Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JudyH

What do you do when you can't wear your leg?

I find the saying "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" to be appropriate to my situation this week. I have just been told that I can't wear my leg for a week. What novel kinds of things would you do if you couldn't wear your leg and couldn't get out? Since my amputation in November I have read, crocheted, played computer games (thank God for BOOKWORM).....? Any good websites? Medical, trivia, inventions?

Hey Judy there are 5 bazillion websites out there ranging from very very funny to very very strange to very very serious.

A couple of my fav's are

http://www.engrish.com

http://www.emedicine.com

http://www.netanatomy.com (not to be viewed before or during dinner :lol: )

http://www.popcap.com

There's tons more too.

You could always download one of the IM chat messengers and see if any of us are on there and do what we Aussies call...Avachat

Cat

Hey Judy there are 5 bazillion websites out there ranging from very very funny to very very strange to very very serious.

A couple of my fav's are

www.engrish.com

www.emedicine.com

www.netanatomy.com (not to be viewed before or during dinner :lol: )

www.popcap.com

There's tons more too.

You could always download one of the IM chat messengers and see if any of us are on there and do what we Aussies call...Avachat

Cat

\Cat - I love popcap. What is an IM chat messenger? Do you have a webcam?JudyH

Judy IM stands for instant messenger, MSN have (in my opinion) the best one, so does Yahoo, Skype and there is also now Google talk. I have a webcam but never use it, to be honest they aren't that good

Popcap is fun isn't it? I play a bit there sometimes.

Cat

Hi Judy,

I am sorry to hear about you not being able to wear your leg. It is really frustrating and really holds you back when that happens, I know.

I don't know how mobile you are on crutches, but I spent 6 months on crutches before I got my leg because of a broken femur that just wouldn't heal, and whilst it obviously stopped me from hiking up mountains, I really tried not to let it stop me from doing much else.

I went to work on crutches, went swimming three times a week, went out to the pub lots of times a week, and generally lived a pretty normal life, albeit without the hassle of horrid tubes and trains the whole time as I just got taxis everywhere!

How good are you on crutches? Because if you are alright, I don't reckon being without a leg should stop you too much.

In any case, the week will be over before you know it I am sure.

x x x

Hi Judy, welcome to our little part of the universe. I, too, use crutches when out of my leg. But if I'm at home and moving around the bedroom or something, I do what I call the "butt scoot boogie." :D It's pretty easy to figure out. Of course, there's always the old amp stand by- "the hop." But I don't think it's very good for long distance. :huh:

Glad to have you here. I think you'll really like it.

Hi Judy,

I am sorry to hear about you not being able to wear your leg. It is really frustrating and really holds you back when that happens, I know.

I don't know how mobile you are on crutches, but I spent 6 months on crutches before I got my leg because of a broken femur that just wouldn't heal, and whilst it obviously stopped me from hiking up mountains, I really tried not to let it stop me from doing much else.

I went to work on crutches, went swimming three times a week, went out to the pub lots of times a week, and generally lived a pretty normal life, albeit without the hassle of horrid tubes and trains the whole time as I just got taxis everywhere!

How good are you on crutches? Because if you are alright, I don't reckon being without a leg should stop you too much.

In any case, the week will be over before you know it I am sure.

x x x

Hi Fiona - I wish I could use crutches - I can't feel my good foot and I have neuropathy in my hands. I am not real good with a walker either so my leg is critically important to me. I have plans to start swimming soon. I got a cover for my leg that allows me to go swimming - I can't wait. JudyH

Judy,

I am really sorry to hear about the problems with your other foot and your hands.

Good luck with the swimming though.

Take care, and the week will pass before you know it.

p.s. if you want a good book to read I have just read the new book by Kazou Ishiguro (the bloke that wrote remains of the day) and it has really made me think - definitely a worthwile read. It is called "never let me go".

Hi Judy, welcome to our little part of the universe. I, too, use crutches when out of my leg. But if I'm at home and moving around the bedroom or something, I do what I call the "butt scoot boogie." :D It's pretty easy to figure out. Of course, there's always the old amp stand by- "the hop." But I don't think it's very good for long distance. :wacko:

I did the 'Hop' for a bit of the winter... and then realized it was killing my good knee! Butt scoot is much safer! Save what you have!

Guest bearlover

Hi Judy, welcome to our little part of the universe. I, too, use crutches when out of my leg. But if I'm at home and moving around the bedroom or something, I do what I call the "butt scoot boogie." :D It's pretty easy to figure out. Of course, there's always the old amp stand by- "the hop." But I don't think it's very good for long distance. :wacko:

I did the 'Hop' for a bit of the winter... and then realized it was killing my good knee! Butt scoot is much safer! Save what you have!

PLay on the computer. Or use the crutches. Are there any other knee walkers out there? I usually walk on my knees in place of the crutches. Just bought some knee pads. Looks goofey but workes. Of course I only do this in the privacy of my own home. Not out side. :D

Hey Judy - do you have a wheelchair? That would work and it's easier on the knees than hopping! Good luck this week.

Guest bearlover
Hey Judy - do you have a wheelchair? That would work and it's easier on the knees than hopping! Good luck this week.

Yes I have a wheelchair. refuse to use it. I quess Iam just stuborn!!

Guest bearlover

Yes I have a wheelchair. refuse to use it. I quess Iam just stuborn!! My name is not Judy tho!

Hi, Judy...

Give yourself a break and use the chair... it's only for a week! The way I see it, I use whatever "aids" are necessary to do what I want to do. If that means "nothing," great... if it means "cane," also great. Walker, crutches (not often -- I'm terrible on crutches), wheelchair... all great. Electric scooter in stores... great, AND fun!

LIFE is what matters, not how you move through it. Don't let a week without your leg interfere with your life any more than is absolutely necessary!

take care... cherylm

Hi, Judy...

Give yourself a break and use the chair... it's only for a week! The way I see it, I use whatever "aids" are necessary to do what I want to do. If that means "nothing," great... if it means "cane," also great. Walker, crutches (not often -- I'm terrible on crutches), wheelchair... all great. Electric scooter in stores... great, AND fun!

LIFE is what matters, not how you move through it. Don't let a week without your leg interfere with your life any more than is absolutely necessary!

take care... cherylm

I totally agree, Cheryl! If something (albeit a wheelchair or crutches) gets you from A to B, in relative comfort, without you damaging yourself and it lets you do most of what you want to do, then use it! Life's too short to worry about what other people think....& anyway, your comfort is more important! :)

Lizzie :)

More agreement here with using whatever aids are necessary! In the morning, I'm still not awake when I go for that first cup of coffee. I'll use the wheelchair to get from bed to coffee to newspaper (or computer!)...

At first I really didn't want to use a walker in public! Heck, now I go anywhere using a walker. (I'm still new at this.) I've been spotted in every plant nursery within 25 miles of here walkering along and picking out flowers. Not to mention, using the walker to get to my flowerbeds to do the planting and weeding. I live in a very small town, and I sure wish I knew what the folks around here are calling me--Crazy Walker Flower Lady??

At least I can do whatever I need/want to do now! Yay! :D

Guest bearlover
More agreement here with using whatever aids are necessary! In the morning, I'm still not awake when I go for that first cup of coffee. I'll use the wheelchair to get from bed to coffee to newspaper (or computer!)...

At first I really didn't want to use a walker in public! Heck, now I go anywhere using a walker. (I'm still new at this.) I've been spotted in every plant nursery within 25 miles of here walkering along and picking out flowers. Not to mention, using the walker to get to my flowerbeds to do the planting and weeding. I live in a very small town, and I sure wish I knew what the folks around here are calling me--Crazy Walker Flower Lady??

Use the walker whenever needed. It gives people something to thank God for! That they sre physically ok. I actually said one time because i was so angry at people looking at me "Take a picture it will last longer" I mean these are frown ups who should know better. Children are a different matter. But once when I was in my whelchair. I waved my dtump at a kid! He freaked out1 :D :lol:

Guest bearlover

Use the walker whenever needed. It gives people something to thank God for! That they sre physically ok. I actually said one time because i was so angry at people looking at me "Take a picture it will last longer" I mean these are frown ups who should know better. Children are a different matter. But once when I was in my whelchair. I waved my dtump at a kid! He freaked out1 :D :lol:

OPPs i keep using the wrong keys. Iam also new at this computer thing! Can you tell :ph34r:

I mean these are frown ups who should know better.

Hmm .. I don't know bear, you seem to have that one right! :lol:

Guest bearlover

Hmm .. I don't know bear, you seem to have that one right! :lol: Thanks! Iam still a little new at this amp stuff. It it cool comunicating with other amps. Don't feel so alone! Thanks :D

Hmm .. I don't know bear, you seem to have that one right! :lol: Thanks! Iam still a little new at this amp stuff. It it cool comunicating with other amps. Don't feel so alone! Thanks :D

Yes, it is so nice not to feel alone. JudyH

But once when I was in my whelchair. I waved my dtump at a kid! He freaked out1 biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Okay... time to 'fess up... Who's gotten frustrated enough to wave their stump at someone? I did it once, one or two days after my amputation. Knew I was being deliberately exploitative and shocking... have NOT done it since and hope never to again... but I DO still feel it was justified.

I was still in CCU, still in immense pain, still unable to move much at all. I had tubes running into me for IV antibiotics and oxygen; there was a blood pressure cuff permanantly attached to my arm for automatic monitorings; I was groggy from the pain meds; I was hooked up to a heart monitor... and I needed to go to the bathroom. Desperately. As I had for the past half-hour. All I wanted was someone to either help me control all the tubes and wires as I hopped to the bedside commode... OR the delivery of a bedpan. It took that half-hour, and four calls to the nurses' station, to get a nurse to my bedside to ask "what's the matter?"

I explained that I didn't think I could "hold on" any longer. She said, "then go in the bed; we can always clean it up after." I started to lose it and said there was NO way I'd soil my bed intentionally. "Well then, you'll either have to hold it or get up and use the commode."

I-would-LOVE-to-use-the-commode, I said angrily, But-I-still-need-some-help-with-it! "Why?" she asked, and I lost it completely.

"BECAUSE OF THIS!" I snapped, as I whipped off the bedding and shoved the end of my stump in her face... which she finally took as "proof" that a bedpan was in order.

I don't know where this woman came from, and she certainly was NOT indicative of the level of care I received, which was generally efficient, professional, and supportive. But she was not just clueless... she was insulting. If ever someone deserved to have a stump stuck in her face...................

Oh, well..........!

take care... cherylm

Guest bearlover

I know all about nurses. But would never do what you did. They are over worked and hard working. And many patients to care for. I havent waved my stump either. Some people (family) actuall ask me to do it! It is different then. Everyone had their day!!

I know all about nurses. But would never do what you did. They are over worked and hard working. And many patients to care for. I havent waved my stump either. Some people (family) actuall ask me to do it! It is different then. Everyone had their day!!

99% of nurses are wonderful,caring and overworked. It is the 1% that that aren't that can make a patients life ****. The hospital policy that said I couldn't get out of bed without assistance even tho I could do it easily - combined with the IV antibiotics which gave me violent diahhrea - created a major problem. I, too, refused soil myself because of their rules. A very kind nurse who realized that I needed to keep my dignity compromised and let me get up by myself as long as I put the light on. I had to put a large note on my wheelchair because the night staff kept taking it away form the bed and putting it where I couldn't readch it because of their rules.

JudyH

Guest bearlover

Yes I agree. I have seen some well meaning nurses do some things that I just never understood. Another thing some patients think they are the only one's. while the nurses have many patients to care for.Some patients can be so demanding as well, My roommate was a very nasty person. Thanks for your reply :)