Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pixy

oooowwwwieeee

owwwwwww

I think/ am pretty sure I have another * insert word that will be censored* ulser on my stump. some times I can walk fine but then I start getting fiery sharp pain right up my side. It's starting to become like horrible phantom pain right along where the foot was removed leaving only the heal after a botched van-ness rotation.

any way that was my sooking. now how do I stop it. and should I be concerned that I've had more then one ulser in the last two years?

Hi Pixy

Do you mean a skin ulceration? If so, you should be able to see it, by using a mirror. If you have a loss in the sensation in your leg, you should have been advised to check your leg regularly (i.e. every day) for skin lesions and signs of skin break down - similar advice to that given to diabetics.

I have no idea how to get help your 'ulcer' heal, apart from rest. You really need to see your prosthetist and your doctor.

I hope it clears up soon!

Take care

Lizzie :)

Hi Pixy

The first 3 to 5 years, I constantly had sores on my stump. I was so sick of taking my leg off and finding blood on the bottom of my sock. After I had ben sitting for any length of time, I had to stand up and put pressure on my leg until the pain finally became numb, and then I could walk - very painfully. I loaded trailers, and made five trips from California to Missouri when we moved out here, with my leg like that - and, did all of the driving, mostly with my leg off. (Leg amputated in '88, moved in '92) After about a year or two here, I got another prosthetist, and from his first leg on, I haven't had a single sore. They immediately healed up and haven't returned.

The only thing that I can attribute this to is the change in prosthetists. Oh yes - I am a right, below the knee amputee.