Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
HEATHERN

FLIP FLOPS

MY SIX YEAR OLD DAUGHTER IS GETTING VERY UPSET LATELY.!!!!!! HOW DO YOU GET FLIP FLOPS TO STAY ON AND IN PLACE? :huh: WE'VE TRYED DOUBLE SIDED TAPE, NEXT WILL BE VELCRO.

Does her foot have the gap between the big toe and the rest?

What I do is shove the thonge inbetween my toes then use a clear strap fasened around the flip flop to keep it on . I use a bra strap but other people have found any cord or sting works anything you can make a back out of really.

Okay that makes it easier to wear then. Try making a back strap for the flip flops so it can't slide off as easily.

velcro like you suggessted might work as well. You may have to do a little experimenting to see what works best so I recomend the cheep foam flip flops to play with before you get any pricy ones.

If I can get a hold of a digital camera I'll take pictures of my flip flops and show you what I've done.

it's what the thingamagig is called. *rolls eyes*

Here are some photos of my swim leg in a flip flop. I don't know if you can see the stap in the photo but I choose a clear strap so that it would blend in a little better. Not that it really matters from what you can see of my swim leg. Yes it is blue with magical creatures all over it.

e52f9135.jpg

d811bbd0.jpg

try this. I hate my computer a little right now. and where is the edit button???

post-1117-1147649605.jpg

Pixy, my photo cuts off just before the strap. Could you try it again? I really want to see how this works.

Thanks.

let's see if this works

post-1117-1147659043_thumb.jpg

Here are some photos of my swim leg in a flip flop. I don't know if you can see the stap in the photo but I choose a clear strap so that it would blend in a little better. Not that it really matters from what you can see of my swim leg. Yes it is blue with magical creatures all over it.

e52f9135.jpg

d811bbd0.jpg

I couldn't open the pics luv

let's see if this works

They look fabulous..love the colour :D

this is a thread close to my heart as im dying to wear flip flops! i have tried a pressstud on the toe and on the flip-flop, velcro..... nothing works for me!! im not sure on the strap idea.... looks too flimsey... does it break often? i was thinking if drilling a small hole through my big toe and into the next toe and when i wear the flipflops puch a nail (or similar) in the hole and then you will stop the 'thong' bit of the flipflop from coming away from the foot.... did i explain that ok? i can visualise what i want to do but not describe it very well.

The strap hasn't broken on me yet. It's a clear bra strap so I can tighten it up if needed. That way the shoe can't slip off and it is snug to my foot.

so far so good.

Hi Tony

I've been thinking about this whole flip-flop problem and I think that, not only is it an attachment problem (i.e. keeping it on your foot), but it may also be the way we amps walk that may be causing the problem.

If you think about the way people in the UK tend to walk with flip-flops, they generally lift up their feet as they walk (as you normally do when you walk in bare feet or in shoes) and so the flip-flops make that characteristic noise, as they hit the foot.

If you then think about the style of walking that people who live in warmer climates use, when they walk in flip-flops (as they wear them more often), you'll notice that they lift their heels but they hardly lift their forefoot off the floor. Instead they tend to raise the foot just enough, so that the flip-flop slides across the ground and therefore doesn't make that characteristic sound.

So, if you could adapt the way you walk slightly when you're wearing flip-flops, you may find them easier to keep on. BTW, I think this would be easier for BK's to do, than AK's.

It's just a thought...

Lizzie :)

I agree lizzie Aks and shoes like flip flops can be a little tricky. I wanted to take up snow showing but I have no idea how that will work with out the ability to really lift the knee without it locking up...hello goose trot.

Okay, Pizy, I bought some clear bra straps but can't figure out how to attach them....any suggestions/

I used the clip part to secure the strap to the flip flop, sort of tying it on. I wrapped it around the strap of the shoe then attached the clip to the rest of the strap. that way I can adjust the tightness to keep the whole thing on my foot.

Does that make any sense?

Okay, Pizy, I bought some clear bra straps but can't figure out how to attach them....any suggestions/

Remove them from the bra first, else you will walk with a hell of a stoop :lol: :lol:

Remove them from the bra first, else you will walk with a hell of a stoop :lol: :lol:

You are a brave man Mike, even venturing into those waters. :o :o :o

I have a question:

For those of you have the split between your toes, do you think it's worth it when it comes to wearing flip flops, etc? I've been tempted to have it done, but would first appreciate any opinions about it!! :huh:

Sheila lbk

Keep Smiling :)

post-452-1148082389.gif

Very funny, Mike.....you guys are such comedians.

Sheila, my foot came with a split toe. I really haven't worn flip flops yet but when wearing sandals it's a little more normal looking. Doesn't totally look like a baby doll foot if you know what I mean.