Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Mr_Phil

Hello! Your newest member writes in

Hi Mr. Phil.

Great topics in this thread - AND, thanks for sharing your skating techniques. I tried ice skating a LONG time ago with no luck and just couldn't really picture how you do it - very impressive.

And, I love your idea of a gym but in 31 years I rarely run into another amputee (that I know of) unless I have been in a special program (ex: skiing club). How about a personal trainer who could travel around and visit each one of us and get us set up in a workout program in our communities and also work on gait training/correction? I would love that kind of personalized attention - specific to my unique needs. And, for the right person, that would be a very enjoyable job I would think - what with meeting all these fabulous people and traveling to exciting locales! I'm sure it would be expensive in the short term but no different than paying for the occassional prosthetic (unless you are one of the lucky people with full coverage).

Jodi

It might be hard to gather a "crowd" in a small town or other isolated location, but I think it might be do-able in more populated areas... especially if you were to expand things from "just amps" to a wider variety of physical/mobility challenges. In my area, I'm discovering that amps are actually quite plentiful... there's just no real organized way for us to find each other and gather easily. An amazing amount of "socializing" gets done at my CPO's office, but the drawback there is that you never can tell who may be in at the same time you are -- and "social hall" is not really part of their service! -- so there's no sense of continuity. Support groups can only go so far as well... and then we have folks who wouldn't be caught dead in a "support group" but would think more kindly towards "going to the gym."

One of the challenges would be to create awareness that the program/place was a "safe" environment where all would be welcome to come and do whatever they are able... kind of a "real-world" equivalent to the Forum.

Jodi has an interesting idea, though... "personal trainer" for amps could be pretty interesting! I'm just thinking of the connections, encouragement, and yes, "support" that could develop in a group setting.

You've certainly aroused a lot of interest, Phil!

take care... cherylm

Guest bearlover

That is also great a idea Cherlym and Jodi. A gym for all disabilties is also a thought. Phil has a great idea. What a brillant guy! Has made some of us get to thinking! :)

I sure have been busy lately!

Between hockey playing, amputee hockey planning, meetings with amputees, driving around finding good sponsors for my amputee hockey league and the rest of my life, time has been moving quickly!!

Thanks to JohnnyV for all his help in New York City this week, I'm that much closer to launching my amputee hockey league!!!

Johnny also gave me some great pointers on how to start the amputee workout program.

All this is very exciting!

Thank you guys for all your input!

Between hockey playing, amputee hockey planning, meetings with amputees, driving around finding good sponsors for my amputee hockey league and the rest of my life, time has been moving quickly!!

Thanks to JohnnyV for all his help in New York City this week, I'm that much closer to launching my amputee hockey league!!!

Johnny also gave me some great pointers on how to start the amputee workout program.

Mr. Phil - I sure hope you get the amputee workout thing going. I would love to see you develop a program that could be implemented in other cities.

JudyH

Mr. Phil - I sure hope you get the amputee workout thing going. I would love to see you develop a program that could be implemented in other cities.

JudyH

Right now, I have a few leads on how to get it started on a very small basis.

One thing I aim to do is finalize some initial plans and ask if my prosthetist knows anyone who'd like to try it out as the first experimental group with me !

Well folks...

my amputee specific training center may be a reality.

I'm taking steps to make this dream come true for those of us who want "something more" in our lives as amputes.

I've been in touch with some very influential players in the amputee world.

Please continue posting your comments, advice, support and ideas!!!

I want to hear what YOU guys need in a training center!!!!!

Thanks Phil! you are doing so much for us amps! :P

I've got so many ideas to work on that I am always up to something these days!

Guest bearlover

Mr. Phil whear are you??? Busy with all you are trying to do for us Amputees. Hope your well!! :) :)

Guest bearlover

He Phil how are you? How is the hockey comming? Miss your post..Hope all is ok! It has been a while since I saw you post... :)

Hi Phil

Welcome, hope you find what your looking for!

Everyone is really great here and very supportive

Neil

Hi Mr Phil

Sorry for the late welcome. I had my rak amp done 3 months ago ao as a result of a motorbike acident 4 yrs ago so am really new to all this, I recieved my leg 3 n half wks after the amp n haven't looked back.

Glad to her your getting o with life n not letting things get in ur way it's certainly an inspiration to me to no there is def more to life now.

Guest bearlover

mr. Phil are you still around...You haven't posted in quite a while..I was wondeing how the amputee gym is comming along...I hope to see you post soon! :)