Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Ok, I'm sure we've touched on this before, but I'm opening it up again.

It's no news that we women would like more shoe options. Yes, there are height adjustable feet out there, we know. What I'm asking is much simpler, atleast it should be........High heeled shoes, for the "normal" woman come with a pointy toe. Not only does the heel add the dressiness to the shoe, but let's face it style matters. I never feel quite dressed as soon as I put on that flat! :rolleyes: I miss the heels, that's no secret, but...why why can't flats come with the pointy toe & dressiness of a high heeled shoe? Is it soooo difficult to make. I'm thinking of going into the shoe making business, cobbler? Since we are all from different areas....ladies have you found dressy flats out there? I have two weddings coming up & I need some decent shoes!!!! :huh: Fuction combined with fashion!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Linda

Ok, I'm sure we've touched on this before, but I'm opening it up again.

It's no news that we women would like more shoe options. Yes, there are height adjustable feet out there, we know. What I'm asking is much simpler, atleast it should be........High heeled shoes, for the "normal" woman come with a pointy toe. Not only does the heel add the dressiness to the shoe, but let's face it style matters. I never feel quite dressed as soon as I put on that flat! :huh: I miss the heels, that's no secret, but...why why can't flats come with the pointy toe & dressiness of a high heeled shoe? Is it soooo difficult to make. I'm thinking of going into the shoe making business, cobbler? Since we are all from different areas....ladies have you found dressy flats out there? I have two weddings coming up & I need some decent shoes!!!! :huh: Fuction combined with fashion!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Linda

I know how you feel, Linda! :huh:

Have you tried looking for low heels with a pointy toe? There are quite a few around here in the UK at the moment. The only problem is the width of the heel, as so many styles have such small heel bases, I doubt whether I could actually balance on them! :rolleyes:

Lizzie :)

Shoes shoes shoes - the bain of every amputee woman's life, to be sure.

I must get myself into gear and get some pics posted here on how we can adjust our feet ourselves. It's relatively easy and the heel height is quite vast.

It's not recommended to do it often because the screws (or whatever they are) don't like to be fiddled with too many times, but it is certainly a do-able thing.

I will get out the camera and down load the pics.

Tomorrow.

Promise.

:)

Hi Linda,

When I first got my leg I had that problem, until I found one pair of flat pointy toe black shoes in Dune - a shoe shop in England. I have bought two pairs, and they have served me very well - I do feel a lot more dressed up in them. I have attached the link to the website below - they don't seem to have the shoes I bought anymore but they do have some flatish pointy toed shoes.

I feel the pain!

Fiona x

http://www.dune.co.uk/catalogue/default.asp?r=9

Shoes shoes shoes - the bain of every amputee woman's life, to be sure.

That was exactly the same thought that came to my mind when I read this topic, Ally <_<

Linda,

You know that you and I are in exactly the same position. Difference being that there has only been one wedding (that I chose not to go to) since I lost my legs. But, this whole thing will come up with me too, one day.

In the meantime, I have been wearing my trainers OR some dressier knee high boots (with little or no heels) that I found. I bought four different ones in varying colours and styles that day, just because I could get them on <_<

I was a proper shoe-a-holic before. I mean 50+ pairs of shoes, usually with 3 inch+ heels in varying sexy styles. I walked tall and very proud. (I only had a few "practical" shoes :rolleyes: )

Of course, those shoes are useless to me now. They remain in their boxes, exactly where I left them. I can't bear to go through them. The thought of doing that really makes me sad :(

So I'm with you on the shoe thing. Have you tried googling 'pointy flat shoes'? I did that after first reading this thread, and quite alot came up. Obviously, you'd need to spend time going through them, but I'd rather do that at home rather than traipsing around the shops and feeling like crap when I discover that there's nothing out there.

I checked out Fiona's link (thanks Fi ;) ) and Dune have some nice styles available right now. Don't know if you planned on buying some shoes from the UK or not.

Good luck though girl. I hope you find what you're looking for. And when you do, be sure to send me links! ;)

Hi Linda

I also find buying shoes a bit of a nightmare and find it always gets worse in the summer when most of the shoes in the shops are quite flimsy and not really suitable with the limbs.

However, I have never worn flat shoes with the limbs - tried on one occassion and hated it. As a teenager managed to wear quite high but "chunky" heels and never had any problems. Still wear heels but have now come down to about 1 and a half inch, am currently (on the advice of prosthetist) wearing "hotter shoes" with the wedge rubbery heel, however altho. they are marvelous for non-slip would now like to go back to ordinary heels. Usually find shoes with a strap or laces the best type, slip ons just slip off me after a few weeks.

I am always on the lookout for suitable shoes, and now when I find a pair I like try and buy a couple of pairs.

was a proper shoe-a-holic before. I mean 50+ pairs of shoes, usually with 3 inch+ heels in varying sexy styles. I walked tall and very proud. (I only had a few "practical" shoes )

Of course, those shoes are useless to me now. They remain in their boxes, exactly where I left them. I can't bear to go through them. The thought of doing that really makes me sad

OMG Afet......I am soooo with you on this. A week before I got sick, I bought a pair of sort of maroon colored boots with a 4in heel. :angry: They cost me more than I could afford, but I wanted them & they were hot!!!!!!!!!!! I have to admit....it was atleast 5 years, before I could bring myself to donate them. I left them at my mom's & she was to do the deed. I couldn't. Partly because I really liked them, but mostly because I knew I was admitting I couldn't wear them again & even if I could...wouldn't be the same. :(

Pity you don't live closer......we'd go through all the shoes & bid them a fond farewell. I'd supply the alcohol as we'd both have to be wasted to endure such pain!!!!!

Linda

Hi Linda,

Have you tried looking on nordstrom.com? Sometimes they even list the heel height which can be helpful. I'm in a particularly limited foot - ugly shoe period so one thing I'm thinking of trying is somehow adding a strap to those flat, dressy, backless shoes that are so popular right now. My shoe frustration has led to obsession with purses - anyone else have this happen?

If you start your own shoe line - I will be your first customer and will pay BIG BUCKS!

Good luck,

Jodi

My shoe frustration has led to obsession with purses - anyone else have this happen?

Ok...yes apparently this is what happens....just look in my closet. :P

I have checked out Nordstroms. Thing is, I'm set to a really flat shoe, not even a loafer style heel...flat. There are designer shoes out there, but 1. wayyyyy too $$$$...2. also kinda flimsy & I'd end up walking out of them. Years ago, Payless, of all stores, had these flat pointy toed slingbacks that looked perfect & dressed up slacks. Wished they'd bring them back, but it makes you wonder why other shoe stores don't accomodate. Somehow, they act like if you need a flat..you have no taste or you're a lil old lady in a comfortable shoe. :angry: We need to get together & start our own company...feet, accessories & cosmesis to our own personal specifications! :D

Linda

Partly because I really liked them, but mostly because I knew I was admitting I couldn't wear them again & even if I could...wouldn't be the same. :(

Tell me about it. Same reason why I can't go through all mine. :(

And I totally know what you mean about it not being the same, even if you could wear them now. That feeling of having your feet arched inside a boot/shoe with a ridiculously high heel can never be replaced. <_<

Pity you don't live closer......we'd go through all the shoes & bid them a fond farewell. I'd supply the alcohol as we'd both have to be wasted to endure such pain!!!!!

Hey Linda, can I just point out that, if I did live closer to ya, we wouldn't need our shoes as an excuse to get wasted together! :lol: :P

Right with ya girls,

when I came home from hospital, it hadn't even crossed my mind that i'd have shoes i couldn't wear.

Being 6 foot tall, heels arn't really a problem as i only had a couple of pairs anyway.

It's the mules and toepost sandals that i love. I've got about thirty pairs in a box in the attic.

My prosthetist told me about a lady he knew that needed a new foot every 6 months because she liked that type of shoe too.

she got round it by SCREWING through the bottom of the sole into her foot to keep it in place!! :o He had to keep replacing the foot when it got too holey :lol:

sounds exteme but I tried it the other day as a last resort with a pair i wanted to wear to a wedding. Worked great :D :P :P :D

OMG :o ....Hazel you're a genius!!!!!!!!!! Where's the damn power drill?? That's going to work better than the see through bra straps!!!

There is a huge market at the moment for nice flat shoes. The stores here are full of them. Everything from Mary Janes to gorgeous little embroided Ballet shoes.

Also a tip.....a nice pair of platforms give you a longer looking leg, with a flat base for your foot to fit in, and you can get some real nice looking ones and are totally "in" right now..even the old style cork ones :blink:

Right I'm off to look for the power drill :lol: :lol:

Cat

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

You're funny x

Linda I'm hearing you and I agree 100%.

However; have just bought some new boots kumfs (from NZ) most have orthotics so they allow for extra room; all seem to have high backs (I wear an orthotic & AFO) and guess what sytlish pointy toes. :)

Very happy girl-not cheap but good and a little heel-gotta love that

Mel.

There is nothing in this entire world that makes me break out in a cold sweat as shoe shopping does. I dislike it so much. *shiver* I would really like a flat pair of shoes or boots that look good with a nice dress. I almost wore tennis shoes for my wedding.. *laugh* in fact *rofl* i think my mom decorated some white keds for me heh (its been so long i can't remember.. i know we were talking about doing that).

anyway.. i think i need sleep now.. I'm really glad i'm not the only one who would like the shoe issue to change.. :) want to start a new shoe company? *grin* i'm game :)

*(heh just read all the other posts.. maybe we should start our own company)*

I am with you guys on starting our own shoe company! I have had it with wearing ugly mugly shoes with every outfit I own! I work with people who own every cute pair of flip flop heels in the world!! I am interested in screwing my shoes on--will ask my prosthetist about it when I see him this week.

Carol

My prosthetist told me about a lady he knew that needed a new foot every 6 months because she liked that type of shoe too.

she got round it by SCREWING through the bottom of the sole into her foot to keep it in place!! :o He had to keep replacing the foot when it got too holey :lol:

sounds exteme but I tried it the other day as a last resort with a pair i wanted to wear to a wedding. Worked great :D :P :P :D

I think it's a great idea, Hazel...but, if you're an NHS patient, did you know that you're not actually supposed to adapt or alter your prosthesis in any way, without getting consent first? :blink:

I find it so very ironic that the shoes I've been wanting to come back in style for 30 years are finally back! And I can't wear them! :huh:

In all the stores here in the US, they've brought back all my favorite slides, and heels (I'm 5'7" and still wore HIGH heels!). All of these are embellished gorgeously...

Hmmm, my hubby has all kinds of power drills out in the garage, I'm not hooked to the NHS... :blink:

I think it's a great idea, Hazel...but, if you're an NHS patient, did you know that you're not actually supposed to adapt or alter your prosthesis in any way, without getting consent first? :blink:

hi Lizzie,

it's actually an NHS prosthetist that told me to do this! he said that I should live my life the way I wanted to and if that meant a few extra rubber feet.....so what! ;)

hi Lizzie,

it's actually an NHS prosthetist that told me to do this! he said that I should live my life the way I wanted to and if that meant a few extra rubber feet.....so what! ;)

Ohhhh...all I can say is don't, what-ever-you-do, mention his name here...as he could be in big do-do's! :blink: Especially with the 'new improved NHS budgetary restrictions', that now appear very likely... :huh:

Amazing .... You girls mention shoes and the whole sisterhood springs into action.

I ask for help with boots and what do I get .... Wear a plastic bag :blink:

Who said it was a 'man's world' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amazing .... You girls mention shoes and the whole sisterhood springs into action.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Look on the bright side we're not handicapped by an irrational addiction to footwear and can concentrate on the simpler pleasures in life, like beer, sex and ... well that's about it really. Need I say more :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look on the bright side we're not handicapped by an irrational addiction to footwear and can concentrate on the simpler pleasures in life, like beer, sex and ... well that's about it really. Need I say more :lol: :lol: :lol:

It always seems to come in that order as well. :D

I ask for help with boots and what do I get .... Wear a plastic bag

At least they didn't tell you to wear a paper bag...... :lol:

Look on the bright side we're not handicapped by an irrational addiction to footwear and can concentrate on the simpler pleasures in life, like beer, sex and ... well that's about it really. Need I say more

No arguments there Muz...nothing wrong with beer & sex as long as I can wear the shoes I want! I won't mention irrational addictions men have. ;)

Linda