Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

"The Amputee's New Shoes...."

Hi, All...

This one's also been posted on my "other regular forum," but I wanted to share it with the gang here, too.....

Okay, it's a "girlie" thing... I love shoes! Always have. It's the most frustrating part of this new stage of my life, having to base shoe shopping on heel height and toe box depth. But every so often, I get lucky.............

On my recent Vegas run (three women with time on their hands and money in their wallets!) we made a rest-stop at the outlet malls in Barstow, CA. (Yes, guys, for a woman, outlet-mall shopping IS a "rest stop!") One thing your basic outlet mall has in abundance is shoe stores, and I couldn't resist taking a look-see. And there... in NineWest... on the top shelf... DRESS FLATS! In my size! In a variety of colors! ON SALE!!!

Of course I couldn't resist... I simply HAD to try on! I did have the sense to try on my right foot first... no point in trying to put a new shoe on the prosthesis if it's not going to fit on the other side, after all. And fit, it did... perfectly! So now comes the challenge.......

Outlet-mall shoe stores don't usually offer much in the way of personalized service, but I guess it had been a quiet day because not one, but TWO, clerks came to see if they could assist me. I explained my situation and asked if they had a shoehorn available to help me with the prosthesis side. They went to look for one. (Remember when shoehorns were one of life's staple items?) They returned with one flimsy plastic shoehorn and a piece of broken ruler. Okay.... fair enough.....

One of the clerks wanted to treat the prosthesis as she would any customer's foot... of course, she couldn't manage to make any progress in fitting me. "I think I need to take off the leg to do it," I suggested. "You're just saying that to freak me out; right?" she replied. The other clerk stepped in: "No, I have a friend with a prosthetic leg; that's how he does it, too." So off comes the leg, out come the shoehorn and the ruler-fragment, and the battle is on between a sweet little black leather number and my rigid left foot!

By now my friends have joined in: five women, one artificial leg, one shoe, and LOTS of noise and encouragement: "It's almost there!" "I don't think it's going to fit.." "Of COURSE it will fit; I'll MAKE it fit!" "If it goes on, you realize you've bought it; right?" "If it goes on, I'm buying a pair in every color!" "Maybe a half-size larger?" "No, then it will be too big on the right side." "Try it from THIS angle!" "Sue's almost got it!" "Go, Sue! Go, Sue!"............

"IT'S ON!"

And it was. Cheers and high-fives all around. And yes, I bought a pair in every color and brought them home to my nice, long, heavy-duty metal shoehorn, which makes getting them on and off ever-so-much easier. My shoe wardrobe has doubled in size... not much, but for me it's grand!

take care... cherylm

I totally get it, Cheryl. I'm glad you got what you wanted. When you find what works, get 'em in every color!

Cheryl that was awesome!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Fantastic Cheryl! I'm going shoe shopping next week and I hope I have the same luck!!

Carol

Let's see Cheryl

One wife, three daughters, one daughter-in-law, five granddaughters, two granddaughters-in-law, and 3 great granddaughters. :o :o

By last count, that's 15 women in my family, (compared to only 10 of us men). What you are saying, does sound familiar. :lol: :lol:

And yes, being originally from Southern California, we have made many "rest stops", in Barstow - and elsewhere. :rolleyes::unsure:

Cheryl,

WooHoo I'm so happy for you. I hate shoe shopping so I don't do it to often my favorite shoe is a running shoe and sometimes I even wear them with dresses.

Guest bearlover

Don't you just love the responce in a shoe store when you try on shoes. And the sales person almost freaks when she or he knows you have a "fake" foot!!??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Cheryl--where did you get the long heavy duty shoehorn?? I just have a short one and would love to find something better.

Caroln

I "inherited" the shoehorn from my dad when he passed on. I'm actually the one who bought it for him originally, but it was so long ago that I can't remember exactly where! It WAS a catalog purchase, though... I remember that much... and I THINK it was through one of those "specialty gadget" places like Brookstone or Sharper Image. Someplace catering to guys who love "gear" at any rate.......

I also have a couple of metal shoehorns that are about 8" long, which I like a LOT. ("Dad's" is one meant for trying on shoes while seated, if you can't readily bend at the waist; it is about 18" long.) I got each of those at a real, live, full-service shoe store: bought one... the other was given to me as a "bonus" because I've given them so much business over the years. (Now THERE'S a scary thought!)

Wish I had more details, but I hope this helps a little!

Cheryl--where did you get the long heavy duty shoehorn?? I just have a short one ...
... Your prosthetist can also get heavy duty shoe horns from foot manufacturers.

See, I just knew Marcus would have a long one :P :lol:

I got a heavy duty shoe horn from College Park. It was at my first ACA conference. It is a huge help in getting into my shoes quickly.

I have a really long one that I got from PT when I was going. I also got one at the ACA conf last week that's about 10 inches long.

I think I'm about to get Muz'd....

While we are boasting I have got a flexible plastic yellow one and it's over a foot in length, easy to use slides in easy when bending over! :lol:

PJ