Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
girly_wales

How much do you want to achieve?

I have been thinking recently, when you become an amputee how much do you want to achieve? Do you just want to return to normal, doing ordinary every day things, or do you have a drive to want achieve more?

My first goal was obviously to walk and then to go back to school. I achieved both of them, but i still had a drive in me to want to do more, so i decided to go travelling and to uni.

Still now i dont think thats enough, im off to dublin to compete in Junior World Championships in Long Jump in july.. This is a goal, im hoping to achieve it if all goes to plan.. but y stop there.

The world is an oyster... theres so many things out there to do.

Andy

x

Andy that's an awesome goal. You already know how much I admire you and how proud I am to see what you've achieved. Seeing you running and sharing your joy was one of the most exciting things I've been involved with. One day I think you are going to be able to look back and say to yourself, "I did it ALL!!"

My goal as an amp is a bit different. As I grew up with mine, my goal was always "respect". I try to run faster, catch better, jump higher, kick longer, ride faster and laugh more than anyone. I don't always come first but by golly I give it my best shot.

Always aim for the sky. If you only make it to the clouds then at least you tried as hard as you could.

I think in years to come I'm going to be able to smile and say, "yeah I know Andy she's awesome isn't she?" :)

Keep us posted Andy I can't wait for more news :)

Cat

Great post Andy,

Well done you, you should be so proud of yourself. Keep us posted as regards the long jump.

Goals are good to have and I think once we have reached one it kind of gives us a thirst for another and another .....and well like you said the worlds is your oyster.

When I had my amp I was actually very positive, having been 'disabled' for many years I saw it as a begining not an end. I looked forward to being able to do things I couldn't do before. It hasn't quite worked out like that for me..........not yet anyway.

I still have my goals from the simple tasks in life to the great challenges, when times are tough it's people like you who remind me that anything is possible :D

Thanks...............Lynne

Andy,

I have the same drive as you do. Every time I ran a race my goal was to beat my last finish time and most times I did but sometimes I didn't. My next goal is my century ride and every day that I don't ride is one more day my goal is slipping away. I'll get there though it's just a matter of timing.

Guest bearlover

Cathrine! LOVE the cat! I want to achieve so much and it dosen't seem to be happing. I'm a L/bk for 3 years now in July. Just the everyday things are still hard for me. But before the big "A" as we call it. I was very limited due to a birth defect. So I really don't know the difference. But i can imangine. My Dr. promissed me that I would be pain free and be active, something that i always wanted. The amputation was a matter of life and death. So I really had no choice. However, my Dr. I feel mis lead me. I would like to walk or stand or just be on my leg for more than 1 hour. Well right now about 30 minutes is all I can manage. 45 minutes is pushing it before the pain makes me sit down. I 'm able to ride a bike but not for very long.I wore braces all my life so i'm use to limitations. But I had hoped for a much better life with a prosthetic. Boy was I wrong! At times I feel I'm a lot worse as far as my mobility go's. I do have a very loving supportive husband. Who has been great and encourages me completly. And usually knows my limits. I would like to do some shopping in a grocery store without a electric cart. Or walk through a mall. from store to store. Right now I have to drive as close as I can to the store I want to shop in. Get back in my car and drive to a closer place when I want to visit another store, at the same mall. I also wat to walk around our circle where we live. I hope to achieve this at some point. But I really feel that I'm as good as I will ever be. I have a excellant prosthetist who is great. And wants to help me achieve these things. I have had mant sockets, liners, adjustments to help me. But so far nothing seems to work. I have also had a life time of pain. So some amputees continue to have more pain then and I'm one of them. This is something my Fr. who amputated never told me. he just sid "I will give you a life and you will be active and pain free" NOT this has not happned as of yet. I just life day to day. I keep on fighting and tyring. My prosthetist has commented that he has never seen any one push themselfs so much as I do. But what am I do do? I hope it dose get btter. But Now I am starting to have my doubts. Thanks! sorry I rambled on so much.!

Keep going, Andy. You will achieve every goal you set.

I have been thinking recently, when you become an amputee how much do you want to achieve? Do you just want to return to normal, doing ordinary every day things, or do you have a drive to want achieve more?

My first goal was obviously to walk and then to go back to school. I achieved both of them, but i still had a drive in me to want to do more, so i decided to go travelling and to uni.

Still now i dont think thats enough, im off to dublin to compete in Junior World Championships in Long Jump in july.. This is a goal, im hoping to achieve it if all goes to plan.. but y stop there.

The world is an oyster... theres so many things out there to do.

Andy

x

Good on ya, Andy! :D

I took part in Junior Championships...and (come to think of it) one Senior Championship when I was about your age...and I came away with medals, despite being put in the wrong category. B)

It's good to have ambitions! :D

Lizzie :)

my main goal is, that i am ok with myself. when i am ok, then other goals come from alone :)

yesterday i tried to find out if itsd possible to get onelegged without help of the hands up from a chair.....it worked fine...also sitting down. just one of the small things in life.

Hey Andy, well done girly! B)

I admire your get up and go and have no doubts that you WILL achieve everything you set out to.

Good luck in July ;)

Hi Andy,

Congratulations! I'm sure you will knock em dead, especially after all that Guinness I am sure you will drink!

You know what else, I think you are definitely right about the desire to achieve thing. Before my amputation I was pretty much just bumbling along in life, getting on with it, but I don't know how much real focus I had. The amputation has really changed that. I think that the tsunami and all that went with it really brought home to me how fragile life is and how you just have to go for it while you can.

Hence the bike ride, which I know I never in a million years would have attempted before.

It is funny but in a way I sometimes wonder if it was actually a pretty good thing to happen to me. It definitely feels like a dividing line of "before" and "after" was drawn over my life, and I think I am possibly a more ambitious and enterprising person in the "after" than I was in the "before". So yes, I think you are right Andy.

You are right, there is so much out there to see and do, and you shouldn't waste a moment not doing it!

x x

"I yam what I yam" Always have been - always will be.

Now, with that said, I do believe that events come along that inspire us to use talents or abilities that have laid dormat throughout our years.

I don't think any of us really know what we are capable of until we are challenged. God knows that what we all have been through is challenging - in every way.

I was inspired to climb a ladder and sit on the roof during the first two months after my amputation. Up the ladder, one foot and one knee at a time. And I still had my cast on. Once I got to the roof, I scooted around on my behind until I got where I wanted. Then I came down, the same way I got up. That simple act reaassured me that I could do anything I wanted. But then that has always been my personality.

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead".

These accomplishments can be ever bit as challenging as riding a bicycle, running in olympics, or playing hockey. I recently received an email from a young lady in England excitedly telling me how she managed to walk up her first curb that day. It - to her - was all of the sports, dances, olympics, and bike rides rolled up into one. She will never do the glamorous, but to her she conquered Mt. Everest that day.

I definitely don't mean to belittle any accomplishments, but I just want to remind some that will never do the sport things, or heroics, that their accomplishments of just walking up a curb for the first times are monumental - in my mind.

Jim,

Of course I agree with you there. Every step taken which brings us closer to the way life used to be before amputation is a HUGE achievement. It was actually only the other day that I myself realised that I could actually step up on curbs with my bad leg instead of having to stop and make sure that I was doing it with my good leg, and I have been patting myself on my back ever since (well if I could reach my back without spraining my shoulder I would be).

But I think that what Andy is trying to ask (and correct me if I am wrong Andy), is whether people feel more driven to achieve more after amputation than before. Not just physically, but in every way, hence her A Levels, university, ambition to be a nurse etc. I think the physical achievements, big or small, are part of it, but I think the real point is that amputation has made her more determined to live life and be happy and achieve goals than she was before.

Sorry if you got this anyway, I just wanted to set the record straight. By going on about the bike ride I am not trying to rub people's noses in it that I can do this and physically I am better than anyone else, because that is about as far away from the truth as you can get. I was just trying to agree with Andy that yes, the amputation has made me want to achieve more.

To me the whole fundraising side of my bike ride is far more important than the bike ride itself as when it comes down to it I am always going to be OK sitting here in England with the NHS ready to help me if I need it, regardless of whether I am riding bikes or whatever. It is the people in Asia, who were lying in bed next to me after the tsunami, in exactly the same situation, but who weren't able to go home to private hospitals and the NHS and free legs, and people there ready to help them whenever they needed it day in day out who I am trying to help.

And all I was trying to say in my post was that before the amputation I would have felt sorry for them, and I would have thought that that was an awful situation to be in, but I probably would not have actually even thought about doing something practical to help them. The amputation has changed my perspective on that, and so in that way yes it has made me want to achieve more.

Fiona

"how fragile life is and how you just have to go for it while you can. "

@fiona

thats the most important sentece for my life. i want to live the life i want....at once! :lol: not waiting for future...future can be a very short time.

ciao thomas

Hi guys,

I'd be happy to lose a couple of pounds (or stones). :D

Would definitely improve my agility, and make me sexier, too. :lol:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. <_<

Regards,

Mike RHD

I'd be happy to lose a couple of pounds (or stones). :D

Would .... make me sexier, too. :lol:

Or alternatively just smear your body in chocolate... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim,

And all I was trying to say in my post was that before the amputation I would have felt sorry for them, and I would have thought that that was an awful situation to be in, but I probably would not have actually even thought about doing something practical to help them. The amputation has changed my perspective on that, and so in that way yes it has made me want to achieve more.

Fiona

Oh Boy. Here I've done it again. I am always getting in trouble with my directness. To me, I am making perfect sense, but I am always told that I am blunt and direct. (My wife especially reminds me of this trait.)I did not try to say by any means that I do not respect and admire the accomplishments of yourself, and others- however motivated. I sincerely aplogize if I was out of order.

I was just trying to recognize those also, who may not be athletically inclined and are achieving miracles in just the everyday events of life. I did not mean to take anything away from the A achievers however. Their accomplishments are absolutely amazing, but will never be realized by the vast majority. My attempt was to encourage others to to do just what you are doing - try to the best of their ability.

I was hoping to pull them up - not you down. I am sorry if I misspoke.

Hi Jim,

I didn't think that you were mis speaking. I just thought that maybe you had read what Andy and I and the others that posted in this thread had written wrongly.

The point that I was trying to make was that the desire to do more since the amputation has come in every aspect of life, not just the physical aspect. In fact, the physical aspect has nothing to do with it. For Andy, she has done her A Levels and started a degree and she says that she has done all this with more motivation than maybe she would have had it not been for the amputation.

I have decided to do something to help others since my amputation, and I was just saying that I have done it with more motivation than maybe I would have had it not been for the amputation. Well, I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't had the amputation.

That was all.

I suppose that point I am trying to make is that I would guess that it is true to say for most people that they have been more motivated to achieve things since their amputations than they were before them. Whatever those things are. That is all.

I was only using what I have done as an example. Not pushing it forward as the thing to do. And trust me Jim, you wouldn't say I was in any way accomplished if you actually saw me attempting to cycle to work without causing major traffic chaos, or waddling along in my leg for the rest of the day.

Anyway, you weren't out of order at all, and no worries. I hope my posts don't offend you either. I am just trying to explain what I was trying to say in my original post (obviously not very effectively, but there we go)

Fiona

:D Fiona

You and I are going to stumble all over each other trying to "explain". I think that the short is that you and Andy were talking about the source of your motivation, and I was going on about the accomplishment itself.

I switched gears on you. "My tongue got wrapped around my eye tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying"

Mia Culpa.

Guest bearlover

:) I Don't care for or uee the word "DISABLED" we all have our challanges but we should try to focus on abilty and what we can do, not what we can't do. I prefer to use the word mobiltiy challanged. And I'm not a PC person by any means. I was born with a birth defect than eventually lead to my amputation. And was raised to not look at my self as disabled or handicapped. I just have to do things a little different than well abled people!

With that great attitude Andy, the sky's the limit!! I wish you all the best come July and please keep us posted!! B) ;)

Sheila

:)

post-452-1147282173.gif

:) I Don't care for or uee the word "DISABLED" we all have our challanges but we should try to focus on abilty and what we can do, not what we can't do. I prefer to use the word mobiltiy challanged. And I'm not a PC person by any means. I was born with a birth defect than eventually lead to my amputation. And was raised to not look at my self as disabled or handicapped. I just have to do things a little different than well abled people!

I totally agree!!! I couldn't have said it better myself! :D

Lizzie :)