Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
unique

sinvisc injections??CTI BRACE

Hi Everyone,

I have been an amp for 25 years now, and a non proosthetic user for much of that time. I have used a scooter on and off for work ect .In the past thre years my "good knee" has been getting worse. Last Summer the swellinng and pain was bad enough that I went to an excellent(maybe the gang knows by now that I am very skeptical about Docotrs) surgeon at NYU in NYC. He baiscically told me what I already knew BUT he surprised me !

He said he Never does Endoscopic surgery on amputees for arthrits and cartilage problems, because when they "Clean Up the inside of your knee, they also take out what cushion you have left in the joint.

So he offered me a steriod injection" No thanks, had 23 of those for my Nueroma's in my stump".

SO he gave me some very expensive antinflammatory meds MOBIC*, which I took and they definitley help but not enough. He also told me to get a better brace. which I did and then to come back when I was ready for a ............knee replacement!

Oh _______ I said.

So for the last year I have been coping, decreasing my driving and crutching, and I have kept swimming to keep off the wieght. Then a few months ago someone told me about the new artificail synovial fluid(JOINT FLIUD) injections. SYNVISC*

They are made from Chicken fat and supposedsly you have three of them in a row into your joint and it helps tremendously.

So I thought I will call my doctor. He said that he had not had conclusive proof that they help. No help at all really.

So I thought Why Not? So I had one injection, it was GREAT, but I noticed that the articles I read said that the DOC should always remove existing synovial fluid BEFORE the injection. WHICH HE DID NOT DO

Then I had the second one, not so great and my knee got a little swollen, no redness just swollen and painful!!

On Tuesday I am supposed to have the third one??

Anybody out there tried these injections?? Or anything else for arthritic knee pain. Has anyone had a knee replacement ?? How long does reahb REALLY take. I am not happy it hurts .

Would also like to hear from anyone who had a custom made CTI brace? They cast you for it and it will NOT fit under jeans only baggy cloths and I am trying to get a part time job and I ma fairly sur they will not hire me with a noticable brace on.

Would love to hear from any of you with thesa problems.

Thanks

Unique

PS My doctor was right, hopping will catch up to you!!

Well, Humpf...

My amputated side knee is quite arthritic. I've been seeing a "good" knee guy here in Cincinnati. (and Unique, I'm VERY skeptical of doctors and such as of late!) He has ordered synvisc for me... I'm soon to get the first injection, but after reading your post I'm not too thrilled!

What he has told me is this: Synvisc doesn't work for everyone, but when it does work, it gives 9 months of relief. It basically just delays a knee replacement. Since I've been laid up with surgeries for over a year now, I will do ANYTHING to avoid another surgery right now!!

Anyone else had synvisc?? :o

Hi unique

I'm sorry I can't help you with the SYNVISC injections. They sound very interesting, though...as long as you're not allergic to chickens. :rolleyes: However, I can help you with knee replacements - I'll PM you.

Take care

Lizzie :)

My neighbor had this done and is exstatic about it. The best his knee has felt in years. He feels so good that he decided not to sell his two-story house. He is 62 and has had 3 previous ops on this knee. The docs feel he is too young to have replacement surgery.

The docs feel he is too young to have replacement surgery.

I was way younger than your neighbour when I had my TKR, Neal...<_<...and I wouldn't wish the op on my worst enemy, as it's VERY painful! :blink:

Comparatively speaking, knee implants aren't as well developed as hip implants, so they don't last as long. The average life-span of a knee implant is 10 years (with amps, that life-span is reduced)...and you can only have a maximum of three implants in one knee. Given a choice I'd go for conservative treatment...but I didn't have a choice... :blink:

Well thank you Neal! I needed some good words about the treatment I'm soon to get!

:)

Thanks for your replies!

Has anyone tried the Custom made CTI brace either before or after surgery?? Was it worth it??

Is it comfortable??

Unique

Here's the product insert from Synvisc Synvisc.

Interstingly, it's made from chicken combs! But under the circumstances, it is important that you have no history of allergy to chicken or egg products, and even if you don't I can see where Synvisc itself might induce an allergic reaction.

Well, I just got word that my insurance has approved me getting the synvisc injections -- apparently each shot is quite expensive and you go for three shots in a row! My first injection is April 27... I'll keep everyone posted on how it does on my poor ole knee :( But I'll do anything to avoid surgery this close to all the other surgeries.

I had my first injection of the synvisc on Thursday. It was painless (he used an anesthetic spray before the shot). I don't notice any relief really, but no bad side effects either. I hope the second one goes well...

I had my first injection of the synvisc on Thursday. It was painless (he used an anesthetic spray before the shot). I don't notice any relief really, but no bad side effects either. I hope the second one goes well...

Good luck Marilyn, I hope you get some relief with this treatment.

xxHxx

Good luck Marilyn, I hope you get some relief with this treatment.

xxHxx

Yes...I hope it works for you, too...crossed fingers! :D

Makes for interesting reading.

I was not aware of this procedure, It will be interesting to follow the progress of both of you.

Your experiences could provide invaluable empirical information for other people faced with having to make the same decision.

I wish you both the beat of luck

Well folks, had my second of three injections of synvisc this afternoon. I can see where this is headed -- he started on the outside of my knee and shot up and under the knee cap and today, he went to the center and up under the knee cap (ouch! This one was worse!)... next week, I'm assuming he'll go to the inside and up & under the kneecap. Should get good coverage.

Found out my knee guy works with bone cancer patients so has experience with amputees. I've got what I suspect is a neuroma (he thinks so too). He said we can address this after the synvisc is done. He said he can try to localize (find) the exact place and shoot this with a needle.

Has anyone had this done for a neuroma? I didn't ask him (yet) what is IN that needle and what it's supposed to do, but I will... How lucky am I to get a bone guy who has worked with cancer patients and with amputees? :o I think It's pretty cool and I think he might actually be pretty good. (At least he is funny -- when I went for my first injection last week, I asked him what should I expect. Soreness? Stiffness? His deadpan response: "Five hours of excruitiating pain." Whoa, I thought, but I said, "Really?!" By his look, I then understood he was messing with me. Thank goodness!)

Well, it's all sounding very promising, isn't it, Marilyn?

You asked about injecting neuromas...I personally would let anyone touch mine whilst I'm awake, let alone inject it, but then mine is VERY sensitive...however, I've found some information for you about it here.

Well, it's all sounding very promising, isn't it, Marilyn?

You asked about injecting neuromas...I personally would let anyone touch mine whilst I'm awake, let alone inject it, but then mine is VERY sensitive...however, I've found some information for you about it here.

Thanks for the link Lizzie! I'm supposed to be getting ready to take a day trip with my mom and my sister -- leaving in about an hour! I'll check out your info when I get back! But I'm with you, if this thing doesn't bother me too much, I'm leaving it alone!! (so far, no pressure on it in the prosthesis)