Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
caroln

Having Trouble

Hi-

I understand your frustration completely. I have to wear a tight shrinker all night or I can't even get my leg on.

JudyH

I am ready to go out on the town and drink until I forget that I'm having trouble with this leg!! I should never have mentioned anything going well because now I jinxed it! I'm going to need to see my prosthetist again but have no idea when because I don't get any more time off from work.

Now the back of the prosthesis is just too tight and doesn't work right.

Also, a question for everyone--has anyone taken water pills for the volume troubles? Maybe this would do no good but I'm ready to try almost anything!!

Carol

I am ready to go out on the town and drink until I forget that I'm having trouble with this leg!! I should never have mentioned anything going well because now I jinxed it! I'm going to need to see my prosthetist again but have no idea when because I don't get any more time off from work.

Also, a question for everyone--has anyone taken water pills for the volume troubles? Maybe this would do no good but I'm ready to try almost anything!!

Carol

Awww dang it Carol! Sorry to hear this! I've not taken water pills for this (but do take them in conjunction with high blood pressure meds), but check with your MD and see if he/she thinks it could help.

Carol

Awww dang it Carol! Sorry to hear this! I've not taken water pills for this (but do take them in conjunction with high blood pressure meds), but check with your MD and see if he/she thinks it could help.

Carol, I don't know how your employer is, but is there any way you can take off at lunchtime and/or make up the time? (Probably not, I think I remember you work in a school or some such?)

Carol

Carol-

If I forget my water pill I can hardly get my leg on and then it swells. When my leg swells it doesn't fit right at any point - that is when blisters happen. I found a tiny one today so I'll leave my leg off tomorrow. My daughtaer , son and 2 grand daughters are coming this weekend. I haven't seen my daughter and son since Christmas and my grand kids since last summer.

Get AFTER YOR DR. YOU DON'T NEED ANYN PROBLEMS

JudyH

Hi CArol,

Maybe now you could see a prosthetist closer to you and could go after school. Just a thought. When my leg's not fitting properly, I am miserable. Good luck.

Well, I've got a new twist on everything. The leg drove me crazy for the last 2 days..hurt like heck! So, last night I remembered that I had an extra leg in my closet that was made before the one that started giving me trouble.

I am now wearing that today and all is well! (I am knocking on wood as I say that) Any day is fantastic when things actually work and feel good. So, hopefully this one will work for a while. I only have 19 days left of school and then I have the entire summer to sit at the prosthetist's office and get things fixed. I've also been applying for a bunch of jobs in the town where he is so that it would be a lot easier to get to him.

If the jobs don't work out, I'm going to have to change this summer.

Carol

Lizzie--I don't know why this one is so different. It is smaller at the bottom and tighter on the sides at the top. The new one was bigger at the bottom and tighter in front and back on the top. I'm not sure if this one will stay on the way it is supposed to, but I sure hope so! If not, I'm not sure where we'll go from here.

Carol

Lizzie--I don't know why this one is so different. It is smaller at the bottom and tighter on the sides at the top. The new one was bigger at the bottom and tighter in front and back on the top. I'm not sure if this one will stay on the way it is supposed to, but I sure hope so! If not, I'm not sure where we'll go from here.

Carol

I hope so too! If it does stay on, at least you'll know the socket is the problem, Carol.

Take care

Lizzie :)

Hi CArol,

Maybe now you could see a prosthetist closer to you and could go after school. Just a thought. When my leg's not fitting properly, I am miserable. Good luck.

Carol --It is great you found a solution. IL have been trying a new sock that goes ujnder my liner - it is as solf as a kitten. It is called a COMFORT AG. I couldn't walk too much today because my leg was still sore from yeswterday. I am switching between 2 legs at this time also. I dcan't predict when things will settle down.

Judy

Well, had an interesting weekend with the leg...more like frustrating. The other leg I tried didn't stay on any better, so I went back to the one that was wider at the bottom. I can happily say that it got me through my son's graduation and reception dinner afterwards! We had a great time and I'll send pictures as soon as he remembers to e-mail them to me.

I decided that since both legs get so unstable anyway, I'd rather wear the smaller leg that is tight on the sides at the top. It just feels better. I cut a sock off so that I'm wearing just the top to tighten things towards the top with the hope that it will keep my leg from falling down into the socket too far.

I went to Hanger yesterday and the prosthetist was very nice. Unfortunately, he said there wasn't much that he would do differently except try a different suspension system than the Harmony (which didn't work for me). He also said that since I just had a new prosthesis made, insurance wouldn't cover another one for at least 3 months, at least not from a new prosthetist.

So, I called my guy this morning and had him send me a new liner. I'm going to try a smaller one even though he doesn't think that will help. I figure that at this point, I'll try anything!! He also is going to look into other suspension systems for me. We'll see what he comes up with.

That's where I'm at right now. I could have eaten an entire box of Krispy Kremes last night after my appointment but luckily my leg was too shaky to go in anywhere!! Then I figured I could drink myself silly, but no booze!! So, while my leg is working today I'm going to at least pick up some booze...just in case it is needed in the future! It never hurts to be prepared. B)

Sorry to write such a novel...venting takes time!! Thanks for listening.

Carol

Well, here's an update to my saga. I got a new suspension leg yesterday. Yes, my guy came in on Mother's Day. It is working pretty good except that there is the wrong valve on the bottom so it doesn't let the air out like it's supposed to.

They have ordered a new one and that should be ready this week. It was weird to get used to. I'm so used to making sure things were locked up. Kind of freaks me out but so far so good. This Icecross liner feels so much better than the Otto Bock.

I do have a question for everyone: I'm having trouble keeping the liner and then an outer liner from rolling down my leg. There is just too much of a difference in volume between my stump and thigh. Any suggestions? I would like whatever you have to offer.

Thanks!

Carol

Well, here's an update to my saga. I got a new suspension leg yesterday. Yes, my guy came in on Mother's Day. It is working pretty good except that there is the wrong valve on the bottom so it doesn't let the air out like it's supposed to.

They have ordered a new one and that should be ready this week. It was weird to get used to. I'm so used to making sure things were locked up. Kind of freaks me out but so far so good. This Icecross liner feels so much better than the Otto Bock.

I do have a question for everyone: I'm having trouble keeping the liner and then an outer liner from rolling down my leg. There is just too much of a difference in volume between my stump and thigh. Any suggestions? I would like whatever you have to offer.

Thanks!

Carol

Carol, not sure if this will help you, but it helped me: I also wear an Icecross (Derma pin liner). I pull it on up over my knee and then at the top, fold the liner over an inch. Does this make sense?

What kind of system are you using? Pin or seal in? I only have experience with the pin system, so my answer may not be applicable to you.

Carol,

I can't help you with the outer liner, but I wear Ossur liners and when the top tends to want to roll over, I will trim down the top of my liner. For me, that always does the trick. It just seems like they are too long for me sometimes....

I deal with a lot of volumn fulctuation through out the course of a day, so, I don't need to be dealing with a liner that won't stay up...

Which Ossur liner did they put you in?

I hope things get sorted out for you soon. It sucks when things don't work right...

I'm waiting for my appointment on Wed. for another downsized socket because of shrinkage. I would of gotten it today but had a family funeral to go to... Sure makes Wed. seem like a long time off.....

Hang in there....

Higgy

I have an Icecross liner but that's about all I know about it. Other than the rolling down this system is working great. It feels so much more like my own leg. I am even driving better! I'm totally keeping my fingers crossed that we finally have a handle on this. My guy ordered some new valves and as soon as they are in we should be good.

I also will be moving to Grand Forks, where he is, July 1st. So that will make things a lot easier also. I'll be able to run in there any time.

Thanks for the input!

Carol

I am having trouble with volume changes during the day and I'm hoping somebody will have some suggestions.

In the morning when I first put my prosthesis on, I usually add one thin sock. As the day goes on, I add more. Things had been going well but now it seems to have changed and the tissue around my stump actually seems to stretch and then the liner starts slipping and the entire prosthesis feels like it is falling off.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix this and my prosthesist is out of ideas. I am getting really tired of having to adjust things and then can only walk a few feet before it all slips down again. Limited mobility is starting to tick me off.

My prosthetist mentioned that if I was a lot older he would just suggest that I use a wheelchair and forget about it, which scared me a bit. I'm not at the point where I want to do that. I have a lot of goals in mind, one of which is learning to run again.

So, you wise people, any tips? I would appreciate anything you have to offer.

Carol

Carol, I'm 62 and if my prosthetist told me to sit in a wheel chair I'd tell him to jump off a cliff - or tell him to park in a chair for the rest of his life. How darfe he - that would be your choice and no one elses. My suggestion is to find a new prosthetist! I'v have had and am having a lot of trouble getting a good fit. My porsthetists said we will just keep at it until we get it right.

JudyH

Guest bearlover

I have had tons of problems with shrinking! I think I may have finally stoped after 3 years! I also have tried many diferent types of systems. Personally I hate suspension sleeves. Such a hassle when you need to add a sock. Also for me my knee is to restricted with them. Even with the new thinner one's. I also tryed the suction system which drove me crazy :unsure: It never worked :angry: I tried for 3 months to make it work. I would take 4 steps and have to re suction all day long! :blink::angry: . So I decided to try the pin system no suspention sleeve! I love the pin system so far :) I have also tried many liners and could nefer get a good fit. Until I finally stoped shrinking. I hope Iam done! We thought I was done and actually shrunk more. But it will be 3 years in July so I think and so dose my prothetist that I am finally stable :) This whole experience is so complex don't you agree! :unsure:

This whole experience is so complex don't you agree! :unsure:

I totally agree! And, it's frustrating!!! :angry:

I've found it best to 'rise above it' and just laugh about it, bearlover...

...otherwise it just drives me nuts! :unsure: ;) :D

Lizzie :)

Guest bearlover

Oh yes Lizzie! And you have to have a sence of humor about it too. I think or you will really go nuts! :D :P :unsure:

Carol

I am looking at using the the Kiss system next since I have severe volume changes over the day. What exactly did you mean in that it didn't work. You say it didn't feel right but could you please elaborate? Were you the first one that your prosthestist fitted with the KISS system?

Regards

Dave

Hey everybody, after a very long 2 day process, I have a leg that is much better. Thanks for the name Marcus, I will keep her in mind!

The KISS system didn't work. Just didn't feel right. I now have a leg that they widened at the bottom so the skin didn't get pushed out (very hard to explain) and the top is kind of like the TBK (?) system that Marcus mentioned earlier.

I spent all day Monday and Tuesday being fitted, walking for a bit and then returning to get things fixed. Then my guy got frustrated with how things weren't progressing, stayed late at work and made a new leg. So far so good. The only problem now is that it is pinching the back of my knee. I'm going to try putting a sock under the liner to see if that helps. I already trimmed the liner down. We'll see how that goes. If it doesn't work I'll be calling them back.

If I stay at the job for next year, I think I will definitely change prosthetists. It is just too much to have to drive back and forth and miss work. I've used all of my sick days this year and even though I know I'm fortunate to have them, I don't like to use them all.

So, there's my update. Things are looking up!

Carol