Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Neal

The first time since the chop

It isn't much, but I loaned my van to my sister so she could use it to move to her new house. I never thought anything about it until she told me her Neon was a manual transmission. The last time I drove a stick was about 6 years ago. I knew I could use the clutch if I could find it. I had trouble at first as you have to depress the clutch almost through the floorboard to start the car. I had to use the middle of the foot on the clutch for enough clearance at the floor. I got it started and eased off the clutch and lurched a few times. I had to move the seat forward a little more than would normally be comfortable.

It all smoothed out and went very well. It is amazing how we know where our foot is at most times even though it is artificial. She's using my van again today so I get to have a little more fun.

Good stuff Neal :)

It is amazing I can always tell where my foot is on the pedal

Hi Neal,

I don't drive (never have), so I can't fully appreciate what this must mean to you, but I wanted to congratulate you on your accomplishment anyway :)

Neal, that is just crazy cool! I won't even drive an automatic using my prosthesis (right foot!). *sigh* MY car is a cute little red car with sun roof, cd player and yes, stick shift. Yikes, I've resigned myself to giving this over to hubby. In exchange I get his clunky old 4 door old lady car -- with high miles yet!

Good going!

Good for you Neal! I tried driving my son's stick one day and almost t-boned another car. That was enough for me. I have realized since getting this new suspension system though, is that driving is much smoother than with the pin system.

Carol

Neal,

Good for you! I drove a stick for years (RBK) and loved it. I haven't driven a stick in about 4 yrs and sometimes I miss it. I will have to borrow one so I can keep the practice. LOL

Neal,

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has noticed that about placement of the foot on the clutch pedal.

As a fellow lbk, I know what you are going through.... I swear, most days on this farm, everything I touch will have a clutch... Tractors, (even though large and heavy) I don't mind as much as I do the truck, and sometimes, the riding lawn mowers..At one time,right after my accident, everything, car included, was a straight shift. Talk about feeling homebound!

The first time I drove the pick-up, I was still in my beginner leg and very new at this, and when I pushed the clutch down, my leg rotated inward, and not knowing it had rotated, I let the clutch pedal out.... Needless to say, I was then "trapped" with my foot on the clutch pedal, behind the brake pedal. :o :rolleyes: Being out in the country, I used the right foot to depress the corner of the clutch pedal, reached down and turned the leg back where it should of been...went on about half a mile and then turned around at a side road to venture back to the house....(Being a worry wort, Hubby probably would of fainted at that one if he had been along that day!) Part of what makes this seem so funny, at least to Hubby and I, is the fact that I'm sort of height challenged, and it was all I had to get the clutch pedal depressed when I had 2 good feet!

In the 4 years since, I have had several episodes with clutches on things, but one thing is for sure.. it can be very tricky, even if it is comical at times....(Like the notorious riding lawn mower, that has to have the pedal depressed with me standing on the ground, to start it. I can't "reach" far enough when it is off to trip the safety switch)

And the second thing, tractors are the easiest, cars come second, and then mowers, pick-ups, etc...

Good luck with the practice, have fun, and stay safe..

Higgy

Congrats Neal,

Can't say I've ever driven a stick in my life. Still, I do drive an automatic without any trouble at all. I'm a BBK & like you said, it's odd but you know where your foot is. It's all good. :) I do have a stupid stipulation on my license. It states I have to have my prosthetics on while driving. What the hell :rolleyes: If I didn't how would I reach the freaking pedals!?! :P

Happy Driving,

Linda

Good stuff Neal :)

It is amazing I can always tell where my foot is on the pedal

From lookin' how fast you're speeding? :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Neal,

Congrats man! I've given up my truck for just that reason and I'm now thinkin' "What a jerk I am!"

I'll be moble in time but again to you, kudo's!!! :)

Stumped!

I admire those of you who can do it, but I really don't think I could drive with my pros foot. I'm rbk and use a left foot adapter. Automatic, of course. Drove a stick shift fine when I was 2 legged but wouldn't even try now unless I was out on some sort of open field with no objects in sight!

Hi Neal,

Dare i ask if this is legal? I am intrigued :)

I am the same as mmarie, i used to drive a manual before amputation but have had my automatic with left foot adapter for a couple of weeks now. It is so great now driving after a break.

Love Yvonne

xx :rolleyes:

I'm left bk so the foot is normally idle when driving an automatic. I don't know how an rbk would handle a stick. Can only speak for myself. I'm sure others can tell you how they do it.

I would never choose a stick again, but it's nice to know I can drive one if the need arises.

I don't know how an rbk would handle a stick.

I just run and fetch it in my mouth like the good boy I am :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know how an rbk would handle a stick.

I just run and fetch it in my mouth like the good boy I am :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's ba-a-a-a-a-ack! Welcome back, Muz! :lol:

Guest bearlover

Way to go Neal! Hey Stumped you will drive again. Because it is your left leg right???? :)

Way to go Neal! Hey Stumped you will drive again. Because it is your left leg right???? :)

Yeah, but you do know about my right foot, remember? :rolleyes::wub: :lol: :lol: :D

That's ok, I still love ya Bear! :)

Hi Neal, Well how did feel to make another yes I did it. I've been driving a clutch for a long time and most people are relly surprised at how well I drive my little jetta tdi with a 5 speed. It comes as second nature to me now and i really enjoy going through the gears. I have two vechicles with clutches. the only time I have difficult is when I can't wear old "peggy". Talk to you soon and remember the only ones who hold us back are ourselves. :D Jerry

Guest bearlover

Love the name "peggy" for your leg. I call mine the beast!! The one before that was Gumby!

Love the name "peggy" for your leg. I call mine the beast!! The one before that was Gumby!

And Bear you know what I call mine! :lol: :lol: For those reading this. I call my leg "The Car" because it costs just as much as a 07 Honda Accord Coupe EX! (really) :lol: :lol: :lol: :angry::blink: :D :D

I'm rbk and usually drive an automatic with left foot accelerator.

As my amputation was due to a motor vehicle accident the LTSA (land transport safety authority) in New Zealand suspended my license. I had to be assessed by an occupation therapist and a driving instructor before I could drive again with the modified car.

I was recently re-assessed (at my request) and can now drive anything again - all restrictions removed from my license. Although I still use the automatic with left foot accelerator most of the time it is good to have the freedom to drive anything.

I'm not sure I would have tried driving a manual vehicle with my earlier prosthetics though. I find that the very secure fit of my (harmony) leg makes it much easier to judge where my foot is (much better proprioception)

David

Hi Bearlover,

I had to call them peggy 1, woody 1, peggy 2, woody 2, peggy 3, woody 3, now I'm on peggy 4. Thought you would "kick" out of that one. :lol: Jerry

Hey Neal. Sorry I missed it, but wanted to give you props on drving the stick. It's a really good feeling doing something alot of people assume you wouldn't. Good deal! I'm glad to hear of your success!!:D :D