Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Fiona Call

Very inconsequential

I have started walking up stairs and curbs foot over foot without really thinking which foot is going first - yipeee!!

And today I had to go to a bridesmaids dress fitting for my friend's wedding (at which I am a bridesmaid) and I think I shocked the fitting lady with my leg - it was quite amusing......

And on Friday I had my first journey to work holding a weekend bag which was heavy and which I know I couldn't have carried a couple of months ago. My journey to work involves a ten minute walk to the tube (if you are being quick) then a 20 minute tube journey in circunstances only londoners or anyone who has been on the tube at rush hour can understand (not good) then ten minutes walk when I get off. I know it is only a little thing but I was well chuffed when I got there on Friday.

I think things may finally be returning to the way they were (god help the world...)

x x x x x

p.s. am going to bed now as I am very tipsy indeed after the bridesmaid dress fitting - hat do they mean a size 12????????

Fiona,

What an AMAZING achievement, you deserve to be on top of the world. I have been on the underground and it was bad enough with 2 legs.

Tipsy, you should be totally drunk!!! :D

Well done pet.

Love Yvonne

xx

Fiona, Realizing that the inconsequential, everyday activities are back to BEING inconsequential and everyday is the mark of a HUGE accomplishment! Be very, very proud of yourself... you've earned it!

take care... cherylm

Fiona, Realizing that the inconsequential, everyday activities are back to BEING inconsequential and everyday is the mark of a HUGE accomplishment!

That's exactly what I was thinking, Cheryl.

Fiona, well done! This is isn't inconsequential at all... for you, it is a major accomplishment. And thank you for sharing it with us :D

I live in South London and once had a job in North London which I travelled to by tube. This meant travelling time of an hour packed like a sardine... with THREE different changes! OMG, I don't know how I survived <_<

So I can fully appreciate what this means to you.

And the curb thing too. You know you're finally doing ok when you don't have to think about which foot you'll use to get up the curb. Great stuff! :D

Hell ... if my simple showering can make it here, then why not you lugging a holdall onto the tube then walking quite a way, up and down curbs, to work??? :lol:

I have started walking up stairs and curbs foot over foot without really thinking which foot is going first - yipeee!!

And today I had to go to a bridesmaids dress fitting for my friend's wedding (at which I am a bridesmaid) and I think I shocked the fitting lady with my leg - it was quite amusing......

And on Friday I had my first journey to work holding a weekend bag which was heavy and which I know I couldn't have carried a couple of months ago. My journey to work involves a ten minute walk to the tube (if you are being quick) then a 20 minute tube journey in circunstances only londoners or anyone who has been on the tube at rush hour can understand (not good) then ten minutes walk when I get off. I know it is only a little thing but I was well chuffed when I got there on Friday.

Loads of achievements & good fun too! :D It sounds like that, it was a wonderful day!

You had a lot to celebrate!! :P

Lizzie :)

PS (I hope your head doesn't feel too sore today...? ;))

Well done Fiona. Returning to NORMAL doesn't necessarily mean what used to pass for normal. It means what is normal today. A slightly different balance, or gait, but normal none-the-less. Soon, you won't even think amputee It is all just a way of life.

I remember the tube from my time in London in 1957. (April to be specific) Being a California boy, I had never ridden on anything like it. I can only imagine the increase in crowds since then however.

You go girl! :D

It's all a great big good deal!

Fiona that's wonderful and you should quite rightly be proud.

BUT .... shouldn't you be riding that bike and not taking the tube. I need to protect my investment in you completing that cycle ride. I shall expect a full training update on a weekly basis :lol: :lol:

For those of you not sure what I'm talking about have a look here Bike Ride

Oh and feel free put in a handful of you local currency I'm sure the girls will be delighted :lol:

Nothing quite beats forgetting that you're an amputee :)

That's what I keep trying to tell people. Forget about the leg. Be cautious, just go. Once you forget that you are walking on a stilt, your gait and abilities will improve.

Hurray for Fiona!!!

Hi Fiona

In answer to your question................yes you did spell it wrong.

It's not 'inconsequential' - it's YAY-FOR-ME-I-AM-A-GODDESS!!!!!!!!!

Whoooooooooohooooooooo -awesome!

Ally

:P

Congratulations Fiona,

It's a great feeling when we regain part of something (even if to an outsider it seems inconsequential) that we felt like we had lost....Actually, it's usually an awesome feeling......

Good job.........

Higgy

Fiona,

Way to go! Enjoy this feeling and how great an accomplishment it is!

Carol

Thank you all,

Yes Lizzie I did have a bit of a sore head on Sunday. In fact, I had forgotten about this post until it popped up on my computer this morning - oh dearey me.....

And Mike - trust me - your investment is being well protected - I have been buffeted around London in the wind and rain so much during the past week that I look like a weather beaten sailor back from a journey to Japan and back....where is the summer? where? where?

x x x x

Nothing quite beats forgetting that you're an amputee :)

... until you step out of bed one morning and end up on the floor :)

I have been buffeted around London in the wind and rain so much during the past week that I look like a weather beaten sailor back from a journey to Japan and back.

... and what is wrong with that may I ask?? :)

Guest bearlover

:D :D Stairs are still a chalange for me. We have a set of about 12 stairs in our house. When the leg is off I just climb up. And have fun slideing down!!

Muz is back???????

Darned right ... and just in case anyone was feeling something wasn't quite right with the picture. It was taken in 1997 when I had two legs and a hell of a smaller waistline. :lol:

Darned right ... and just in case anyone was feeling something wasn't quite right with the picture. It was taken in 1997 when I had two legs and a hell of a smaller waistline. :lol:

Muz, I can relate: Two legs and a half a lifetime ago!! :blink: I was having photos taken today for a local article on amputees and I begged the photographer to use her "weight reducing" lens! No go...

Good piccie Muz,

How long were you in Japan for? I lived there for a year after I finished uni. Bizzare place. But fun.

F

I was only there for a week, part of a goodwill visit by the Royal Navy but it was fun.