Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Afet

Guess what I did today?

OK, so as you can guess from the title, I have something I want to share, but wasn't quite sure where I should put it.

I feel kinda stupid putting it here though, because I am not an athlete or a "high achiever" .. but I did something today which I feel is a major accomplishment ... for me.

OK, so you all ready to hear it?

Here goes...

Today, for the first time in over 3 years...

I took a shower ...

STANDING UP!!!! :D :D :D

Wooooohooooo!

I was issued with my water activity legs a few weeks ago, so thought I'd better test them out.

And Oh My God, I was standing up!!! B) B)

For some of you, this may sound so ridiculous, but I had resigned myself to a life of sitting down in the shower (on a bath board or shower chair) which, I have to say, NEVER feels right <_<

So there I am today, STANDING in the shower, not quite believing it. Excited at the thought of shampooing and rinsing my hair :blink: whilst standing up!! :D

And Ally, believe me girl, along with the screams of happiness, I was doing a happy dance all for myself in there :lol: ;)

Hi Afet,

Wow....... well done.

It should be in with all those amputee accomplishments, I have always said, it's doing the little day to day things that are important, and bring us such joy.

I can almost hear the splashing from here :D

Lynne

whoohoo!! know how THAT feels babe! well done, (it's nice when you can wash yer bits properly isn't it?) xx

It's definitely an accomplishment... and one of which I am QUITE envious!

Congratulations!!!

Afet,

WooHoo for you. I can see the happy dance. I'm with ya! Although I like sitting when I take my showers what can I say I'm lazy. LOL Actually most times I'm kneeling on my stool (being a BK I can do that). :P

Oh Afet - that's so fantastic, I bet you feel like a new person :)

Doesn't it just make you realise how important the little things are..........

Make sure you run the water out at least a few times over.

I'm wrapt for you

Mel :o

You saying I'm dirty?!! :lol: :P

Wait a minute ... nobody answer that!! :lol:

Thanks everyone. I knew you'd understand how big a thing this was for me today ;)

Hey, who ever thought we could get so excited about taking a shower, huh?! :ph34r::unsure:

Mel :o

You saying I'm dirty?!! :lol: :P

Wait a minute ... nobody answer that!! :lol:

Thanks everyone. I knew you'd understand how big a thing this was for me today ;)

Hey, who ever thought we could get so excited about taking a shower, huh?! :huh::ph34r:

I'm not saying a word :ph34r::unsure:

Afet, I totally understand! One of the first dissapointments after my amp was realizing I'd likely have to sit on that stupid shower chair for the rest of my life! (Now I realize this aint necessarily so, but you know...)

I thought I heard someone singing in the shower somewhere way far away :lol:

What can I tell you kid???? I am soo freakin happy for you! If it makes you feel great then how the hell can it be considered a small thing.?If you're happy then I'm happy for you. :D

Now....me being me....I'd have to think that you know who would appreciate seeing eye to eye with you in that shower. That alone is a pretty good reason for those water legs. :P

Congratulations Afet!!!!!!!

Love ya,

Linda

Hey, who ever thought we could get so excited about taking a shower, huh?! :huh::blink:

Depends whether you're alone in the shower or not :unsure: :P

Well done Afet, a great achievement.

Hey, who ever thought we could get so excited about taking a shower, huh?! :huh::blink:

Who've you been talking to Rob?? :huh::blink:

And anyway, it can be quite fun in there on your own too... ;)

Who've you been talking to Rob?? :huh::blink:

Not been talking to anyone Afet, why do you have something to share?

And anyway, it can be quite fun in there on your own too... ;)

Yep you are right and seated or standing is just as good ;)

Oops, back to the quote tutorial post I must go.

Actually most times I'm kneeling on my stool (being a BK I can do that). :P

Yeugh!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations Afet ... Should keep the flies away now ;) :P :lol:

Actually most times I'm kneeling on my stool (being a BK I can do that). :P

Yeugh!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations Afet ... Should keep the flies away now ;) :P :lol:

we can always rely on YOU to find the angle can't we? :P :lol:

we can always rely on YOU to find the angle can't we? :P :lol:

I must admit I have been complimented on that skill before ;) ;) ;)

Hey, who ever thought we could get so excited about taking a shower, huh?! :huh::unsure:
.I'd have to think that you know who would appreciate seeing eye to eye with you in that shower.

I have no idea of what you speak Linda, but it sure sounds like a possible reason for the excitement :lol: :lol:

Hey well done Afet

Congatulations on your happy showering Afet. So much for playing with your rubber duckie while you splish-spash taking a bath. I have been showering standing up for a while now, but still enjoy a soothing and realxing bath on the weekends when I have more time not having to rush. But I recall the feeling of independance that I got when I first started showering standing up after my amputation. I also recall a anxiety attack that I got sitting down in the shower after amputation. May have been due to the narcotics that I was taking for pain control that caused me to feel clostrophobic and fearful. Sure does seem like a long time ago at the moment. But getting back to what was said, when you are happy, I am happy.

((xx)) :rolleyes:

Hi Afet

I'm not sure how I missed this before, but all the same, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I sit most of the time in the shower and I know exactly what you mean. Although I can stand on one foot, time is limited and I would love to just stand there and soak! I'm a shower person and I very frequently stay in till the hot water runs out. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm very glad to hear of your accomplishment, just watch out for the slick floor! :P

1 foot + slick shower = Dammit, not again! :huh: