment. B)

Well folks, it's been a heck of a ride. But my time is up. Mel, that last round was a work out. I hope I didn't scare anybody off, but I DID warn you at the beginning...

Thank you all very much for your questions and allowing me to share lots of things that one needs to understand in order to understand me. Peace...I'm out!!! :D :D :D

Okay, I'll bite. What was it like reuniting with your biological father?

Great you should ask. Well, my mother tracked him down when I got hit. Remember that we haven't really ever been around each other since I was an infant.. He called almost every day while I was in the trauma center and was a huge help . We hit it off immediately and are so much alike it is down right scary. When I hear him laugh on the phone, it's like hearing my own echo. I guess the biggest detail not yet included here is the fact that he is a bilateral amp. LBK and RAK. He lost his legs in Vietnam while serving in the...Marine Corps!

He is the most positive person I have ever met. Very early on he told me that if I ever wondered "Why me?", to think about it this way: "If it hadn't been you, then it may have been someone who couldn't handle it as well as you." His point struck home and that isn't a thought I ever consider.

Thanks for asking. :)

I lost Archie friday. My father and greatest hero is gone.

Shane, I'm so sorry to hear that...you and he are in my thoughts.......

Shane,

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your father..... You have my deepest sympathies..

Rest easy in the knowledge that even though your father fought his own demons, he did give the best that he could for you..

He also left you with great words of wisdom and peace of mind.. Those things will never leave you, and they are to be treasured....

Life doesn't always seem fair, but, in the end, we are always richer for those who were in it...

My thoughts are with you at this time...