Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Jules

Friction Sores/Hard Skin/Corns?

Blimey I haven't been on here for ages...sorry folks

I'm depserately hoping someone can help.

I've been really suffering with what appear to be corns/hard skin where my stump gets the most impact - knee and behind my knee where my socket sits. I wear a thick sock and juzo to keep my leg on, my stump sweats too much for iceross, although I have one for running.

Does anyone else suffer with anything similar? I'm going away in 6 weeks to get married and want to be able to enjoy day trips rather than avoid them for fear of my leg getting so sore I have to rest for two days after!

Thanks

Julia x

Welcome to the forum, Julia! :D

Do you know that they're definately corns? If it's definately corns & hard skin, you need to use an emollient cream on the area twice a day...something like E45 or Diprobase. You should also get that socket checked!

Oh...and have a lovely day! I'm sure you'll look absolutely gorgeous! B)

Lizzie :)

Hi Lizzie

Thanks for your message...I'm going to ring the hospital first thing and get my leg checked, it's getting me down so much now...

Only 6 weeks to go...! So much to do before then!

Julia x

Good luck Jules :)

See your favorite Leggist ASPCA.

ASPCA: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animal... :blink: :lol:

Guest bearlover

I also get a ruff spot whic is what I call it..Like a callus..My leg guy makes a adjustment whear the sopt is. And I get relief.. :)

I've been really suffering with what appear to be corns/hard skin where my stump gets the most impact - knee and behind my knee where my socket sits. I wear a thick sock and juzo to keep my leg on, my stump sweats too much for iceross, although I have one for running.

Does anyone else suffer with anything similar? I'm going away in 6 weeks to get married and want to be able to enjoy day trips rather than avoid them for fear of my leg getting so sore I have to rest for two days after!

Thanks

Julia x

f all the other suggestions don't work or you don't have time to get them done there is a porduct called Second

Skin. It is a moist burn pad 2x3 inches it has saved me when a blister or sore spot reared up until I could get to my prosthetist.

JudyH

Guest bearlover

Thanks

Julia x

f all the other suggestions don't work or you don't have time to get them done there is a porduct called Second

Skin. It is a moist burn pad 2x3 inches it has saved me when a blister or sore spot reared up until I could get to my prosthetist.

JudyH

Thanks Judy!! I do get a ocassional blister and never though of that! :)

It's all in the fit. Stop the friction and you stop the problems. Instead of adding socks which can make your problem worse, see a practitioner to identify the specific spots that need shimming. All that suffering may be cured with a penny size of Pe-Lite. All the lotions, notions and potions in the world will not correct a bad fit. See your favorite Leggist ASPCA.

I definitely agree with everything that Joe has said here. (Except for the ASPCA <_< )

Fit is E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. Your prosthesis MUST, and CAN fit your socket comfortably. If it doesn't, it isn't your fault. This is why the CP's get paid the big bucks :blink:. It is their job to make it fit right. That is what you pay them for.

I have little truck with incompetent doctors or prosthetists, and God know that I've met my share of both. But in fairness to their profession, let me say that I don't have any truck with incompetant electricians or carpenters either. They are abundant in all fields, and as soon as people become aware that prosthetists are like any other profession, and have the "Good, the Bad, and the.... in-between, (I bet you thought that I was going to say Ugly :) ), they will start looking out after themselves and demanding quality work.

Okay - I'm off the soap box - for now.

Dont hate me Jim.......or Joe ;)

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! Besides I didn't know that either of you fit in that category. On top of it, I was gerneralizing - But you knew that. :lol:

Most of my 43 operations were due to "complications" from mixed diagnosies, or botched operations, which left me with a few pieces either missing or inoperable, that shouldn't be. Top that with a prosthetist that kept me in misery and pain for 4-5 years before I changed to a competent one, does not make me a happy camper, and when I hear of a fellow amputee having problems that, (to me), should be fixed by a competent prosthetist, I do tend to get on my soap box. I've moved on,and don't normally live in the past, but like the ones I have read here who still harbor ill feelings for the idiot's that hit them, or caused their accident, I do get verbose at times.

Sorry about that. I'll try to be nicer next time. :blink:

I bet you thought that I was going to say Ugly

That can happen too, Jim :P

Thanks

Julia x

Hi Julia

Apart from getting the limb checked, because you might be putting undue pressure on some spots, I would suggest a good moisturising cream, think I have read other posts suggesting certain creams. Also, if you are only wearing sock have you tried a silipos sock, which might make the socket a bit more comfy.

Have a lovely wedding, take a tip from me and try and make it that you that you don't end up walking miles, bit like we did, as the place we stayed turned out to be in the middle of nowhere and we had no transport, ended up coming home early with a very sore leg.

I have little truck with incompetent doctors or prosthetists, I don't have any truck with incompetant electricians or carpenters either.

Just wondering...... where did you get the LITTLE TRUCKS?

:D :lol: :rolleyes: Just an old fashioned expression, "little or no truck with", meaning "little or no use for", or "little or no tolerance for ". I guess that I was just talking mentally. B) B)

Guest bearlover

Just wondering...... where did you get the LITTLE TRUCKS?

:D :lol: :rolleyes: Just an old fashioned expression, "little or no truck with", meaning "little or no use for", or "little or no tolerance for ". I guess that I was just talking mentally. B) B)

Hmmm! you learn something new everyday!

I also get a ruff spot which is what I call it..Like a callus..

I get one too. It got so bad last summer (too hot and sweaty i guess) that i spent more time in my wheelchair than i did on my leg. It got better just before new year when i started using 'cracked heel repair cream' made by scholl. I put a little dab on every night now.

Hi Julia,

As has been suggested already the fit is everything, however what I do if I get a friction sore, is cut out a patch of allevyn compression which is a polyurethane foam dressing made by smith & nephew and put it on the sore area and hold it in place with a tegaderm (both can be got over any chemist counter) this allows me to carry on with what ever I’m doing and the soreness/ pain stops straight away.

However this is a quick fix that will allow you to carry on, but it will no way fix the problem, hope this helps …..Mick

Hi Julia,

As has been suggested already the fit is everything, however what I do if I get a friction sore, is cut out a patch of allevyn compression which is a polyurethane foam dressing made by smith & nephew and put it on the sore area and hold it in place with a tegaderm (both can be got over any chemist counter) this allows me to carry on with what ever I’m doing and the soreness/ pain stops straight away.

However this is a quick fix that will allow you to carry on, but it will no way fix the problem, hope this helps …..Mick

Mick, does the tegaderm stay in place? Everytime I try to use it, it moves or "for a better way to put it"

gums up into a mess. :(

I have one callous, and that is on the bottom of my stump, right over the end of the tibia. I either peel it back with my fingernail, or trim it down with a razor blade. This is necessary only about once every month or two. - or even three, depending on my activity level.

Guest bearlover

I use Activr.flex band-aids They are ultra thin and they do not intrefear with the liner. I use them for a blister of sore.