Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Awesome Blue

Don't you just hate it when ....

You're a great role model, Jim! :D

I'd hope that if enough people behaved like you, then some of your impecable manners would eventually rub off on them - 'lead by example'. :)

Lizzy

2400 years ago, Socrates was quoted saying that the children of that time had no respect for their elders, or authority. Each generation wonders how the world is going to survive with the next generation coming up, and the new one thinks that the old ones just don't know anything. I had to remind our grandson, that it was mine and my fathers generation that invented this computer that he is such a technician on.

We all stand on the shoulders of Giants - and it's share of idiots. The only truism is" Life goes on " Maybe just not as we know it.

Dear Lizzie2 & Jim,

as far as anti-social behaviour and today's young generation are concerned, thinks can hardly have

been worse at any time in the history of our 'civilisation'.

Must have something to do with:

children being totally neglected, left to themselves to watch too much television and violent computer games without guidance;

parents, relatives and teachers who dismally fail to be the role models that they should be, often impeded

by a so-called 'political correctness' that has been allowed to run haywire.

an ideologically inspired noncommital attitude towards so-called 'old-fashioned' values such as:

politeness, chivalry, discipline & self-discipline, duty & honour.

Without role models - personal ones like my amputee grandfather, uncle & English master -

and idealistic ones - like the ideal of the gentleman, and countless historical role models

I could never have mastered a life of chronic depressions, and a life-threatening crisis brought

on by a cancer, called sarcoma.

I suppose, the only thing we non-teachers can do is lead by example.

Or as they say: The situation is hopeless, but it ain't serious.

Kind regards,

Mike

How about tellamarketers who ALWAYS call at dinner time! Or the most incovient time! :huh:

Hi Bearlover,

You're right. These telemarketers seem to be a worldwide scourge.

I DO feel sorry for the miserable employees though.

I would not last one day in that kind of job.

I try to be politely negative.

But, how do I hate speaking to a computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put down the phone immediately.

Kind regards,

MIke RHD

Guest bearlover

When people abuse handicapp parking. People wh think they can park there because "It"s only for 5 minutes" mean while a disabled person can't find a spot. Or people who park there with no handicapped tag or licence plate to do so. <_< :huh::rolleyes:

as far as anti-social behaviour and today's young generation are concerned, thinks can hardly have

Sorry Mike. While there's no excuse for bad behaviour, poor manners etc I can't agree whole heartedly with that generalisation.

Remember those nicely turned out Hitler youth of the 30's and 40's. Very smart, nicely disciplined murdering little b******s. Then there was the Mao's Red Army who'd turn in their own grandparents for not toeing the line.

The pitched battles between mods and rockers on bank holidays in the UK, Student riots of the 60's??? Conscription didn't help things it just turned out well trained thugs like the Krays. I think we just tend to look back with rose coloured spectacles and fondly imagine that things were better than they really were.

When people abuse handicapp parking. People wh think they can park there because "It"s only for 5 minutes" mean while a disabled person can't find a spot. Or people who park there with no handicapped tag or licence plate to do so. <_< :huh::rolleyes:

Think I mentioned this somewhere before, but I saw a sticker placed on the windscreen of such an offending vehicle which read...

Stupidity is not a Disability. ..

Very apt I thought, but then they were probably too stupid to work out what it actually meant :angry:

you tell your date that she looks radiant. . .and then find out she's from Chernobyl.

Now that is humor! Good one Marcus!!!! :lol:

Don't you mean.......ALLY gators? :huh:

Linda

Really good one, Linda!

See, Cat... Marcus does it too! (Of course, I'm not sure if that's a GOOD thing.......!)

Don't you just hate it when ....

At the most inopportune or embarrassing moment you get that, must scratch, no matter what, itch inside of your liner.

Happened to me the other day whilst meeting a potentially important new client, had me squirming every which way to try and relieve the itch.

Think by the time our meeting had finished, my eyes were crossed :wacko: and I had no bottom lip left.

I went back to the car as fast as I could, took my leg off and had the biggest, bestest (* oh yes there is) scratch you could imagine :D

* For those of you who were about to say .. "there is no such word" ... well there is cos I just used it :lol:

Sorry Mike. While there's no excuse for bad behaviour, poor manners etc I can't agree whole heartedly with that generalisation.

Remember those nicely turned out Hitler youth of the 30's and 40's. Very smart, nicely disciplined murdering little b******s. Then there was the Mao's Red Army who'd turn in their own grandparents for not toeing the line.

The pitched battles between mods and rockers on bank holidays in the UK, Student riots of the 60's??? Conscription didn't help things it just turned out well trained thugs like the Krays. I think we just tend to look back with rose coloured spectacles and fondly imagine that things were better than they really were.

Dear Muz,

again I beg to differ.

I was NOT exactly thinking of an extreme example like the Hitler Youth,

but rather of the traditional values that used to be 'taught' and engrained at every decent

British public school or the three Service Academies, and by practicing character forming

traditional sports like Cricket & Rugby.

I must admit I have not been to Britain since 1973, and may be out of touch, but I do get

to watch the news on British television.

Of course, there is no denying that there has always been a certain degree of unruliness,

violence & hooliganism, but I am convinced it has never been as widespread as it is today.

And this assumption is by no means confined to Britain, but to the whole of Europe.

May even be called a worldwide malaise.

And the root cause, I believe, is the decline and dissolution of the family.

Kind regards,

Mike RHD

P.S. I am aware there is definitely something quixotic about me.

P.P.S. C'mon! National Service is not to blame for the Krays.

P.P.S. C'mon! National Service is not to blame for the Krays.

Ah never say it did but it probably instilled a bit of discipline in them and maybe helped them to become gang leaders rather than just another couple of petty criminals. Mind you using them as an example I believe they had rather strong family bonds albeit mainly with their mum.

The Hitler Youth I believe, were just an extreme example of things which were going on in the world at that time particularly in Europe. Most countries then had some form of extremists running amock and the SS had no shortage of volunteers in many of the countries they occupied.

The character forming sports that you mention don't cut much ice with me I'm afraid. When I was at school if you were hopeless at football and cricket you were treated as some kind of sub human. Instead of being inclusive I found sport to be elitist. The teaching effort was spent on those who could play rather than encouraging the crap ones like myself to become more involved.

Anyway I've rambled on enough for now :)

PS Take the news from the UK with a pinch of salt. Good news never sells newspapers ... or airtime :D

See, Cat... Marcus does it too! (Of course, I'm not sure if that's a GOOD thing.......!)

I've lost count of the times that I've gone to the office with one sock :)

....or no knickers.......... :huh::unsure:

Don't you just hate it when you make a microwave dinner, sit down to eat it, and the middle is still frozen solid?

Or you make your first cup of coffee in the morning and you take a mouthful of cold stuff 'cause you forgot to boil the kettle.... <_<

And don't you just LOVE this thread???

:) :D

Clever Mike!

Or when you get a pizza delivered and it is stone cold :( ?

I always order my pizza without rocks. :)

Would they be biblical rocks :huh::blink:

Don't you just hate it when you get cramp in your stump :unsure:

Don't you just hate it when people try to rid the english language of adjectives and nouns in a misguided attempt to make everybody equal. :(

Equal in which way? That is the question. And I definitely am not talking about races, cultures, beliefs, religions, or ethnicity.

Now...don't you just hate it...

...when you're chatting to a really sweet friend on Yahoo and your hubby pours a pint glass (yes folks, A PINT) of cold water...that you were just about to drink...over you AND your keyboard? :unsure:

I'm off to dry off now...(mutter...mutter)...

Lizzie :)

By the way, WE CAUGHT THAT RASCAL. It was close to a 20 pound raccoon. It had gotten under the house and then worked it's way up an old abondoned chiminey into the attic, (we had it removed from outside when we redid the roof years ago.)

Animal control took it out in the country and let it loose. Since it was a "she", we are keeping our ears open for a nest somewhere.

Oh, the fun of country living.... Semi-country. We are on the edge of a town of about 40,000. Squirrels, racoon's, possum's, and deer run all through our property. Our back yard looks like and aviary with all the different kinds of birds. We've always had a dog, but since our last one, (a Sheltie) died, we decided to not get attached at this stage, so the birds and the rest are our pets.

Guest bearlover

Just so you all wondered what I meant by What do yo want on your tomb stone? Tomb stone is a name of a frozzen pizza here. And it is a commerical. So you don't think I'm crazier than I acually am!