Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
naylor

stump itching

hi there folks been to physio today still not being able to go in ppam aid as i have to thicker bandage on physio about killed me with the exercises today (ah ah) stump still leaking a little but today it has rally been itching both sides have near enough healed its just bootom of stump 8% sloughy but d/n comes tomorrow i have now some aquaform to put on it as stump is open at bottom a little also a little inflamed but been on flucloxicillin since friday 1, 500mg, 4 times a day so hopefully doing trick any bye for now ian

Ian, when I was a new amputee, my stump itched like crazy! I thought I would go mad from the itching...

This lasted for awhile (maybe a month?).. and while it was going on, my skin just peeled and peeled. Dry flakey peeling. And itching (lord, I feel for you!). Have your doctor prescribe some hydrocortizone cream. It doesn't take it completely away, but it helps. If you are really going nuts with the itching, ice packs wrapped in a towel will help more than anything. Be sure to put some material between you and the ice pack...

Naylor

Years ago one of my doctors prescribed Hydrocortizone and Lotrimon mix. (40/60, I think). I had a rash from the seeping of my wounds. This worked miracles. Today, I still keep it around for any rash. Takes it right away.

I also had open sores on my stump from my surgeries. They took a skin graft from my thigh, but it still left about a quarter size hole. For almost a month, I had to rinse this out with hydrogen peroxide and debride it twice a day. It eventually healed on its own, but they wouldn't fit me for a leg until it did.

hi there folks been to physio today still not being able to go in ppam aid as i have to thicker bandage on physio about killed me with the exercises today (ah ah) stump still leaking a little but today it has rally been itching both sides have near enough healed its just bootom of stump 8% sloughy but d/n comes tomorrow i have now some aquaform to put on it as stump is open at bottom a little also a little inflamed but been on flucloxicillin since friday 1, 500mg, 4 times a day so hopefully doing trick any bye for now ian

Hi Ian

As always, you need to get your District Nurse to check the itching...but, often if there's localised itching, the area is healing. Crossed fingers that it's healing and good news! :)

Lizzie :)

Ian - I feel for you. The antibiotics made me very sick. When I take my liner off I itch like I have been sleeping on a pile of flees. My druggist had me get an over the counter anti itch lotion. FWhen I take my leg off I wash it immediately and apply thlis lotion. It helps but what helps the most is the Comfort Ag liner that goes on under my liner. It is as soft as a kitten, soaks up the sweat and provides extra cushion. AND they will send you a free sample. JudyH