Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Lizzie2

Totally off topic & a bit grisly

I found this news item so unbelievable & so amazingly sad...

Woman lay dead in her flat for more than two years

A woman's decomposing body lay undetected in her flat for more than two years until housing officers came to investigate unpaid rent.

The skeleton of Joyce Vincent, 40, was found clutching a shopping bag and surrounded by Christmas presents she had wrapped but never delivered.

The television and heating were still on at full blast, washing up sat in a bowl in the kitchen, and the fridge was packed with items best before November 2003.

The body was so decomposed that the cause of death could not be determined and she had to be identified through dental records, an inquest heard.

Ms Vincent had lost contact with her brother and sisters and nobody felt her disappearance was worth investigating until January this year when housing officers drilled the lock . The caretaker of the building in Wood Green, north London, described the scene inside as "unreal".

Ms Vincent's next-door neighbour, Mickel Dobbs, a 25-year-old carpenter, became suspicious a year ago after noticing a strange smell - but did nothing about it. "Every time I opened my window I would see strange little black insects crawling through," he said. "My friend used to joke, 'Maybe there's a dead body in there!'"

News item taken from this page.

It's ironic that the only reason someone wanted to speak to her was because of rent arrears...

Lizzie :)

:o .......... :(

The television and heating were still on at full blast, washing up sat in a bowl in the kitchen, and the fridge was packed with items best before November 2003.

Two years of unpaid bills and her power hadn't been cut? Hmmm.

Two years of unpaid bills and her power hadn't been cut? Hmmm.

I was wondering about that. My power company wouldn't let me go 2 years. Anyway, sad story. I think it would be awful to die and nobody notice.

Mel asked me how I would want it all to end while I was on the hot seat. This seems to me to be at the far opposite end of the spectrum. Nobody should have to live THAT disconnected.

Modern day community spirit in action. :rolleyes:

Amen, brother.

Hi guys,

keeps on happening all the time - unfortunately.

If you are a single, somewhat withdrawn old age pensioner, have no children (even children aren't a

safeguard any more against anything like this happening ), it could easily happen to you.

Especially here in Germany where the costs of utilities are automatically deduced from your

account by way of standing orders.

As long as the pension keeps coming and the stench does not arouse curiosity, nobody will

notice.

C'est la vie!

Regards,

Mike

Hi guys,

keeps on happening all the time - unfortunately.

If you are a single, somewhat withdrawn old age pensioner, have no children (even children aren't a

safeguard any more against anything like this happening ), it could easily happen to you.

Especially here in Germany where the costs of utilities are automatically deduced from your

account by way of standing orders.

As long as the pension keeps coming and the stench does not arouse curiosity, nobody will

notice.

C'est la vie!

Regards,

Mike

I know, Mike...but, this poor woman was only in her 40's! :o

Dear Lizzy,

you're right.

I only noticed the age, when I read the paragraph for a second time.

Kind regards,

Mike RHD

Dear Lizzy,

you're right.

I only noticed the age, when I read the paragraph for a second time.

Kind regards,

Mike RHD

And your right too, Mike...it does keep happening and irrespective of age, it is a sad reflection on society...

Hi Lizzie,

it may be safe to assume that this kind of grisly occurrence is more likely to happen

in the anonymity of a large city rather than in a small rural community where everyone

knows everyone.

Regards,

Mike RHD

Hi Lizzie,

it may be safe to assume that this kind of grisly occurrence is more likely to happen

in the anonymity of a large city rather than in a small rural community where everyone

knows everyone.

Regards,

Mike RHD

Sorry to dissapoint you but http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4906322.stm this was reported the same day. This poor woman lived in Liskeard, Cornwall.