Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JudyH

What do you do when you can't wear your leg?

Well said Bear. Most nurses are totally wonderful. It's no diffreent than any other job you get good and bad, but the good are awesome. :)

Cat

Over the years, I've had some of the sweetest nurses care for me (for some reason, I've found male nurses are generally more efficient & empathic than most female nurses...? :angry:)...and unfortunately, I've also had one or two 'real dragons' treat me. :(

Cherlym & JudyH, your experiences sound appauling! :angry: I don't think any carer (nurse or no) should expect someone to 'soil' themselves when it can be avoided...it's degrading and it totally wipes out someones dignity. :blink: Having said that, please don't let your experiences colour the way you see nursing staff in general...instead use your prior knowledge of what can happen, to make sure it doesn't happen again to you or your friends and family.

Take care

Lizzie :)

Over the years, I've had some of the sweetest nurses care for me (for some reason, I've found male nurses are generally more efficient & empathic than most female nurses...? :angry:)...and unfortunately, I've also had one or two 'real dragons' treat me. :(

Cherlym & JudyH, your experiences sound appauling! :angry: I don't think any carer (nurse or no) should expect someone to 'soil' themselves when it can be avoided...it's degrading and it totally wipes out someones dignity. :blink: Having said that, please don't let your experiences colour the way you see nursing staff in general...instead use your prior knowledge of what can happen, to make sure it doesn't happen again to you or your friends and family.

Take care

Lizzie - as soon as I convinced the head nurse that I could transfer safely and I was adament that like it or not I was taking myself to the bathroom everything was fine. But you REALLY have to speak up for yourself.

JudyH

Over the years, I've had some of the sweetest nurses care for me (for some reason, I've found male nurses are generally more efficient & empathic than most female nurses...? :unsure:)...and unfortunately, I've also had one or two 'real dragons' treat me. :(

Lizzie and all, I found most of the nurses who worked with me to be really REALLY great. However, in all my different hospital stays, I found two that were just horrible. One young nurse came on duty just really ticked off at the world... It was her job to try and reinsert an IV yet again (had many collapsed veins and blown veins). She was mad at the world and took it out on me. By the time she got done, I literally was dripping blood from both arms and still no IV. I finally looked at her and told her to PLEASE find someone who could do this! As she left, she stated that she was going to go find some ice cream. :blink:

Another nurse stole my pain meds! I was not hallucinating--Hubby was a witness! I had just been set up with a new cartridge of pain meds in the machine... she looked at it and stated that it was now empty. Hubby and I looked at each other as she took it away. She was going off shift and took my morphine with her!

The absolute BEST nurse was a guy. I met him in the middle of the night and told him the docs were coming in early at 6:00am to change the collar on my newly amputated leg and that it hurt so badly when they did this. He looked at me kindly and said that he'd make sure I had a shot of pain meds in time for it to take hold before they came in for the changing. By golly, he woke me up at 5:15, gave me the shot and I loved him for this! And MOST of the nurses I had were like this guy...

Guest bearlover

I remeber once with one of my bone graphs. Prior to lossing my leg. I was in a lot of pain. And asked for my "pain Shot". The nurse actually stuck it to me real hard. and said" Now you got it" She was a real un happy person. :unsure:

My "nurse horror story" was exactly that: a NURSE, singular. By and large, I think nurses are the closest things we have to angels here on earth... I worked in the medical field for several years, and my niece is a nurse, so I know how much hard work and responsibility goes into the profession. But every profession has the occasional "bad apple," and the gal who suggested I soil myself rather than assisting me was definitely asking for a come-back! (Although I will admit that waving my stump in her face was a purely emotional response that brought me down to her level. It DID, however, get me my bedpan!)

One of the hardest things about being a patient is just that: being PATIENT. There are so many rules, regulations, people, procedures, you-name-it to negotiate with... and even if you work out a "system" with one shift, the next shift may or may not respect it. Being sick is a LOT of hard work! Being sick and without a leg was its own set of challenges. I'm glad I survived it... and I hope NEVER to face anything like it again.

take care... cherylm

Guest bearlover

Quite true Cherlym. I aslo heave a niece who is a nurse. Here in NY they have Mandatoy over time. So when a nurse has alreay worked a full shift. She is required to work another. This only results in over worked tired nurses. Making searious mistakes from lack of sleep. It is not right. THey are trying to fight this. :unsure:

Hi, bearlover...

Nurses in California have a pretty strong support system in place, as well as an active union, but they still face a heavy caseload and a lot of hours on duty. They've just recently fought off an attempt to increase their caseloads further. It was a bitter battle... I wish the NY nurses all the best with theirs!

I truly do not understand it when profits are increased by decreasing the level of patient care. It's just not right.

Guest bearlover

I agree Cherylm. These nurses are worked to the bone. And that can be a serious problem. Your dealing with sick people and can't afford to make a mistake, such as wrong meds, wrong patient, wrong procdure.....sounds scary but over worked people of any occupation can make searious maitakes. HEY Thanks Cherylm!! :)

What would I do when I can't wear my leg?

Only listen to half the advice which Cat & Lizzie give me about shoes!

Also, make use of the attached (shamelessly stolen from here)

post-1737-1149249248_thumb.jpg

What would I do when I can't wear my leg?

Only listen to half the advice which Cat & Lizzie give me about shoes!

Also, make use of the attached (shamelessly stolen from here)

That's great, Kev! :D

Does it come with speakers attached? :rolleyes:

Gee and I thought noone was listening at all :lol:

p.s. if you want a good book to read I have just read the new book by Kazou Ishiguro (the bloke that wrote remains of the day) and it has really made me think - definitely a worthwile read. It is called "never let me go".

Hi Fiona

My daughter's just started reading this book (Never Let Me Go by Kazou Ishiguro) and she's finding it very weird. Just a small question for you:

Does the book get even weirder?

:huh:

Thanks

Well yes and no.

It takes a bit of time to work out what is going on and when you do you kind of don't believe it and then it just carries on in that vein really.

It really made me think, and I always think that is a sign of a good book.

Thanks for answering so quickly, Fiona. :)

She's finding it 'very creepy'. From what she said, it seems to be centred around growing people for organ harvesting. If she's right that would definately be thought provoking.

What would I do if I couldn't wear my leg...... I'd holler for my crutches!!! :blink: ;)

Sheila lbk

KeepSmiling :)

post-452-1149288249.gif