Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
doggie

Three 'things' you would........

Hi everyone

Sadly as I make this post there are those whom will soon lose a limb and become an amputee. Perhaps, as in my case I knew and it was a relief when it happened. But there are no doubt others whom by way of accident, illness etc whom may only see a bleak, unknown future.

So, what three 'things' would you say to someone who is in that position?

They could be, to give support, advice in coping, practical advice etc.

Or is there something someone told you that made a 'difference'?

Something that shows the light at the end of the tunnel?

Last Friday, a year ago; I was discharged from hospital back home. And I have been reflecting on the past years achievments, the highs and lows. Which was the reason for this post.

As ever curious

Steve

Lets see, the three things I would say:

1) Take things one day at a time, so no to become to overwhelmed.

2) Learn to accept your new limb, it works much better that way.

3) Concentrate your energy on what you can do, not what you can't do.

I learned from my PT, that with a positive attitude, nothing is impossible. ;)

Sheila

Keep smiling :)

1) Find the best Prosthetist that will help you achive all of your goals even if you want to run and if the prosthesis doesn't fit make him/her keep trying until it does after all it's your leg.

2) Find a Physical therapist that has knowledge in amputees, prosthetics and gait training of amputees.

3) One day at a time don't rush things.

I am adding 4.

4) Practice, Practice, Practice, Patients, Patients and more Patients. And being an amputee is not the end of the world because if it was then my time would be up.

Brenda

I have only been doing this a short time, but so far the three most important things for me have been:

1. A sense of humor

2. A support system, don't shut yourself off from everyone

3. A good prosthetist.

These have been very valuable to me. I just got my first prosthesis today and it is very strange but great to be up and about!!

Caroln

1. Don't try and get out of bad and walk away without first putting your leg on.

2. Laugh very very loudly in an animated way every time somebody says 'hop to it', or some such phrase that you 'never' heard before.

3. Remember to keep reminding people you're an amputee, because they WILL forget (it ain't bad).

I would have to say the 3 things that have helped me everyday would be:

1) A positive outlook-

For every 1 thing you can't do, there's 5 more you can-always look at the bright side-a bit cliche', but true. ;)

2) Patience & Understanding-

I always have to remind myself when I see someone staring or little kids whispering, that I was that way once. If you can't be understanding to the what they are thinking, then you will become very bitter. They don't mean any harm, they're just curious.

3) Faith-

I'm not trying to push religion on anyone, but my faith in Christ has truly sustained me through my amputation and the many trials I have faced since then. I know in my heart that God didn't do this to me, He did it FOR me. I just have to wait to see what that reason was. Maybe I'm meant to be an inspiration to someone, or to be a teacher, or maybe even just a good friend. But my "disability" has opened my eyes up to so much more that I wouldn't have seen had I not lost my leg. So whatever you're religion or beliefs may be, having a higher power and knowing that there is a reason for everything will truly help.

:) :)

Hi everyone

very good advice, of which I would have been pleased at being given before I had my op.

Especially, 'don't get out of bed and walk away without first putting your leg on'!

I did that a few times before I got my leg. It got to the point that I put my wheelchair against my side of the bed to stop me from doing that. :unsure: And still manage to pick a 'fight' with wheelchair a couple of times. :D

Best regards

Steve

WOW, Amazes me that they have all this stuff to help people out, Physical therapy, prostetist options, and forums, too bad it wasn't around when I was new at this! Consider yourself LUCKY

Hey Steven,

Little late on the response. Work has gotten in the way of my idle web surfing and chat time.

Here are my 3 things:

1- Laugh at your self! :lol: I love it when people bump into my "leg" or step on my "toe" and apologize for hurting me...my reply, no problem, I didn't feel a thing, really! People don't know how to respond.

2- Be true to yourself and be proud of who and what you are. The only person that you have to make happy or impress is you. It doesn't matter what others think (this one took me a little longer to learn)

3-Learn what's important in life, mine goes 1- GOD, 2- Family and Friends, everything else gets lumped together because with out the first 2 nothing else matters. Found a great quote today for this one "Without faith, nothing is possible, With It, nothing is impossible" - Mary McLeod Bethune, American Educator