Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Brenda

Surf

I DID IT! :D :D

One of my friends talked me into learning how to surf so off we went today. I rented a surfboard for the day and now I'm hooked so I'll be looking for my own.

At first I was having trouble and finally figured out that I was to far forward on the board so once I moved back things started to go much smoother (I wasn't diving anymore) :o

I didn't get to stand on the board but I was able to get to my knees about 6 times and of course I belly surfed several times (to many times to count). :P

I'M A HAPPY CAMPER TODAY! :D :P

If the surf is good tomorrow I'm going again. :D

Oh Brenda that's too cool.

I can still remember standing on a board for the first time.

Not something you forget in a hurry :D

Well done!!!!!!!!

OK, from someone who lives in North Dakota, that sounds like something unbelieveable!! Way to go Brenda! I am extremely jealous. The biggest waves we have come from our lakes which would do nothing for people who surf.

Carol

Fab Brenda - Well Done.

BEWARE - It's very addictive- but so much fun!!!! :D

Enjoy it. :P

Sue :huh:

Hey Bren - you certainly are leading a charmed life these days. Way to go!

Any chance of getting a pic?

:) :)

I DID IT! I DID IT!

The surf was so awesome today in the am so of course I talked my friend into going to the beach.

This guy was there with his wife and he gave me some lessons (free) and I was able to stand on the board with one foot and the other was on my knee. I did that a couple of times. I was able to knee surf several times and of course the belly surfing which was loads of fun.

You're rigbt Joe nothing like it in the world I had a blast yesterday and today. :P

Sue I'm hooked! :D :D

Ally yes I'm living a charmed life right now and loving it! I'll try to get some pictures next time I'm out no promises though. :D

Brenda, so happy for you. It really DOES sound like you are having a second childhood -- or even better than that cause now you are old enough to really DO stuff! :D Keep on!

Dang it the surf has been to choppy and big for me this last weekend so I didn't go surfing. I have a surf clinic that I'm signed up for next weekend though so I'm looking forward to that. :D

Good going Brenda

I'm a southern Californaia boy, born and raised on the ocean, (Santa Monica/Malibu to Santa Barbara - born in San Diego), but I've never been on a board in my life.

We spent most everyday in the ocean, after school and on, but surfboards during the early '50's were just something that we heard about from Hawaii. (I graduated from High School in 1954).

We used to body surf (belly) however, all day long. I believe that boards started coming over here in the late '50's or '60's. I was out of the army and married by then, and spent all my time working or with the family.

I've always wanted to try it, but now I live in Missouri. No ocean here. Oh well, the body surfing was - to us - just as much fun.

That's amazing!! :D There's nothing like finding something you love to do. I'm really impressed about the clinic, too. The things you are doing show alot of courage on your part, and I definitely dig hearing about it! Keep it up, and don't forget the pics! :D :D

Tomorrow I'm going to an all day surf clinic. I'm so excited the lady that owns the shop called me the other day and the news paper will be there covering the event and when she told them that she has an amputee signed up they want to interview me. We also talked about surfboards and she has one that she is setting aside for me so that I can purchase it. I got my income tax check in yesterday so I'm going home with a board. :D

I will have my daughter take some picutes of me so I can post I promise. The only thing that will keep me from doing it will be lack of WAVES!

Tomorrow I'm going to an all day surf clinic. I'm so excited the lady that owns the shop called me the other day and the news paper will be there covering the event and when she told them that she has an amputee signed up they want to interview me. We also talked about surfboards and she has one that she is setting aside for me so that I can purchase it. I got my income tax check in yesterday so I'm going home with a board. :D

I will have my daughter take some picutes of me so I can post I promise. The only thing that will keep me from doing it will be lack of WAVES!

Way to go, girl! :D

Please do post pix for us to see!

(Now please waft some of that warm air up this way; after weeks of warm sun, we are now cool and dark! Yuck!)

WooHoo! I DID IT! I actually stood up several times. Yippee! I'm hooked.

I didn't get the surfboard today but will be be getting one on Tue. :P

I was interviewed and it's supposed to run tomorrow so I'll post the link here. My daughter took some pictures and after I download them to my computer I'll post them. I had an AWESOME day!

FABULOUS, Brenda!! I, like Jim, am an old belly-surfer... the boards were around at the time, but I didn't have the balance OR the nerve for it!

Jim, I think you're right about when surfing hit California "big-time"... I had a friend back in the '60s who built the old-style wooden boards in his garage. Big, bulky, and HEAVY, but they were beautiful to look at, and he had a LOT of fun with them.

It's a great article, Brenda! :D

You must be pleased to bits with yourself...B)...and quite right too!

Lizzie :)

You never cease to amaze me ;)

cheer-animated.gifthumbsup-smilie.gif

Looks like life is a beach these days huh? :P