Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Lizzie2

Quoting in a post (split topic)

Hi Ann

To create a quote box, you need to have...

...a "" at the end of the quote and...

...a "

" at the beginning

(sorry, Ann, I had to do it that way around, otherwise I would have had a quote box).

Lizzie x :)

the way I do the 'quote' thing is;

click quote then reply on the persons message that you want to quote,

then delete the text you don't need from within that message.

As Lizzie says, you must leave the 'quote' text before and after the bit you want in a box.

hope this helps x H x

I'm glad you posted that Hazel, as that is actually the best way of quoting someone. It's best because it tells you who you are quoting and when they wrote it.

You can either click QUOTE then REPLY, or just hit the "REPLY button. As Hazel says, you just need to delete the bits you don't want to quote, but it's very important that you DON'T DELETE any of the [boxed in words] especially those with the word QUOTE inside them. ;)

Hi Ann

To create a quote box, you need to have...

...a "

" at the end of the quote and...

...a "

" at the beginning

(sorry, Ann, I had to do it that way around, otherwise I would have had a quote box).

Lizzie x :)

oops ... must be doing something wrong here girls .... still not getting a box

um ... somehow got two boxes !!!

Don't panic Ann. I think you have it. :D

It's just coming up weird because of all the

's you have in your post. Normally, you would not be quoting the actual word 'quote,' if you know what I mean. ;)

Don't panic Ann. I think you have it. :D

It's just coming up weird because of all the

's you have in your post. Normally, you would not be quoting the actual word 'quote,' if you know what I mean. ;)

Think I get what you are saying Afet. Many thanks.

... or perhaps not.

:lol: :lol:

I went and put a 'quote' in a box too! So, when you quoted what I said, it got messed up because of that one word in that box.

You could always try Previewing your Post. It will show up the same as it will on the forum.

Was this for my benefit too Lizzie? :D

Now, would I do that to you, Rob? ;)

No...actually, when I replied to Ann's posting, it was under another thread...and Afet kindly created another thread, for the benefit of everyone. :D

Lizzie :)

Okay, Now would someone explain how you get more than one quote in a reply.

I sometime see - for instance: Lizzie being quoted, some text, and then Afet being quoted, more text, and then Mike being quoted.

Once I hit the quote and then reply button, there is no going back for another.

Like they say: "How'd ju do dat"

I sometime see - for instance: Lizzie being quoted, some text, and then Afet being quoted, more text, and then Mike being quoted.

Once I hit the quote and then reply button, there is no going back for another.

Like they say: "How'd ju do dat"

Hi Jim

If I want to include several quotes, I do the following:

1. I hit the reply button on the main (or the first) quote that I want to include in my posting.

2. I make sure that I have the 'start quote HTML tag' (to start the quote) at the beginning of the quote...and the 'close quote HTML tag' (to close the quote) is at the end of the quote. The start quote HTML tag is just the word 'quote' between two square brackets, whilst the close quote HTML tag is a pair of square brackets with a forward slash and then the word quote.

3. Then I hit the quote button on the 'replying to...' box (that I'm typing into) - it looks like a blue speech bubble.

4. I then select, copy & paste the second quote I want to add between the new start quote HTML tag and the new close quote HTML tag.

5. You can add as many quotes as you wish. Your message should be typed after a close quote HTML tag OR between a close quote HTML tage and a start quote HTML tag, otherwise it may be included in another person's quote.

When in doubt...hit the Preview Post button before you hit the Add Reply.

Hmm, seems Lizzie and I have different ways of doing this.

Where I need to write [ quote ], I will put them in brackets in this post so it doesn't mess it up again :blink:

Here's the way I do it...

• In the thread you're reading, along the right hand side, at the bottom of each post, is a QUOTE button with a + sign.

• Press the respective plus signs under each post that you want to quote

• then hit the REPLY button, right at the very bottom of the page (the one that isn't under anyone's post)

• This will bring you to 'post writing' mode, where you can write your thoughts under each quote you are quoting

• you can go ahead and remove the unnecessary bits to that person's quote, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL NOT TO DELETE ANYTHING THAT IS BOXED IN .. like >>> [this]

• Make sure that there is a (quote) at the beginning of the quoted text and an (/unquote) at the end of it

That should ensure that it doesn't mess everything up.

And there you go! My only advice is to just keep experimenting, and definitely use the Post Preview function. I do that after every post myself... I usually always need it! :lol:

Good luck Jim and anyone else who wants to try it B)

P.S. And for goodness sake, please don't anyone try multiple quoting any of these posts! Because of the (quotes) that are dotted about everywhere, it will look all messed up. If you don't believe me, then go ahead and ask Muz :P :lol:

I think mine's more like a direct programming method, Afet.

I've just tried your method and it works very well...but, I'll probably stick with mine, as I can keep track of the tags more easily...however, I know that others will find it much easier than mine. :)

P.S. And for goodness sake, please don't anyone try multiple quoting any of these posts! Because of the (quotes) that are dotted about everywhere, it will look all messed up. If you don't believe me, then go ahead and ask Muz

Ask Muz what? O:) <_< :)

To quote Marcia ( I think)......

"I'm confused, no wait, maybe I'm not." It's interesting (fun) seeing the different ways that people accomplish the same end result....

Thanks for the lessons though......I had wondered a time or two about the multiple quotes layered on top of each other myself......

Tammie

I went and put a 'quote' in a box too! So, when you quoted what I said, it got messed up because of that one word in that box.

You could always try Previewing your Post. It will show up the same as it will on the forum.

I'm still trying Afet

I'm still trying Afet

Think I might have got it

Think I might have got it

... She shoots .... AND SHE SCORES!! B)

Woooooohoooooo Ann, you've definitely got it!! Well done .. :D :D :D

P.S. And for goodness sake, please don't anyone try multiple quoting any of these posts! Because of the (quotes) that are dotted about everywhere, it will look all messed up. If you don't believe me, then go ahead and ask Muz

Yeah, and what happened to that lovely Muzzed post?! :o

Did you see that too, Marilyn? It was 'a beauty', wasn't it? :P :lol:

And there was me thinking that it was only Afet that had seen it ... Bunch of lurkers :D

Love it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never mind the quote .. where has the edit feature gone the last few posts I have made, I have been unable to edit

Bummer, aint it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you see that too, Marilyn? It was 'a beauty', wasn't it? :P :lol:

Lizzie, it was quite a hoot!!!! And he thinks we be lurkers!! :rolleyes: (never me!!) My only question is, did he Muzz it up on purpose!? :D

Never mind the quote .. where has the edit feature gone the last few posts I have made, I have been unable to edit

Bummer, aint it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ooops, Edit is a handy feature too -- specially for folks like me!

I have a QUESTION -- How do I make my words in COLORS? I type up my post, highlight the word(s) to be colored and then go up to the colorbox (big A above) and click on a color, but then when I preview my post, all I get is the goobledygook and not the colors?? (all these questions in the name of good posting, don't cha know?)

OK, Marilyn...I've just had a play around with the 'color text button' in the 'reply to posting' box and I've discovered that...

* If you highlight the text you want to colour and then hit the 'color text button', you will get a start color tag at the beginning of the text and a close color tag at the end.

* If you want to colour a whole quote, you just need to select and highlight the header of the posting (the bit at the top with the name, date and time)...and the hit the color text button.

* You have to be careful, otherwise you can end up with start and close tags in weird and wonderful places.

* The start and close color tags, look just like the start and close quote tags...except they have the word color, instead of quote.

Hi Jim

If I want to include several quotes, I do the following:

Okay, Now if I am doing this right, this text should wind up OUTSIDE of the box.

Where I need to write [ quote ], I will put them in brackets in this post so it doesn't mess it up again :rolleyes:

Here's the way I do it...

And there you go! My only advice is to just keep experimenting, and definitely use the Post Preview function. I do that after every post myself... I usually always need it! :lol:

Good luck Jim and anyone else who wants to try it B)

P.S. And for goodness sake, please don't anyone try multiple quoting any of these posts! Because of the (quotes) that are dotted about everywhere, it will look all messed up. If you don't believe me, then go ahead and ask Muz :P

This Text should be OUTSIDE also.

I think mine's more like a direct programming method, Afet.

I've just tried your method and it works very well...but, I'll probably stick with mine, as I can keep track of the tags more easily...however, I know that others will find it much easier than mine. :)

Okay, according to the PREVIEW, I should about have it here. Ladies - Thank you very much.

NOW, I've been having some trouble with my Microsoft Front Page....................... :D