Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Mr_Phil

Hello! Your newest member writes in

Here's a late hello to both of you--welcome! I'm a rbk from North Dakota. I'll join the cheering section with Ally.

Carol

Hello Mr Phil and Bearlover,

Glad you could join us, you'll really like it here, but be warned some of us are a little crazy........no names, you'll soon find out :D

Lynne

Here's a late hello to both of you--welcome! I'm a rbk from North Dakota. I'll join the cheering section with Ally.

Carol

Ecellent! Another member for the cheering section!!

I'm working real hard at building up a program for you guys to cheer for!!

Well, since this is my little corner of the board, I'll share some of my latest news to inspire my cheering section.

I have enrolled in ice hockey goalie training at a rink here in Connecticut.

This program is very interesting as it is offers 1 on 1 training....just me and the coach.

For me, even as crazy as I am...this is a huge step forward.

Never before would I have enrolled in such an intensive program...b/c I'd worry that as an amputee I'd have to ask the coach to alter my training too much...making it too troublesome for him.

But, these days, I want that close knit involvement...I want the practice, the extra skating time.

It is all related...my interest in working with amputees in a support role, my future ice hockey coaching position, myown hockey training....all the things that matter to me, really do stem from my life as an amputee.

For anyone reading this...each day, all we can ask for is the ability to accept ourselves more and more.

No matter how recent or long ago our amputations were, no matter the stares, uncomfortable questions or painful remarks....it all builds us up into who we want to be...only if we can accept who we ARE first.

More updates to come!

How are you all tonight?

What did you guys do today that made you feel proud of yourselves?

Hi Phil

welcome to this forum, where you can meet all kinds of people from all over the world.

I am a RBKA. Nice that you joined us, have a good time here, jump in wherever.

Lesley

Guest bearlover

Hi Phil, That sounds awesome! You sound like a real inspiration! I'm a newbie. I'm a L/bk for almoost 3 years now come this July. So I'm failey new at this myself. Just want to say Hi also! :)

Hi Phil

welcome to this forum, where you can meet all kinds of people from all over the world.

I am a RBKA. Nice that you joined us, have a good time here, jump in wherever.

Lesley

Thanks for the welcome!

I'd definitely like to e-mail with you sometime perhaps!

I've never really met any other younger amputees...so, this is just a great chance to get talking!

Hello Mr Phil and Bearlover,

I just want to say hi both and welcome to the forum, you will be at home in no time.

I am a right A/K amputee since Nov 05, cause = cancer, so still learning.

Love Yvonne

:blink:

Thanks for the welcome! HOpe to hear from you soon!!

Guest bearlover

Thnaks so much Yvonne! I'm a L/bk Due to trama and a congential birth defect. Many, many operations only to lose the leg in the long run due to a bone infection. Funny thing is the Dr.'s suggested amputauion as a child. But My parents rejected. And chose many (15) un successful operations. Only to develpe a bone infection from all the unsuccessful surgries. Braces and cast, and wheelchaie all my life. Now comming on 3 years in July I had no choice but to lose my leg any way :blink: Thanks again. It is nice to be able to relate to people who actually know whee I'm coming from! :)

Hi Phil, That sounds awesome! You sound like a real inspiration! I'm a newbie. I'm a L/bk for almoost 3 years now come this July. So I'm failey new at this myself. Just want to say Hi also! :)

Hi bear!

Thanks for the kind words.

It really is very touching when someone takes some inspiration from my words.

How are you tonight ?

Guest bearlover

Hi Mr. Phil! I'm doing ok. Just took the leg off. I had it on since 6:00 Am american time. It is now 9:00. It felty god to take the beast off! You are really a insprition to me. You are not a quitter and neither am I. Hope your doing well this evening!

Hi Mr. Phil! I'm doing ok. Just took the leg off. I had it on since 6:00 Am american time. It is now 9:00. It felty god to take the beast off! You are really a insprition to me. You are not a quitter and neither am I. Hope your doing well this evening!

I know how good it feels to take the beast off!!

Funny, I call my leg the best from time to time as well!!

Recently, I went through the whole process of redsigning, rebuilding and getting used to a new leg. New foot, new socket...after months of discomfort that niether me or my prosthetist could pin point or fix.

Yep, it's 9ish here too.

I am really touched that you look to me for inspiration.

I'm just posting a bit here...but I'd like to talk more with you! Feel free to send me a PM anytime !!

Guest bearlover

I also am using a test socket. My real deal may be ready in a few weeks. It is much smaller than the od beast. It has taken me 3 years to finally shrink to a stable point. The kids in my kindergarten calss think I have a robut leg :D I'm a teaching asistant. They are funny. very courious about it. I have a ampu teddy I use to talk to children. I also collect teddy bears that is whear my name comes from! Thanks for the reply. It is great communciating with other amputees who know whear you are coming from!

I also am using a test socket. My real deal may be ready in a few weeks. It is much smaller than the od beast. It has taken me 3 years to finally shrink to a stable point. The kids in my kindergarten calss think I have a robut leg :D I'm a teaching asistant. They are funny. very courious about it. I have a ampu teddy I use to talk to children. I also collect teddy bears that is whear my name comes from! Thanks for the reply. It is great communciating with other amputees who know whear you are coming from!

I'm glad to be of help!

I think it's great that you're getting the kids involved with the teddy!

For me...it seemed to take forever to get the fit correct....the test socket worked well, but was still not perfect.

But, in time, we got the fit just right...I am also a weight lifter, so I had put on a lot more muscle mass in my limb (I'm an RAK)....so, my new socket is much bigger and it has more space for me to grow into.

What sort of changes did you make to the new socket ?

Guest bearlover

I Had so many adjustments. Pads added to the inside od the socket, let out for pressure points, liner after liner, I aslo am having a real hard time getting a fit. I can't have a tight fit. Because I have a painful neuroma. My prosthetist has made my new socket so it will not touch the neuroma area. It makes it real hard to deal with. I know what you mean when you say you are having a hard time.It will be 3 years for me this July. I keep on trying but it seems to be a endless battle at times. But we will never give up!

Guest bearlover

Also opposite of you I"m small and the socket is big. I'm 5'7" 120 lbs. The socket to me is huge. I keep adding sock after sock. It seems i never stop shrinking through out the day. But at one point i had a really poor prosthetist who fourced me to wear up to 32 socks!!. When I switched prosthetist he was so mad. At the first guy. Now I have a rally great one, Who has helped me a lot. And is trying to ge me comfortable. I hear some amputees say that they forget that they are wearing a prosthetic. I am to be one of those people. I have not had a comfortable fit as of yet. It always feels un comfortable.But I quess that is all part of it. I hope you can get some comfort also.

Hi Mr. Phil from the other edge of the U.S. Would you mind telling us a little more about your skating? That just totally intrigues me!

Thanks,

Jodi

RAK

Sorry it's taken me so long to get to you!!

I use conventional hockey goalie skates...both ice and inline.

They're different from your typical hockey skates...lower to the ice and more protective.

When I strap them on, I don't use any special prosthetic system...just my everday walking leg.

A lot of what I do has to come from the hip instead of lower leg / ankle...as I'm a RAK

I've been working really hard at skating alternating my weight shifts from leg to leg...instead of pushing off on one leg and gliding on the other...think of riding a skate board.

For me, the hardest thing is skating on ice....inline skating gives me more control whereas the ice can be a bit more challenging.

Feel free to ask me any questions!!!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Also opposite of you I"m small and the socket is big. I'm 5'7" 120 lbs. The socket to me is huge. I keep adding sock after sock. It seems i never stop shrinking through out the day. But at one point i had a really poor prosthetist who fourced me to wear up to 32 socks!!. When I switched prosthetist he was so mad. At the first guy. Now I have a rally great one, Who has helped me a lot. And is trying to ge me comfortable. I hear some amputees say that they forget that they are wearing a prosthetic. I am to be one of those people. I have not had a comfortable fit as of yet. It always feels un comfortable.But I quess that is all part of it. I hope you can get some comfort also.

It can really be tough getting that perfect fit.

Even tho I have my new socket, I am still very aware that I'm wearing it, but I can't tell you just how much of an improvement it is!

That's awful that you had to go through working with the terrible prost. That alone can be hell....I've been there myself.

32 socks?!?!? I cant see how that would help!!

Guest bearlover

HOCKEY! What is your favorite team? I grew up in Buffalo New York. I'm a Sabers fan! But they just lost! I hope they make it to the Stanley cup. You are to awesome! for skating. That is really too cool. I never tought a amputee could skate. And you are above the knee? That must be so much work. How do you manage? I'm lucky if I can walk through a mall with no pain. Good for you. You will be able to accomplish anything you set your mind to.

Guest bearlover

He was a royal jerk! And made me wear 32 socks so he did not have to make another socket. Of course at the time I did not know this. My current prosthetist told me that only kept me from shrinking and damaged some nerves. Thank goodness I switched. I now go to Hanger. The prosthetist is grat!

Guest bearlover

Hello Mr. Phil, I'm calling it a night! have to work tomorrow. Hope to chat with you tomorrow. Thanks for replying! Bear

Bearlover,

You are an inspiration, you have still come out of the other end beaming and getting on with life. If anything comes in your way you knock it down.

I find yourself Phil, with what you have achieved, it makes me want to keep going when i do not want to.

Well done the pair of you hurrah, hurrah :D

Love Yvonne

xx :wub: