Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Smarie

Advice needed

Hi,

My daughter will be having her leg amputeted below the knee tomorrow, April 17th. I have prepared her as much as can but I don't know how much she fully understands. She's not quite four, she will be in July. She knows the doctor will be removing her leg and she will have to heal for a while and then she'll get a new "plastic" leg. But I'm afraid of her reaction and emotions when she wakes up after surgery and the reality of the situation hits her. I know once she gets her prosthetic she'll be fine. But the 6-8 weeks she's without one concerns me. That can seem like an eternity to a child. Are there any books that deal with this? Any suggestions on how I can help her through this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi

I mentioned children's book and resources a little while ago...but, just for you, here are the links again:

Lets Go! Books with Positive Images - Children & Young People with Mobility Difficulties

Amputeddy

Ethnic Dolls and Disability Accessories

Amputee Dolls

I had my amps as a child and so I know that children take their lead (i.e. in this case, their reaction to their amputation), primarily from their parents. So, please make sure that you have enough emotional and practical support.

Children are wonderful adaptable creatures and your daughter will take the operation very well. Yes, she may wake up and wonder where her foot is (I did when I was a baby), but if you're there with lots of hugs and cuddles, it will make it much easier for her. If she's like all the ther children I've known who have had similar surgery, she'll bounce back!

If you have any more questions, please ask - PM me, if that's easier.

Take care

Lizzie :)

Thanks Lizzie for the links and advice. I didn't even realize they made amputee dolls. I have a lot to learn. Thanks for reposting the links, I didn't see the previous post. Sorry if it was a duplicate.

Thanks Lizzie for the links and advice. I didn't even realize they made amputee dolls. I have a lot to learn. Thanks for reposting the links, I didn't see the previous post. Sorry if it was a duplicate.

You're welcome...it was absolutely no problem! After all, you have enough to think of at the moment.

I hope your daughter's surgery goes well tomorrow. :)

Take care

I didn't see the previous post. Sorry if it was a duplicate.

Hi Smarie,

Unless you did a search previously, there was no way of you knowing. Nothing to worry about. ;)

Welcome to our forum anyway!

I am sure your little girl will cope very well. Please keep us posted on how she gets on.

I wish you both the very best for tomorrow.

Hello from Canada!

I will keep your daughter, you and your family in my prayers tonight.

Gosh I see so many children at Rehab and they do just great - so keep your spirits up and just be there for her.

Be prepared that she may have pain post op so that you're mentally prepared for it. Having two chilren of my own I know how hard it would be to see them go through any illness.

great idea for her to see a doll or teddy without a limb - a quick sewing job on one may be an idea as you don't have time to look for one - just a thought!

take care and let us know how you and your daughter are doing

Keep Smiling! Wendy

Hi Smarie and welcome to the forum.

I had my amp done when I was 5 so like Lizzie said any questions you have just let me know too.

With a Mum that cares so much I'm sure she will come through this fine :)

Cat

hello Smarie,

Life will be odd at first, I'm sure. But Children are just amazing at adapting to new situations and I'm certain that your little girl will astound you every day at how she overcomes every diffiuculty one at a time. You'll probably find that very soon, will be getting along as if she's an ordinary kid (ableit an exraordinary acheivement).

Good luck and brightest blessings to both of you xx :)

Hello Smarie,

If it's any help, I have a neighbour with a 5 year old little girl - Chelsea. She is quite an amazing little one, who jumps about, runs about, and gives my 2 boys a run for their money!

She was about 2 or 3 when she lost her foot, and she copes amazingly well.

Good luck to you.

Sue.

I used to go to church with Oscar Pistrious (gold paralympian) and he was a nightmare - live wire deluxe!!!!

Please keep in touch,

Ally

Hi Smarie,

I had my right leg amputated below knee at 2 1/2 years old. I think you are going to be surprised at how resiliant your little girl will be. There is no way of knowing how she is going to react but like the others have said, as long as you and the rest of her family are supporting her she'll get through it.

I remember 2 days after my op climbing into the bed of a little girl in the next to me because she was crying for her mum (she had her tonsils out!). The next day the ward sister shouted at my Mum and asked her to have a word with me, saying I should not be out of the bed, let alone climbing over the furniture into someone elses bed. I was only a toddler though!!

I'll be thinking of you all. Let us know how you and your daughter are getting on :)

Leanne

PS Lizzie2, those dolls sound like a great idea. I wish they were around when I was little :)

Lizzie2, those dolls sound like a great idea. I wish they were around when I was little. :)
So, do I Leanne! :)

I was forever taking the legs off my dolls when I was little...and usually losing them! :rolleyes: When I discovered the amputeddy and the amputee dolls, it all 'clicked into place'...and I understood why I de-legged my dollies! :D

:lol: that explains quite a lot!

Same kind of thing goes for this website and others like it. My parents didnt have any kind of support other than my family and my Dr's. I was having this exact convo with my Mum tonight. Its really good that the net enables people in similar circumstances, no matter where they are geographically to share their thoughts, concerns and amusing stories! I've got a load of those!!! :P

Same kind of thing goes for this website and others like it. My parents didnt have any kind of support other than my family and my Dr's. I was having this exact convo with my Mum tonight. Its really good that the net enables people in similar circumstances, no matter where they are geographically to share their thoughts, concerns and amusing stories! I've got a load of those!!!

Again...I totally agree, Leanne! My parents only had the support of the doctors and healthcare professionals that cared for me... :rolleyes:

...So, what about these amusing stories of yours? ;) :P

Take care

Hi Marie,

DId you say four? Now I'm not a phycologist, but children deal with and view things differently than adults. I was eight when I lost my leg and I can say, it took a lil getting used to but I was perfectly comfortable with it. Don't be too surprised when she adapts to it within weeks. She'll find her own ways of reaching objects and maybe even hopping across the room. She'll be a pro with crutches in no time. They say the sooner they get into a prosthesis, the easier it will be. But let her do it in her own time. Encourage physical activity through out her life just like any other child. She may have questions later about why she lost her leg, but because shes so young she really has to live it in order to understand it. Children seem to have a way of accepting easily things that adults would struggle with. Its gonna be hard sometimes, but you just gotta support her as she figures it out.

Nicole

Hi Marie,

There is also an organization here in the United States, its the Amputee Coalition of America.

Their web site is

www.amputee-coalition.org

They have a section there just for kids, go check it out.. They have information that may be helpful to you as well, as a parent. During the summer, they also have a kids camp for children amputees....It's pretty awesome...

I'll keep your daughter and your family in my prayers...

Higgy

Hi Smarie and welcome to our little part of the world. I lost my leg above the knee just last year at the age of 33. So I don't have much knowledge on your particular situation. What I do know, is that all of the people that have posted before me are absolutley brilliant and their advice is priceless! I know your daughter (and you) will shine though this. I can just feel it. Please keep us posted on her progress. You two have ALOT of smiles still to come!! :D

So, here's good vibes coming your way from Arkansas! :D

Shane

Hello! I don't have much advice to add, just wanted to welcome you to the family and wish you and your family the very best. I hope all is going well and the surgery went without a hitch.

Take care.

Carol

Thank you all for the advice. Savnnah is home and doing great! She is climbing all over the furniture and scooting all over the place. She's even figured out how to stand on her one leg and open doors. She has just amazed us. She didn't complain of any pain today so she didn't take any medicine. She's been playing and laughing ever since she got home. Anyway, I just wanted to thank ya'll for the advice and update you on Savannah.

How very wonderful!! Kids are so resilient! :D

Thank you all for the advice. Savnnah is home and doing great! She is climbing all over the furniture and scooting all over the place. She's even figured out how to stand on her one leg and open doors. She has just amazed us. She didn't complain of any pain today so she didn't take any medicine. She's been playing and laughing ever since she got home. Anyway, I just wanted to thank ya'll for the advice and update you on Savannah.

That's just how it should be! :)

Take care

Thanks for the news. Glad to hear things are going well!

Carol

Thank you for the update

Children never cease to amaze me. It also sounds like some excellent parenting has come into play here.

Good Luck to both of you.