Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
girly_wales

How much do you want to achieve?

Guest bearlover

For me becomming a amputee has not been al that bad. You see I always had a pretty bad leg. Due to a bith defect. I had many unsuccessful operations onmy leg since age 8 months. Amputation was suggested back then, but my parents chose to keep the leg. It was not much of a leg. I was very limited. I wore braces and cast all my life. Until a searious bone infection from all the operations made me lose the leg anyway. What i find hard dealing with is that so far the amputation has not gone very well. I'm actually worse off now then with the crummy leg. The only good thing about is I can now buy one pair of shoes! Before with my real leg I had a size 5 on the left leg (the bad leg) and a size 9 on the good leg. So that part is good. I still can't whear all the style shoes I would love to wear. But then again that is nothing I could ever do. My stump is not that strong. Due to all the work I had on my leg. I have nerve damage and poor muscels in it. I also found out I have a rather large neruoma in it. Just doing the everyday things can be a challange for me. I keep on pushing my self. I would get no whear. If I did not. Self pity is not a option for me. I was not raised that way. I do hope it gets better with time. Bear 3 year amputee LBK. THanks for listening!

I just want to be able to do my shopping without using a electric cart. Push the cart ahead of me! Not sit in one!

Give yourself just a little time...I thought that I saw in one of your previous posts, that you hadn't been on a leg very long......I also noticed that you stated you has a huge neuroma..... Is your doctor planning on doing anything about the neuroma? I hear they can be a real b**ch..but that they can be worked on.

Each step we take, is a progression.. It takes time, and endurance, and all of that.. My biggest problem was once my leg was on, I kept going.....(most of us know what can happened too). I pushed myself too hard, and ended up getting set back. Then, I had to go back to square one, without the leg and not bearing weight on it.... For me, that was pretty bad.... I hated it.... It was my own doing though...It took me several weeks to regain what I had lost by over doing it. I'm sure that in time, you wil be able to shop with just using a 'push cart'. Do you know, to this day, I still use one....It just seems like it is easier to have something to lean on, I guess it takes pressure off...what ever it is, it works!.

Hang in there...you will get there..... day at a time, one step at a time....

Higgy

Thank you for the compliment, Afet, but I wasn't trying to be profound. I was only speaking from the heart.

Tammie

Thank you for the compliment, Afet, but I wasn't trying to be profound. I was only speaking from the heart.

I know.. that's what made it profound ;)

Guest bearlover

HI higgie, I also pushed myself in the begining I got real sick for 2 months. It ws just 1 month after my amputation and I was out all over the place. trying to get my self moving. But It back fired, As far as the neuroma My new socket is made so it dose not touch the area of the neuroma. And it has helped. No surgery for me. And they do grow bac in sosme people. I hope I do get better. Again I never had a real great "real" leg to start with. Thanks for the knind words! Bear

I know.. that's what made it profound ;)

My toughts exactly, Afet. Outstanding reply, Higgy! :D

Bear,

I'm glad that your newest leg is fitting so well... Now, just give yourself some time. You have had the misfortune of over doing it as well, so you know, "that ain't no fun place to be".

I have heard that they do grow back, but not always. As I said before, don't be in a rush, and just try to take it one day at a time. Maybe, trying to just accomplish one more thing than yesterday is the way to tackle the problem.

When Pop was going through his doctor's appointments, radiation,etc. I wasn't even a year into my first socket. Now mind you, the rest of my body was healing as well.. I would get so frustrated because I felt like I was letting him down(,as well as my own husband who was shouldering all of the work on the farm,) not being able to do some of the things that I had trained for and done for years.. However, I found that I could be as effective being "straw boss" if you will. Maybe I couldn't do the physical work, but I could damn sure make sure that he had good care,and everything else taken care of too. That way, he didn't have to worry about those things getting done...It was very effective in the end... I was able to stay bedside with him, and that was what was important..

So you see, I guess what I am trying to say, is step back,(pardon the pun) take a good look..... and realize the good things that you do each day.... They will outweigh the things that we worry about not being able to do.....no matter how small they are, they add up....

Take care....

Higgy

Guest bearlover

Thanks again Higgie. Advice and kind words and thoughts are so much appreciated! :)

Hey just thought I'd let you all know that even if i didnt quity i still wouldnt be able to go.

My leg has been giving me a little bit of jip recently, so i went to see my docotr and there seems to be calcification of the bone, so end of June they are goign to open it, wash it out and reclose it. They are guessing I will be off my leg for any thing up to 6 weeks. I dont know what im goign to do, as I wear my leg when ever I am awake.

When I have the operation my parents are away so i am going to stay with my aunty and uncle for a few days, they only live 2 mins away.

I kinda knew it was coming, I dont know why I jst had a feelin.

Jst thought I'd share.

Andy

xx

Hey Andy. I'm sorry to hear about you having to go through this. You say that you've kind of expected it, but still........

Much luck, and hope that you are back on your "feet" as soon as possible. Be sure to let us know.

Guest bearlover

Sorry to hear this Andy, What a frustrating thing for you. I know how you must feel :( Hang in there. Things will improve once you get better and heal. You have my sympathy and understanding :)

Sorry to hear the news, Andy. Hopefully it will be over soon and you'll be back up and running. Take care.

Hi Andy

I hate those sort of 'feelings'...they're horrible aren't they? :(

I know it's frustrating, but I'm sure once you've had the surgery, you be back training within a few months. :)

Take care

Lizzie :)

Chin up Andy you'll be back 100% soon enough. :)

Sorry to hear about that, Andy.

I wish you a speedy recovery, but I know you'll be back on your feet in no time :)