Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Mr_Phil

Hello! Your newest member writes in

Bearlover,

You are an inspiration, you have still come out of the other end beaming and getting on with life. If anything comes in your way you knock it down.

I find yourself Phil, with what you have achieved, it makes me want to keep going when i do not want to.

Well done the pair of you hurrah, hurrah :D

Love Yvonne

xx :wub:

Yvonne

Thanks so much for the kind words!

I am so glad that I have found this forum, as it allows me to reach out to amputees in a way I've never been able to do before!

What are some of the things you want to achieve?

What goals do you have that seem so far away?

I look forward to talking to you!!

Yvonne

I am so glad that I have found this forum, as it allows me to reach out to amputees in a way I've never been able to do before!

Hi Phil.

What are the things i want to achieve? Where do i start :ph34r:

I am due to start a radiography degree this September, it is something i have been trying to do for a few years but with operations, chemo, radiotherapy then amputation, it has made it hard to achieve. I would love to complete the 3 year course. I just feel i will struggle to do the job at the moment, having to do full time work without being able to sit and just stay on my feet all day (which i am not really good at).

How are you at standing? and when did you feel confident to walk, stand and just do normal every day things?

I know it is not going to be easy but i am just finding everything hard at the moment. People around me are great, they say i am doing marvelous but i just cannot see it. I feel i am constantly fighting with myself, guilty, angry, sad. :(

So, with what goals seem so far away, I feel they are and they are not. I just want to go somewhere or do something without it being a constant struggle, eg. walking (i am having a few issues with my socket which i am getting sorted out.), cooking (I have to use the wheelchair if i want to make a proper meal because the fridge is on the other side of the room and i am still using 1 to 2 sticks.), I just want to do little things for my husband to show that i appreciate him.

I have put myself down to do a race for life at the beggining of July, it is a 3 mile walk but i am feeling that i might not be able to achieve this.

You know i have been wanting to get this off my chest for a while but did not want to bother anyone. I appreciate you taking the time out for me. Thank you.

Love Yvonne

xx :blink:

Yvonne

Hi Phil.

What are the things i want to achieve? Where do i start :ph34r:

I am due to start a radiography degree this September, it is something i have been trying to do for a few years but with operations, chemo, radiotherapy then amputation, it has made it hard to achieve. I would love to complete the 3 year course. I just feel i will struggle to do the job at the moment, having to do full time work without being able to sit and just stay on my feet all day (which i am not really good at).

How are you at standing? and when did you feel confident to walk, stand and just do normal every day things?

I know it is not going to be easy but i am just finding everything hard at the moment. People around me are great, they say i am doing marvelous but i just cannot see it. I feel i am constantly fighting with myself, guilty, angry, sad. :(

So, with what goals seem so far away, I feel they are and they are not. I just want to go somewhere or do something without it being a constant struggle, eg. walking (i am having a few issues with my socket which i am getting sorted out.), cooking (I have to use the wheelchair if i want to make a proper meal because the fridge is on the other side of the room and i am still using 1 to 2 sticks.), I just want to do little things for my husband to show that i appreciate him.

I have put myself down to do a race for life at the beggining of July, it is a 3 mile walk but i am feeling that i might not be able to achieve this.

You know i have been wanting to get this off my chest for a while but did not want to bother anyone. I appreciate you taking the time out for me. Thank you.

Love Yvonne

xx :blink:

Thank you so much for writing in tonight!

I think goals, no matter how far off, are the key to being a stronger amputee. I say this because we are always reminded of our losses....each day that we put on, take off, adjust or have to deal with our prosthesis, crutches or wheelchairs.

Goals always help me center myself.

I've discussed this a lot with people that even me...an amputee for 24 of my 25 years still has bad days. As a child, I learned to walk on my prosthesis. I remember tho when I was a kid, the fitting process of a new leg was murder for me. It never felt quite right, it never felt like my old one nor did it work like the old one. And to tell you the truth, I'm on my newest prosthesis...I have lost count of what number it is! Even this time around, I had trouble sitting down comfortably, standing in lines, and even walking. One thing I always tell myself is that as an above knee amputee, new legs will take a while to get accustomed to...unlike let's say...a new pair of shoes. With a new leg, socket or foot...I always have to relearn how to walk, no lie ! These are the challenges that I've been dealt but, my goals keep me moving forward.

I admire your desire to enter the radiography program! That'll be an opportunity to see for yourself the results of your efforts...so that when "People around me are great, they say i am doing marvelous", you can watch your hard work pay off! :)

Do you ever feel like despite their encouragement, you're slipping backwards? That is not uncommon when dealing with a poor fitting socket....it takes a long time for the residual limb to get settled into the socket...once it does, it gets used to that fit....so, introduce a new socket and the limb has no idea what to do!

All your goals are great! I say, write them down on a white dry erase board in your kitchen....and look at it everytime you're near by. Keep reading over those goals! It'll do wonders for your sense of "I feel i am constantly fighting with myself, guilty, angry, sad".

I myself have a huge goal ahead of me.

My prosthetist asked me to partake in a big swimming relay here in Connecticut...swimming across Long Island Sound. Even tho I only have to swim a short distance...I've never been a swimmer. As a kid, I never liked taking my leg off at the beach...so I missed out on a lot of swimming in the ocean. But now, I really want to do this swim relay. August 5 is my day. Even if you can't do the whole 3 mile walk, I know that just showing up to the event will be good for you!!

Once again, I'm so glad you took the time to get these things off your chest! I'm always here if you want to share! I'm always happy to help!

Phil

You know i have been wanting to get this off my chest for a while but did not want to bother anyone.

Sorry to butt in, Yvonne, but I just wanted to tell you that that's what we're here for.

Goodness me.. you wouldn't be bothering anyone if you wanted to get things off your chest! This little space on the World Wide Web has kindly been given to us by Heather Mills McCartney exactly for this purpose... to share our experiences with others that are in the same position and know what it's like, amongst other things.

And those experiences aren't always good ones, or funny ones... sometimes they make you feel utterly hopeless. But that's the time to reach out to others who may be in a position to help you. Maybe it will be a word of advice; maybe just a listening ear...whatever... I just know that you'd feel better and stronger for it afterwards though.

So don't ever hold back. There are many people here who know exactly how you feel. But they can't be of any help if they don't know that you are feeling like this.

Here's hoping that the sun shines on you again soon, Sunshine :D

Guest bearlover

:) :D SUNSHINE. Thanks so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it.!

Hi Luv:

Welcome, you'll have a lot of laughs, emotions up and down and it all balls downs to this great forum with great people.

I'm a lak, I bicycle, I've tried a few gyms but they can't seem to "help" me find what works best for an above knee amp. I going to check into another one on Monday, so here's hoping.

Glad you here and look forward to getting to know you.

Lynne

...People around me are great, they say i am doing marvelous but i just cannot see it. I feel i am constantly fighting with myself, guilty, angry, sad. :(

I have put myself down to do a race for life at the beggining of July, it is a 3 mile walk but i am feeling that i might not be able to achieve this...

Yvonne, you've been through so much lately and as far as your amputation is concerned it's still very early days. As Mr Phil said, it takes us established amps a couple of weeks, just to get used to a well fitting leg...as unfortunately, no two legs are the same...they're unique.

The people around you are right...you are doing amazingly well...it's just that with everything else, you probably can't see the wood for the trees at the moment. Be kind to yourself and accept that you are doing well and feel that sense of achievement...let your moral be boosted! B)

Don't worry about the 3 mile walk...there's always next year. :)

Take care

Lizzie :)

Thank you all for your kind words,

I have been thinking about what yo have all said and each one of you are right. Phil, you have hit the nail on the head. "Do you ever feel like despite their encouragement, you're slipping backwards?" I know in a way i am doing Ok but i feel as if i am not progressing as good as i was say last month.

"Sorry to butt in, Yvonne, but I just wanted to tell you that that's what we're here for." Afet, I know that that's what this site is for. I just felt everyone was so happy and having jokes that i did not what to put a downer on it. But yes i do feel better for getting it off my chest, I find this site amazing, i always feel like i am saying "yes, yes, that is what i felt or that happened to me." I feel already that this ste has helped me so much. I suppose it is when i get down i think past that. I NEED TO BE MORE CONFIDENT :unsure: ha,ha

"you probably can't see the wood for the trees at the moment. Be kind to yourself and accept that you are doing well and feel that sense of achievement...let your moral be boosted!" Lizzie, need i say know more!!!

I am going to write this down and put it in my wallet :D :D

Dont these bad days mess with your head!! :unsure:

You are all so wonderful, thank you

(Sorry Phil for changing the mood on your post)

Love Yvonne

:blink:

Thank you all for your kind words,

(Sorry Phil for changing the mood on your post)

Love Yvonne

:rolleyes:

no problem!

Hi, Yvonne...

One more "interruption" before we let Phil have his thread back... just to elaborate on the subjects of "goals" and "progress."

In addition to writing down your goals, in order to keep focused on them, tell OTHERS about them... especially folks like us, who understand how big a challenge a seemingly simple goal can be, but also tell family and friends and acquaintances. Your goals are REAL, and they're going to be a big part of your life... share them, and let others' enthusiam and energy be added to your own!

My goal this next week sounds simple to an AB: I'm going on a charity home and garden tour, and I will need to go up and down two long staircases -- and a number of "incidental stairs" -- in the course of a day. I will need to drive a long distance. I will need to board the charity group's private-charter shuttle bus, which does not have a lift. And I want to do ALL of that without letting the fact that I might be slow or clumsy about it get me down!

I've done all of those activities in the past 11 months since getting my first prosthesis -- enough so that I know I WILL be slow and clumsy about some of it! -- but I've never done it all in a single day. Wouldn't have even thought about it as a "goal" pre-amp -- it was just an event I attended every year. But now it's a "GOAL" and that can be challenging, exhilarating, and frustrating, all three. My goal-within-the-goal is to maximize the exhilaration, meet the challenge, and tell the frustration to "take a hike" because I'M HERE, AND I'M DOING IT, AND THAT'S WHAT MATTERS!

As for "progress"... well, that can sometimes come in leaps and bounds, and sometimes it seems painfully slow. But as long as you're moving forward, you ARE making progress and you CAN be proud of your accomplishments. One thing I've found helpful: There are places I visit only occasionally -- I get my hair trimmed once a month, I go to the Post Office only a few times a year, you get the idea. When I visit one of these places, I make a point of thinking about "how well I'm doing it." Am I unsteady on my feet? How hard is it to get in and out of the stylist's chair? How tiring to stand in the post-office line? How much discomfort do I feel? Yeah... i really examine my ability to deal with the activity... and I REMEMBER it. The next time I'm at that place, I do the "checklist" again. Even if I've not thought I was making much progress in the intervening time, I am ALWAYS pleased to discover that, compared to my last visit, I am MILES ahead of where I was!

Go to the site of the walk in July, and start the route. Go as far as you can and be proud of it. And go do it again the following year... then go out and celebrate your progress!

And now we return to our regularly scheduled Phil.................

take care... cherylm

I also am using a test socket. My real deal may be ready in a few weeks. It is much smaller than the od beast. It has taken me 3 years to finally shrink to a stable point. The kids in my kindergarten calss think I have a robut leg :D I'm a teaching asistant. They are funny. very courious about it. I have a ampu teddy I use to talk to children. I also collect teddy bears that is whear my name comes from! Thanks for the reply. It is great communciating with other amputees who know whear you are coming from!

I'm glad to be of help!

I think it's great that you're getting the kids involved with the teddy!

For me...it seemed to take forever to get the fit correct....the test socket worked well, but was still not perfect.

But, in time, we got the fit just right...I am also a weight lifter, so I had put on a lot more muscle mass in my limb (I'm an RAK)....so, my new socket is much bigger and it has more space for me to grow into.

What sort of changes did you make to the new socket ?

Can an old grandma jump in? I am on my 4th socket and hopefully this will work. I have one good day and then the next I can't even put it on. The pain is always on my shin bone - we have determined that it doesn't want to be touched. I have had some success with the "Comfort Ag " sock, it is as soft as a kitten. We are also trying a Silosheath which is a thinner version of the distal cup liner that was really the first success. They have made an inner liner so that they can cut a window in it to keep pressure off. I may be 62 but want my life back. I feel like a totally differenta person when I can wear my leg. I am going to the ACA convention fto take their seminar on support group leadership and peer counseling. I am in the process of starting an amputee support group. Finding this forum and the ACA really saved my sanity. I hope that this leg finally works.

JudyH

Guest bearlover

Judy! Hi I have also had days like you. for me no 2 days are the same. I know whear you are coming from.i can not tell you how many sockets I have had, how many systems I have tryed, or even how many liners I have tryed. My prosthetist kids me by calling it the liner of the month club! It can be very fustrating. You will get your life back. But it takes time. I'm still not whear i should be or want to be. It will be 3 years in July for me. I'm a LBK. Due to a congential birth defect. My prosthetist just made me a test socket. IT is made so it dose not touch the senstive side of my leg. So far it has worked.But I stll have a little ways to go. Hang in there. It can be very fustrating like I said. You will have good days and not so good days. For me it is lioke a rollar coaster! Happy, sad, angry, accpted, no acepted......It is all part of it. Limb Loss if very difficult! Hope all of here can help. :) Bear

Hey everyone,

It's me again....just writing in to refocus my ideas.

I appreciate everyone who has written into my thread!

judy, glad to see you joining in! Welcome!

Cheryl and Bear, excellent advice and comments!

But now, if you will please allow me to share my newest thoughts...

In previous posts I have mentioned my plan to build an amputee hockey team.

I'm working hard on that plan each day....as a matter of fact, I have a meeting in New York City this Tuesday to talk with the ACA board as well as Amputees In Motion. While in NYC, I will present my plans to both groups in hopes they can point me in the right direction....participants, funding, brainstorming...

After writing to and reading mail from Cheryl I got thinking.

Perhaps my plan would benefit from some expansion.

All of us as amputees want to be happy with our bodies...especially when each day we wake up we have to don limbs, liners, socks and other aides reminding us of how "different" we are.

I go through it everyday...and I've been an amputee for 24 of my 25 years.

To make matters worse, there are days when we don't want to go out into the world b/c we're going to be stared at, it'll take extra effort to focus on daily tasks and we just don't know if we're physically/emotionally strong enough to cope on those days. Those days are not uncommon!

But, the newest part of my plan is this...to open a center for amputees to go and work out at a gym where they are surrounded by amputees of all ages and limb differences. I want to give US a place to work out, learn how to keep fit without the pressures that may come at a conventional gym...I want to reach out to the amputees that do not feel they are ready for hockey or other high end sports.

This is where I how I want to help amputees to reach a better sense of self both physically and emotionally.

What do you guys think?

As amputees who may want some extra physical activity, but aren't ready for Gold's Gym, is this something you might enroll in?

Please offer feedback!

Guest bearlover

Excellant Idea Phil! That would be so cool! I for one would love to go to a work out place. But feel so challanged by my leg. A place just for is amps would be wonderful! I feel as you as you had stated. Days when the stares from people really bother me. At a place whear most of the people would also be amputees would be a great help. Emotionally and physically and it would boost our self esteem! :) Thank you for doing so much for all of us amputees your a great person who really cares about others!

Hey everyone,

It's me again....just writing in to refocus my ideas.

I appreciate everyone who has written into my thread!

judy, glad to see you joining in! Welcome!

Cheryl and Bear, excellent advice and comments!

But now, if you will please allow me to share my newest thoughts...

In previous posts I have mentioned my plan to build an amputee hockey team.

I'm working hard on that plan each day....as a matter of fact, I have a meeting in New York City this Tuesday to talk with the ACA board as well as Amputees In Motion. While in NYC, I will present my plans to both groups in hopes they can point me in the right direction....participants, funding, brainstorming...

After writing to and reading mail from Cheryl I got thinking.

Perhaps my plan would benefit from some expansion.

All of us as amputees want to be happy with our bodies...especially when each day we wake up we have to don limbs, liners, socks and other aides reminding us of how "different" we are.

I go through it everyday...and I've been an amputee for 24 of my 25 years.

To make matters worse, there are days when we don't want to go out into the world b/c we're going to be stared at, it'll take extra effort to focus on daily tasks and we just don't know if we're physically/emotionally strong enough to cope on those days. Those days are not uncommon!

But, the newest part of my plan is this...to open a center for amputees to go and work out at a gym where they are surrounded by amputees of all ages and limb differences. I want to give US a place to work out, learn how to keep fit without the pressures that may come at a conventional gym...I want to reach out to the amputees that do not feel they are ready for hockey or other high end sports.

This is where I how I want to help amputees to reach a better sense of self both physically and emotionally.

What do you guys think?

As amputees who may want some extra physical activity, but aren't ready for Gold's Gym, is this something you might enroll in?

Please offer feedback!

WOW! Bring it to Michigan PLEASE! I'll sign up first. The thought of exercizing with people who would't think it strange if you had to take off a leg or arm and add or remover socks. Keep us posted.

JudyH

Phil,

What an excellent idea, Not everyone feels comfortable with the way they look and this would be a good oportunity to come to a place where they could work out but also sit and chat and meet other amputees.

Once you get up and running (sorry!!) over there, can you come over to the North of England?? he, he

Love Yvonne

xx

Bear, Judy and Yvonne,

Thanks so much for the feedback!!

I really think this is something I need to develop.

England, Michigan...who knows what will happen once I get this idea off the ground!!

"if you had to take off a leg or arm and add or remover socks"

hmm...a bunch of sweaty gym goers all missing limbs! haha

hi mr phil,

when i read all these postings, then i see, that your fitness studio might be a good idea....but this might be only the first step.

your studio will just be at one place, but your "customers" might come from all over the country...so you need a hotel or something like that, where your customers can live for their training weeks.

the other thing is, that most of them will need walking training. nearly everybody makes faults when there is not enough power in the special muscles or if he/she never learned it better.

when there are so many amputees at one place, you also need a good prosthesist in the backhand, because there might be some changes or repairs needed.

last point would be a doctor with some knowledge about aputees and especially prostheses...he could make necessary prescriptions.

you would cover all needs of amputees at one place.

no...that is not my idea. i was in such a centre, had my first prosthesis 4 weeks after amputation and could walk with a cane distances of about 1-2 km three month later. when i look back, i am glad about this......in the clinic not always. especially not, when i had to go upstairs 6 floors and had to kick a ball at each step with my knee B) ....now i know, what this was worth for.

ciao thomas

Hi, Phil...

I gave you one of my patented "ramble-on" answers on Ian's forum, so let me just add MY "great idea!" to the others!

Hi Phil,

Sorry to be late with my welcome.....pretty active forum & I guess I occassionally overlook some. Nothing personal...just hate reading!!! :P

I've been a bilateral for 24 out of 44 years now. Anyway, I had that same idea years ago. I wanted to be able to hit a gym & not feel uncomfortable, to swim in a public pool without all the hassle & stares. I was in Florida once, hanging out at the pool. It was really hot that day. There were just a few older people around, so I figured I would cool off. Asked the lifeguard if he had a problem if I went in with pants(light weight to cover up my less than attractive bits). He had no problem with it as long as I could prove that I could swim the full length of the pool up & back. <_< What an ass. I did it, cooled off.. then came "the others" :( I tried ever so indiscreetly to get out of the pool & put myself back together. Ok, that was my first & last public swimming experience. :o The point being that I now really wanted to get this place going. I asked around for suggesstions & the general concensus was...it's an insurance risk. Figuring I need an experienced caring person...my thoughts turned to Richard Simmons. Remember him? You're too young, but he was the fitness guru who was like an ultra caring guy. Figured he would listen. Had the name "WHEELIN" (Wheel In) for the gym. Alas....I dropped the ball. another idea I had was for a simple pamphlet for the amputee. You go the the dentist...strewn across the table are tons of pamphlets explaining different procedures & what you can expect. Lose a limb & they've got nothing for you!?! :rolleyes: So, I go to my prosthetist at the time with the proposal...let's make a simple So you've lost a limb now what...pamphlet. Again I'm shot down with the insurance risk crap again. I guess I gave up too easily. Don't take any of my instances as discouraging. I say take what you can from it & RUN Or SKATE & make it happen. :D Things have changed a lot over the years. Maybe my timing was off.

Hope it happens for you!!!! Me I bought a treadmill...do some basic exercise with light weight training & my dad has a pool...so it all works. :P

Linda

Some amps like to avoid the stares and I understand that totally (me, I don't give a damn who stares and I go swimming during public swimming sessions) so, I think your idea is great, Phil! :D

However (and I don't mean to be a 'doom & gloom merchant'), are you sure you'd get enough numbers to justify opening a gym specifically for amps? I know there are lots of us here, but amputees are a minority when compared to the population as a whole...which is probably why we get so many stares. <_< Also, have you taken into account the fact that the majority of amps are 65 plus?

If you're thinking of operating it like a gym, then if I were you I'd be tempted to start small and see if I could arrange some regular weekly sessions specifically for amps at your local gym and/or pool. You could involve a physio for gait training if you find that's needed - which I should imagine you probably will! ;)

If on the other hand, if you're aiming for more of a 'health spa' idea and you're thinking of inviting people from all over the place, you'd have to think about accommodation too.

Just a few of my thoughts at the moment.

Lizzie :)

PS Linda - I think your ideas were great too! :D One thing - I can't understand why you couldn't have produced a leaflet with a disclaimer? Wouldn't that have avoided the insurance problems?

PS Linda - I think your ideas were great too! One thing - I can't understand why you couldn't have produced a leaflet with a disclaimer? Wouldn't that have avoided the insurance problems?

I would assume so, but I was looking to him for the answers & help & he made it sound like it was more hassle than worth doing. I was young & accepted the answers I got at the time. I mean, really it made sense because why else weren't there pamphlets....right?

Sitting in lunch room today at work... pick up local newspaper... and on Page 2: Local community college provides workout opportunities for amps (and other disabled) through their Physical Education department!

The program is treated as an "Adapted P.E." class, similar to what is offered in elementary through high schools. They have their own small "gym" underneath the local sports stadium. It appears to be kind of a cross between standard "gym" workout-style activities and a physical therapy session, with faculty and staff trained in working with people with a variety of challenges... they specifically mentioned amps, stroke victims, folks with MS, and accident victims. All ages, abilities, genders, whatever!

So, Phil, perhaps an "easy" starting point, and one which would help avoid the "liability issue" would be to approach it as an outreach program with other community colleges, local "Ys," etc.? arrange ways to provide training, equipment, and resources to make working with amps seem appealing to an existing program? Do some community outreach to channel the folks who need/want such services to the folks who can provide them?

Who knows where something like that could lead!

take care... cherylm

Sitting in lunch room today at work... pick up local newspaper... and on Page 2: Local community college provides workout opportunities for amps (and other disabled) through their Physical Education department!

The program is treated as an "Adapted P.E." class, similar to what is offered in elementary through high schools. They have their own small "gym" underneath the local sports stadium. It appears to be kind of a cross between standard "gym" workout-style activities and a physical therapy session, with faculty and staff trained in working with people with a variety of challenges... they specifically mentioned amps, stroke victims, folks with MS, and accident victims. All ages, abilities, genders, whatever!

So, Phil, perhaps an "easy" starting point, and one which would help avoid the "liability issue" would be to approach it as an outreach program with other community colleges, local "Ys," etc.? arrange ways to provide training, equipment, and resources to make working with amps seem appealing to an existing program? Do some community outreach to channel the folks who need/want such services to the folks who can provide them?

Who knows where something like that could lead!

take care... cherylm

THAT"S EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO DO!!!!!!!

Wow, Cheryl, you've earned a gold start today for effort!

Thanks so much for the news!!

I'm going to add those details into my notes now...I spoke with my prosthetist today about this wacky idea of mine and he's behind it!

Your news made my day!